Bike for my wife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I have been struggling to find a suitable bike for my beloved who is also 5ft nothing and have tried several different styles of bike, at the moment she seems to have settled on a step through racing type bike with the 24" wheels from the eighties and after some riding now gets on and off by lifting her leg over the rear of the seat. This bike has been through several different set ups now and we are on the look out for a 24" wheeled mtb to scavenge wheels and gears from to upgrade to the next step from the 3 speed Sturmey. Without the step through we would not have progressed. It has been a bit of a trial to get this far but she has now seen a Giant which is a cross between a small ladies and a childs bike but is on 700c's and we are looking into getting it on the CTW scheme. We have tried Mountain bikes, sit up and begs and shopping bikes all to no avail. It has helped that my LBS has a lady of similar stature to help guide her through the process.

Good luck the bikes are out there (somewhere)

Gaz

We went through the same sort of dilemma and ended up with this;

d123f5cd0e1c6bd50f5405af83e443e0_zpsf77ee84e.jpg

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
The Giant looks nice but I doubt she would get her leg over the Raleigh.

Gaz's comment about the bikes with 24" wheels is something I thought about. I may be wrong but would they be considered kids bikes and would they be suitable for a heavy adult.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
They could be considered kids bikes but we had got down to the choice of this or a bmx, the one we have (Doris) had been supplied new with a five speed but had been converted to a sturmey, the tubing is certainly up to the job of carrying a larger framed adult and the wheels are not too far from a raleigh twenty's in construction and are 36 spoke so well built. When my beloved is seated on it, it is all in proportion and she finds the fit to be well suited. Like I say it is a stop gap to a more modern solution but has got her riding voluntarily, I think it will have more legs with some modern 24"s and the option of a 5 speed, some of these being used by the downhill off road types so should also be up to the job and there are road tyres available if you look hard enough. Like I say I have changed many components on it to give it a more grown up feel. We are looking at cyclo cross type double levers for it too as the eighties style safety levers I have fitted are not great as she cannot get a good grip on the drop lever with her more petite hands. I am not saying it is a solution that will suit everyone of a petite stature or be an ideal c2c bike but for the local journeys and out of town jaunts it is well up to the measure and is growing with her confidence and my mods.It also has shorter cranks a lower bottom bracket height which also help with the fit too and is well worth looking out for as she can reach the floor without too much of a compromised riding position It has also saved a good bit of cash doing it this way as it has taken a few bikes to find what she actually wanted, at first it was sit up and beg with a basket or nothing. We have stumbled upon a saddle that now will be with her until it wears out which is also good.

again good luck and keep looking!

Gaz

Chris S

Legendary Member
I got a new bike for the wife last week. Not a bad swap ...

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran

Sara_H

Guru
Lovely looking bike. I'm picking up a Dawes Mojave on monday on a local authority bike loan scheme, Get to ride it for a month then buy it if I like it. I'd been looking for a step through frame also as I just prefer them, don't like having to cock my leg over, especially when I'm wearing a skirt or dress!
I am updating this thread. It has been a long time coming but at long last we found the bike for her that she feels comfortable on. It should be coming tomorrow. The bike is in lovely condition, virtually as new. It is being picked up today by courier (not parcel force as per the listing!) and should be with us tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Raleigh-Elegance-bike-/231065360034?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35cc9196a2&nma=true&si=XkdnFzsLfLfwoM%2BNdI2AcVRyEEA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Top Bottom