Bike Hanging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just thinking . i could hang one upside down in my set up so get two bikes on the same wall and lock them together . The only problem is i would want the TT bike on the outside and that puts the rear disc wheel very close to a radiator . I'm a bit concerned that the heat from the radiator on one side of the wheel may warp it . May be a daft concern but its made me hmmmmmmmm .
Any opinions ?

Citius

I'm a bit concerned that the heat from the radiator on one side of the wheel may warp it . May be a daft concern but its made me hmmmmmmmm .

Unless your radiator heats your room to +180 deg C and the room is somehow airtight and pressurised to around 7 bar or more, I think it'll be fine....

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I should contact the seller of these hooks and ask for a referral fee.
Thanks for all the posts, have just read this thread and others on CC, then splashed out a tenner on four hooks. They'll be going up in the shed, and I hope to make a bit more space so I can work on the bikes more easily.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
No wonder the Chinese economy is going through a blip - how on earth do they manufacture 4 items as substantial as these, and ship them to the UK at a price low enough that a dealer can flog them to me for £9.99, pay Yodel to deliver them, pay eBay fees and still make a worthwhile profit
Mine arrived this morning after ordering them at 6.31pm on December 29. So they arrived after ordering late on day 1, day 2 was a working day then a weekend and a bank holiday and they arrived in the morning of Day 3. Amazingly quick. I weighed them. The package was 2.5 kilos, inc screws and Rawlplugs. My Royal Mail postie delivered it. The get-a-price online calculator for Royal Mail tells me a parcel weighing more than 2 kilos would cost £12.98.
So - I paid a tenner for this. There's:
  • cost of the designers,
  • rent of the premises in China,
  • raw materials,
  • manufacturing costs,
  • wages,
  • transport from China,
  • eBay fee of 14 per cent of sale price,
  • handling in the UK,
  • the internal UK postage,
  • VAT,
  • profit to the investors who set up the company in the first place.
How can this be possible?

screenman

Legendary Member
Wages are low.
Postage is often subsidized.
Copies, so designer not needed.
Rent is minimal
Raw products, pence.
VAT? Was there.
Profit, like wages.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Postage is often subsidized..
The postage was from inside the UK to an internal UK address, so it cannot have been subsidised by the Chinese government. Hence the speeedy turnround.

Rustybucket

Veteran
I'm thinking of hanging my bikes in the garage now! What's the max bike weight you think you could hang? I've got a Genesis Day one with Alfine hub which weighs plus 12 kg!

Hopefully be able to hang 5 bikes in a row. Is it possible to hang them low enough so the garage door doesn't hit them when open? Reckon it would be a tight fit...

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you buy some of those big red plastic-coated hooks from DIY stores and screw them into the ceiling joists the spacing is just perfect for hanging a row of bikes alternately top to tail. As for straining the bike by hanging it up - you're talking a bike that's designed to carry and brake the weight of somebody of up to 100 kilos and you're worried about the bike weighing 10 kilos self-destructing?

spen666

Legendary Member
Hanging is a cruel and brutal punishment and I oppose the death penalty in all circumstances. I cant think of any circumstances where a bike deserves to be executed

On the topic of hanging bikes. My garage roof is a steel truss structure.

Is there issues hanging bikes up by their saddle? So hooking the saddle over beam?

Top Bottom