bike lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael86

This might be a stupid question, but are combination locks less secure generally then a padlock lock.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
This might be a stupid question, but are combination locks less secure generally then a padlock lock.
Are you concerned with the physical security of the lock, or with the security of the combination code?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends.

Don't use any sort of cable lock to secure your bike. Very easy to cut. Combination locks aren't great, and padlocks can be hit and miss unless you splash the cash.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I suspect that unless you spend a lot on a cmbination mechanism that it will be inferior to a more simple lock of the same price. If I've ever had to get into a combination lock I've just used a two pound lump hammer and three or four hefty blows usually does the trick.

BRounsley

Über Member
Both of my bikes where recently stolen and have since done a lot of reading/watching on locks. What I’ve learnt is:-
Cable locks are pointless. Thieves cut them in seconds with a £2 pair of wire cutters. So that leaved D and chains.
In general any cheap lock is useless they just attack the locking part. Usually a couple of whacks with a hammer are enough. Or stick a screwdriver down the barrel and give it a tap (80s car thief style).
So now you’re spending some serious money and combating professional thieves. You have to start asking how much your bike is worth to you and how much you want to spend on a lock.
If you using a padlock (chain style lock) then make sure the padlock is ‘closed shackle’ as most padlocks can be cropped in seconds. Most chains can be cropped in seconds also.
D locks are typically the best on cost against protection. They vary massively in quality but you can vastly improve the protection from a D lock on how you use it. Cheap D locks are normally just hacksawed through. More expensive ones are normally defeated with mini bottle jacks (if it can lift a 2 ton car it can pop a 20mm tube of steel). So make the D difficult to access and hopeful they go somewhere else (most thief are very lazy).
I went the motorcycle security route as people like to keep their £9k motorbikes. So after a lot of research I ended up with an Almax chain lock. There wall of shame is worth a look.
So I think to answer your question I don’t it make much different. It’s either a cheap pointless lock or an expensive lock.
I’ve often heard you should spend 10% of the price of the bike on a lock. In my opinion it don’t matter you either spend £150 on a lock or £20. The £20 will stop an opportunist a £150 lock may stop(disinterest) a professional, anything in the middle will just slow them down (normally by 10 seconds).
Hope this helps and I don’t sound too much of a prophet of doom!

Crankarm

Guru
Well my locks, x2 Abus Granit X Plus 54 D locks and a motorcycle hardened chain with shrouded padlock were stolen and they weren't even locking up my bike at the time! Yes, figure out that one. £350 of locks nicked in one swoop! I now have none and frankly won't be replacing them as I shan't be leaving my them outside ever again where I let them out of my sight.

I saw a scary you tube video a while back of a bloke who with a few quick pulls easily was able to pull a comibation lock apart with his bare hands; some cheap cable locks (padlock) aren't any better however :ohmy:

Chris S

Legendary Member
There are various YouTube videos on how to open bike locks.

In order to open a combination lock you just need to pull it tight and spin the barrels. Apparently they will stop in the correct position.

You can spring 'self-locking' padlocks open by just poking them in the right place with a pick.

Padlocks that are locked with a key take slightly longer to open, you have to line up all the levers inside using a pick.

However, as another poster has already pointed out, most thieves will just cut through the chain or cable with a pair of bolt or cable cutters.

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy the best lock you can and insure the bikes aainst theft wherever they are likely to be - at home / out and about. Read the T&Cs very carefully

I stupidly locked a bike up with a cable on a very busy London street on a sunny Sunday afternoon - cable cut, gone within 15 minutes, I now use at least one D lock (Abus X, costs around £70), two in London (also a £30 Kryptonite for the rear)

Bikes are also insured (as was that one thankfully)

Top Bottom