Bike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
To resurrect an old thread, does accidental damage cover generally cover you for damage to bike and clothing etc if you have a solo crash on the bike?

I know different companies will be...well, different but do you have this cover and at what cost?

Cheers,

ssd.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'd need to ask your specific insurance supplier

British cycling offer accidental damage for example if looking for a policy

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/bikeinsurance

U

User6179

To resurrect an old thread, does accidental damage cover generally cover you for damage to bike and clothing etc if you have a solo crash on the bike?

I know different companies will be...well, different but do you have this cover and at what cost?

Cheers,

ssd.

From what I have read in the small print of some insurance companies , they wont cover clothing , garmins , lights , etc and they don't cover scratches , dents , basically you have to break the frame, wheels, etc for a claim.

dim

I've taken out insurance 2 weeks ago on 2 of my bikes

done loads of research and opted for the Wiggle elite insurance package (this is the top of their range insurance, and they have 2 other cheaper options)

I insured my old specialized S-Works transition for £1250, and my Giant TCR composite for £1000 .... my monthly premium is £17 and a few pennies. here is the link:

https://cycleinsurance.wiggle.co.uk/

and here is a comparisson:
https://cycleinsurance.wiggle.co.uk/comparison

Last edited:

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
I too am folowing this thread.

Trying to judge what would be the best combo of accidental damage bike cover and 3rd party cover. Currently checking home insurance to see what the cost and terms are, but also seeing what bike specific cover is out there just in case.

What's the rule of thumb on yearly cost relative to bike value for cycle specific cover? ~10%

Am leaning to the British cycling options (discounts and recommendations by others). @vickster I think you are a member, I think there are some bonuses for London members - few extra months free, and insurance savings as well - that still available? Also, is the BC thing about no cover for incidents with other BC members only for events, not commuting?

Anyone used/experience of pedalsure?

Last edited:

jamma

Über Member
I have bike insurance through bikmo as everyone local to me has it and says they are good covers you for everything and they have the option to upload photos of the bike and recipets so if you do claim its makes it slightly faster. Also if you are in chester where the head office is located you can pop in and have a coffee and cake ^_^

You do have to lock your bike up to a immovable object and a sold secure lock but thats it

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@totem I'm a BC member but only ride membership. My bikes are insured through my home contents insurance through the AA. Bikes up to £1500 are covered under blanket policy, over £1500 needs to be a

On the other member rule, it just means that if there were a legal claim, you would need to use a different solicitor as Leigh Day wouldn't be able to represent you both under their Ts & Cs

Call BC if you want more info about their policies. You can get 10% off their bike insurance as a London member (not standard membership afaik)

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Like @vickster I'm a BC member (Silver so I can race) and all of the bikes we have are covered under the home insurance with a £1500 limit.

Either British Cycling or Cycling UK (CTC) offer 3rd party insurance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Like @vickster I'm a BC member (Silver so I can race) and all of the bikes we have are covered under the home insurance with a £1500 limit.

Either British Cycling or Cycling UK (CTC) offer 3rd party insurance.
So do London cycling campaign as a further option, for under a tenner

Wiggle are in on the act too

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster can I ask why you (and hopefully @DCLane could answer as well) chose BC?
Dunno, just did about 3 years ago. Wanted the legal and third party cover. Tbh it was probably the cheapest of the three options at the point with retailer discounts included (halfords and wiggle then) and a good rep for those services

Just have a rolling direct debit. And I'm still going through a claim with their solicitors

suzeworld

Veteran
Had a look at British cycling as one of our club members thought Gold membership provided accidental damage cover. It does not. It provides personal injury cover to some extent. I also noted that British cycling don't seem to get involved if the 3rd party is also a member of BC. This most certainly does not cover racing or club riding then as most, if not all, will be members. So the 3rd party insurance seems to be only useful with motorists and anyone else not connected to BC, or if you yourself are at fault in an accident. Admittedly worth having, especially for the cost.

I will likely just get in touch an ask them to give me a quote but i think it is going to be very expensive.

Thanks for the recommendation Vickster.

Did you find out the cost?

suzeworld

Veteran
On insurance in general, we get quite good cover with our Direct Line home insurance, which I reckon outstrips any free-standing companies cos even though they cover more expensive bikes, their rules are so TIGHT that you will never get a bike nicked if you follow their lock-guidance and if you don't follow the guidance you wont get paid out, so not worth the candle, IMHO ... We have 8 bikes between us and two of them are hand-make Rourkies, so very expensive to replace ...
but eye-watering to insure. Best thing is proper security around the home and on the car.

After my wife's recent trauma with a litigious car-driver she is really pleased that she has the British Cycling 3rd party cover, and although that is still being sorted out, we would have been at the personal mercy of "injury lawyers r us" who are currently ramping up huge (fallacious) costs which we would not have found easy to fight.

Missis is not here atm to ask about the cost of the BC cover, she got it cos her cycle club require it, or at least adivse it .. but I dunno how much she paid for it .. whatever, it is proving very valuable already .. this thread is prompting me to get my own sorted out.

Top Bottom