Bike price hikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Do you always do as you are told? In this instance I was all in favour of blaming the moonlight
Of course not ! Sometimes i blame it on the good times but it's normally the boogie .

mustang1

Guru
In 2006, a spesh langster costs £350. Last year it was £575 though this year I think it's gone down to £550.

A bottom range Allez with Sora crank, tiagra re, and mix of other components costs £500 for the double chainring, or £530 for the triple chainring model. Today the equivalent spec Allez is £725 (tiagra). The circa-£500 model has 2300.

As an aside, in 1987 a new Porsche 911 Carrera cost £37000. Today it costs almost £80k. And a used Ferrari F430 jumped up in value by £15000 when prices of the newer 458 were released and people realized the new model is £180k as opposed to to previous model's £130k. A VW Golf GTI was £12000, today it's around £25k.

The other day I was at a showroom sitting in a Toyota Yaris and the saleslady walked past asking if I wanted some help. I asked how much the car is. I was thinking it's like £12k since it's a nice model. She told me £18k. For a Toyota Yaris!!!

Don't even talk to me about yachts.

Drago

Legendary Member
But a bike the shop had already bought and put into stock...?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Of course all this price rising could have the effect of people deciding not to buy that new bike, just upgrade the parts etc as they wear out. Or might just wait that bit longer or making do with what you/they have etc. As prices rise there is always the chance that UK made stuff becomes a viable alternative to what would of been imported before ? Still of the opinion though that some of the stuff we buy is hugely marked up considering the majority of stuff is from the far east.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Mark up does not mean the retailer makes a big profit.

correct, we all know Specialized , Trek all have their RRP and woe behold anyone who cuts the prices without asking them first ! A former employee of Edinburgh bikes told me once that the markup was crazy on bikes they supplied from some of the big American companies, 40-50% !! None of that is pure profit for any retailer.

Top Bottom