Bike Rescue Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonC

Last year I took out ETA's Bike rescue insurance. Anything that goes wrong except a punture and a nice "man" picks you up and deposits you at bike repaire shop, station, home etc. Not bad for £38. This years renewal turns up £20 for insurance and £25 to join ETA. Go onto their web site Bike insurance £20 members and £32 non members so I phoned up and....you can't take the insurance out as a non member if you have already taken the insurance out. So misleading web site.

Know of any other Bike rescue providers?

davidwalton

The only other one I ever found that does recovery. http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/ at £15 per cycle/year.

davidwalton

stevenb said:
Blimey...I just checked Cycleguard insurance and they want £300 a year to cover my new bike....;)

Yes, their cycle insurance is high. Their recovery insurance is reasonable though. Assuming you are a CTC member or similar, go to http://www.butterworthinsurance.co.uk/benefits.shtml

They were the cheapest I could find, out of those doing separate cycle insurance.............

or try http://www.eandl.co.uk/cycle-insurance/, but expect some unreasonable measures you must show you are taking.

davidwalton

stevenb said:
I know my house contents insurance will cover my bike indoors at least.
;)

You should check on that as many content insurance policies will only cover a bike up to a certain value, something like £1000. After that, it is an addition to the policy; assuming they will take it on.

Also, it won't make bike insurance cheaper even if covered at home, and only requiring insurance away. None of the insurers have that sort of policy that I could find, and I hunted.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
See if you can get an extension to your house policy - CIS let you insure 'expensive' items in addition to your normal policy. For contents and my extension for the best bike and an engagement ring is about £18 per month.

stevenb

fossyant said:
See if you can get an extension to your house policy - CIS let you insure 'expensive' items in addition to your normal policy. For contents and my extension for the best bike and an engagement ring is about £18 per month.

Will try that.
I will have a chat with my Dad who set up the policy.....;)

Dave5N

Über Member
£38 gets you a lot of taxi

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Does it cover multiple bicycles?
No – the cover is for a specified bicycle. If you have more than one bike, you'll need separate cover for each one…(but you can buy roadside recovery for up to 3 bicycles in one application at a total cost of £45)

fair enough i'd have thought.
i may be riding all 7 at once ;)

yello

Dave5N said:
£38 gets you a lot of taxi

Sort of my thoughts too. I looked at ETA's offer a few years back and decided against. You can stick a bike over your shoulder and walk.

I have reservations about these, and have always considered the money better spent on a mechanics course or a good book.

In most cases you will be able to fix (or bodge) on the move. This removes the need for recovery.

Top Bottom