Bike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyingfifi

Über Member
Am looking for the best people who do Bike insurance I,ve got 3 bikes now all good names so my home insurance a bit over the top :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New home insurance then !!

Bikes cost about £10 per £100 to insure with independent companies. I have an extension on my household policy for bikes over £1000. Cost is £90 per year. Co-operative Insurance on contents.

vickster

Legendary Member
Zurich via the AA for me, covers bikes of value up to £1500 without needing to name. Adds little to my premium

Bike specific insurance is v expensive, and they have very strict Ts & Cs

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My home insurance is with the AA and I've named my 4 bikes, my cameras and my guitars on the policy, the whole lot added about a tenner to the premium for the year.
Have a look about with other home insurers, they are not all out to fleece cyclists.

Bikes are high risk, different insurers have different criteria. Some throw in European cover, mine does and I'm insured with British Gas. No idea why, they were cheapest.

Quite interested in this at the mo.

Does anyone have cover for accidental damage - i'm thinking solo, group riding and racing?? If so is it an extension on their home insurance or independent bike insurance?

Home insurance currently covers fire and theft which is good but i am always fearful of cracking a frame or similar during a ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Quite interested in this at the mo.

Does anyone have cover for accidental damage - i'm thinking solo, group riding and racing?? If so is it an extension on their home insurance or independent bike insurance?

Home insurance currently covers fire and theft which is good but i am always fearful of cracking a frame or similar during a ride.
I have accidental damage cover, which I assume covers the bikes (although I'd have to check the small print), as well as cover away from home. However, I doubt it covers racing, you'd be best to look at what British Cycling offer in that regard

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/bikeinsurance

I have accidental damage cover, which I assume covers the bikes (although I'd have to check the small print), as well as cover away from home. However, I doubt it covers racing, you'd be best to look at what British Cycling offer in that regard

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/bikeinsurance
Had a look at British cycling as one of our club members thought Gold membership provided accidental damage cover. It does not. It provides personal injury cover to some extent. I also noted that British cycling don't seem to get involved if the 3rd party is also a member of BC. This most certainly does not cover racing or club riding then as most, if not all, will be members. So the 3rd party insurance seems to be only useful with motorists and anyone else not connected to BC, or if you yourself are at fault in an accident. Admittedly worth having, especially for the cost.

I will likely just get in touch an ask them to give me a quote but i think it is going to be very expensive.

Thanks for the recommendation Vickster.

OP
OP
flyingfifi

flyingfifi

Über Member
Am with the AA. Now thay say will not insurance my bikes because its in a wooden garage high rick of broken into of fire bummsss:banghead:

vickster

Legendary Member
Had a look at British cycling as one of our club members thought Gold membership provided accidental damage cover. It does not. It provides personal injury cover to some extent. I also noted that British cycling don't seem to get involved if the 3rd party is also a member of BC. This most certainly does not cover racing or club riding then as most, if not all, will be members. So the 3rd party insurance seems to be only useful with motorists and anyone else not connected to BC, or if you yourself are at fault in an accident. Admittedly worth having, especially for the cost.

I will likely just get in touch an ask them to give me a quote but i think it is going to be very expensive.

Thanks for the recommendation Vickster.

You could just put the extra premium money aside for the event that you do need a new frame. Also check any excess on any policy

Wiggle now offer insurance, might be worth a look https://cycleinsurance.wiggle.co.uk/

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Cracking a frame wouldn't be accidental damage, it would be wear and tear. I think.

An accident - an unintentional incident
Wear & Tear - inevitable

If you crack your frame intentionally, it's not unintentional and therefore not an accident. But you'd have to be pretty nuts to do it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have about £1500 of theft cover for three bikes. It works abroad too for three weeks a year. It costs about £25 extra on my home contents insurance and it doesn't have the usual weasel clauses about lock type, abandonment etc that bike-specific insurance companies use to wriggle out of paying. BTW, I've no idea if they will pay up because they have never been put to the test.

Top Bottom