Bike locks and concrete sectional garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
I'm looking at a potential new house that comes with a concrete sectional garage.

I would like to keep my bikes in the garage and would use these as security and storage. https://www.hiplok.com/airlok/

Has anyone drilled into sectional pieces ro install something similar? My guess is it will not be possible because it will weaken the sections or fracture them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would use a ground anchor, or a chain around the presumably metal roof supports. The airlock is a hell of a lot of money too.

The concrete section will have steel bars running through them I dont think they are more than 50mm in thickness (concrete sections)
a 40mm screw to secure the hiplok will be under size.

Try a ground anchor.

pjd57

Veteran
Cheap way is to box off a corner with any scrap timber. Couple of feet Square is plenty. Any U shape or square scrap metal section ,sit it in the centre and concrete it in .
Totally secure anchor for very little cost.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hiplock don't specify what fixing method is used but likely to be a type of expanding bolt. Those concrete sectional garages are pretty old now so might not hold that fixing very well anyway.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use those have them all round in my garage, it may not stop them, but it will slow them down and that's what they don't like

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have the same predicament as I am moving to a flat with an en block garage.
However rather then drilling into concrete or what ever it's made with I am purchasing an Asgard metal bike shed of which I will bolt to the ground.
Expensive for sure, but worth it methinks.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have the same predicament as I am moving to a flat with an en block garage.
However rather then drilling into concrete or what ever it's made with I am purchasing an Asgard metal bike shed of which I will bolt to the ground.
Expensive for sure, but worth it methinks.

Won't you have to drill into concrete to do that?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What is wrong with a ground anchor in the ground rather than a wall?

I didn't say there was anything wrong.

The walls of the garage are thin concrete and I don't think the neighbours would appreciate me drilling through.
So for me it's a shed anchored to the ground.

Top Bottom