bike lock light weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just bought a Abus Combiflex 2503 retractable to stop [hopefully] an opportunist theft. Its very light and small ie fits in the palm of your hand. The cable extends to 120cm which is long enough to go through both wheels, of course if anyone has a pair of snips and its goodbye bike. Its about 22 squids :okay: ABUS Combiflex 2503/120 cable lock, 72501 4003318725012 | eBay
vastly overpriced - those things are just the same as the things that used to be sold for securing laptops/laptop bags etc.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLJOIMRELO/jobsworth-ristretto-retractable-cafe-lock--1m-cable

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I spoke to a roadie who upended his bike at cafe stops.

The theory was a prospective thief would think his bike was broken or had a puncture.

geocycle

Legendary Member
At work I have a monster Abus granit that lives in the bike shed, for town and shopping a kryptonite mini and an abus cable lock for cafe stops or bakery raids on days rides. The d locks are gold rated for insurance purposes. The cable lock wouldn’t survive bolt croppers but would deter an opportunist. Choice of lock depends on function and location.

If I am at a cafe stop without a lock I am usually in sight of the bike and just use my helmet strap to fasten the frame to a rail. It would take a few seconds of fiddling by which time I could be out of the cafe.

I was bought two of those Z locks a couple of years ago and only used them once, Quite fiddly but would provide an obstacle to an opportunist thief.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Hey everyone,
I'm sure this has been done to death, but I'm after a decent, lightweight bike lock, for cafe stops. These look perfect for the job (https://hiplok.com/product/z-lok-combo-twin-pack/) but have terrible reviews. Any suggestions for something similar, that might actually work?
I've got a couple of those. Think I paid £15 for them last year on Amazon. £34 is too much. (Edit to add - mine are the key ones, not combination, hence cheaper).

They're fine for a convenient cafe lock. People take the piss out of me for locking my bike, but I figure even a crappy little lock will mean someone else's bike is pinched in preference to mine. If that ever happens, I suppose the laughing will stop. Also, not having the most valuable bike in the group is a good one. :laugh:

I've got a couple of those. Think I paid £15 for them last year on Amazon. £34 is too much. (Edit to add - mine are the key ones, not combination, hence cheaper).

They're fine for a convenient cafe lock. People take the piss out of me for locking my bike, but I figure even a crappy little lock will mean someone else's bike is pinched in preference to mine. If that ever happens, I suppose the laughing will stop. Also, not having the most valuable bike in the group is a good one. :laugh:
yep lock.
I used to get somewhat laughed at on rides, some of which I had lead, for locking - my attitude was, hell if I've carried it (the lock) i would be daft not to use it.
I also used to know some audax folks who thought it "just not done" to lock bikes at stops. Very uncool.
One got his bike nicked at a stop.

Jameshow

Veteran

vickster

Legendary Member
I have one, I reckon very much a secondary (or less) lock or one where you actually have the bike right next to you. I think it could be cut with very basic scissors, if not pulled apart!

si_c

Guru
I've got a couple of cable locks from Halfords cost less than a tenner and fit in either a pocket or bar bag if carrying one.

Not secure but enough to stop someone grabbing it and running off. Not that most people would be able to ride my bike, one advantage of a 63cm frame.

For shopping or whatnot I usually have my backpack with me which had a kryptonite evolution mini u lock in it at all times. I use that when out of sight of the bike for more than a minute or two.

Top Bottom