Bike selection for big lady

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guttertrash

Über Member
Hi folks.

My mum has taken inspiration from me after I dropped 5 stone by taking up cycling, and now she wants to get a bike herself.

Trouble is, she is a large lady, around 300 lbs, and I have no idea what to suggest for her. I don't want her to spend too much, as it will be her first bike since she was a kid, so no idea if she will actually take to it.

I think she'll mainly be riding on the road, with a bit of off road cycle paths thrown in, but nothing she would need an MTB for, so thinking along the lines of a hybrid.

Any suggestions appreciated.

zexel

Veteran
She should be fine with most hybrids, (always check though) eg, Trek hybrid weight limit is 300lb (700c wheels, 28c tyres).

What's your budget?

Nufab

Über Member
My mum has also decided to take up cycling, and wanted my opinion... We went to Halfords as she wanted it on cycle to work, and she ended up with a Carrera Subway. It seems a nice bike for the price... It was somewhere in the region of £260 IIRC.

zexel

Veteran
My mum has also decided to take up cycling, and wanted my opinion... We went to Halfords as she wanted it on cycle to work, and she ended up with a Carrera Subway. It seems a nice bike for the price... It was somewhere in the region of £260 IIRC.

Good shout :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

guttertrash

Über Member
That was the kind of thing I was looking at, as we didn't want her to spend anymore that £300 on one.

My brother has a 2007 Specialized Hardrock mountain bike that he doesn't use anymore which we tried for size last night. Its just the right size for her, and although its not female specific, its a good fit for the time being. I'm going to buy a female saddle, and some semi slick tyres to stick on it, and if she keeps it up, we are all going to club together to get her something just for her.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I have a Specialized Hardrock and it's not a female specific because they don't need to be. It's a great bike and if it suits her then she probably doesn't need anything else. She probably wants fully rigid, though.

Sam

Top Bottom