Bike Hanging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Cano

Forget the above. All sorted. Starting to take shape in the garage now. Just needs a final tidy up and some paint at some point. Wall anchors and locks too.

View attachment 103043 View attachment 103044
I see you have hung your bikes by the rear wheel, any reason. The one thing I was wary of was the strain on the headset or carbon forks by hanging them up. Perhaps this way might be better does anyone think the same way?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have just bought two of those hooks for man cave too. Think i will hang them front wheel up with back wheel on the floor

Citius

The one thing I was wary of was the strain on the headset or carbon forks by hanging them up

The strain of having 8-10kg through the headset while hanging up - compared to the strain of supporting 70-80kg+ through the headset while being ridden. Hmmmm...

Tin Pot

Guru
Duration is not really relevant. That load is massively within the frame's capability. If it wasn't, it would collapse as soon as you sat on it.

Agreed, but my concern is the angle of load. Probably nothing, but the bikes would've been designed on the premise of being upright?

Is anyone testing the load on the rims, hub, etc?

I hang mine upside down, and I wonder if that's the cause for the occasionally oddity.

Tony Cano

Now that I've committed to hanging my bikes up, I'll just make a point of riding them on a regular basis, even if it's just a once round the block or on the rollers.

Ian A

Über Member
Agreed, but my concern is the angle of load. Probably nothing, but the bikes would've been designed on the premise of being upright?

Is anyone testing the load on the rims, hub, etc?

I hang mine upside down, and I wonder if that's the cause for the occasionally oddity.
That was my initial thought. I'm thinking of hanging them alternate ways up every time I use them.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I see you have hung your bikes by the rear wheel, any reason. The one thing I was wary of was the strain on the headset or carbon forks by hanging them up. Perhaps this way might be better does anyone think the same way?
I thought about that too, but discounted it. Unfortunately I have to agree with @Citius on this. It's a one off occasion! :smile:

My decision was based on preferring it aesthetically, along with find it easier to mount them with the wheel not moving side to side.

Top Bottom