Bike Rescue Insurance

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by JonC, 4 Mar 2008.

  1. JonC

    JonC New Member

    Milburn, Cumbria
    Last year I took out ETA's Bike rescue insurance. Anything that goes wrong except a punture and a nice "man" picks you up and deposits you at bike repaire shop, station, home etc. Not bad for £38. This years renewal turns up £20 for insurance and £25 to join ETA. Go onto their web site Bike insurance £20 members and £32 non members so I phoned up can't take the insurance out as a non member if you have already taken the insurance out. So misleading web site.

    Know of any other Bike rescue providers?
  2. davidwalton

    davidwalton New Member

    The only other one I ever found that does recovery. at £15 per cycle/year.
  3. stevenb

    stevenb New Member

    South Beds.
    Blimey...I just checked Cycleguard insurance and they want £300 a year to cover my new bike....;)
  4. davidwalton

    davidwalton New Member

    Yes, their cycle insurance is high. Their recovery insurance is reasonable though. Assuming you are a CTC member or similar, go to

    They were the cheapest I could find, out of those doing separate cycle insurance.............

    or try, but expect some unreasonable measures you must show you are taking.
  5. stevenb

    stevenb New Member

    South Beds.
    Thats better.
    Still at least £189 a year.
    I'll hang on a bit.
    I know my house contents insurance will cover my bike indoors at least.
  6. davidwalton

    davidwalton New Member

    You should check on that as many content insurance policies will only cover a bike up to a certain value, something like £1000. After that, it is an addition to the policy; assuming they will take it on.

    Also, it won't make bike insurance cheaper even if covered at home, and only requiring insurance away. None of the insurers have that sort of policy that I could find, and I hunted.
  7. fossyant

    fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

    South Manchester
    See if you can get an extension to your house policy - CIS let you insure 'expensive' items in addition to your normal policy. For contents and my extension for the best bike and an engagement ring is about £18 per month.
  8. stevenb

    stevenb New Member

    South Beds.
    Will try that.
    I will have a chat with my Dad who set up the policy.....;)
  9. Dave5N

    Dave5N Über Member

    £38 gets you a lot of taxi
  10. hubgearfreak

    hubgearfreak Über Member

    Does it cover multiple bicycles?
    No – the cover is for a specified bicycle. If you have more than one bike, you'll need separate cover for each one…(but you can buy roadside recovery for up to 3 bicycles in one application at a total cost of £45)

    fair enough i'd have thought.
    i may be riding all 7 at once ;)
  11. Keith Oates

    Keith Oates Janner

    Penarth, Wales
    I think I'll take a chance and save the premium and risk having to make a phone call and perhaps an extended wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. yello

    yello Legendary Member

    Sort of my thoughts too. I looked at ETA's offer a few years back and decided against. You can stick a bike over your shoulder and walk.
  13. ufkacbln

    ufkacbln Guest

    I have reservations about these, and have always considered the money better spent on a mechanics course or a good book.

    In most cases you will be able to fix (or bodge) on the move. This removes the need for recovery.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice