Bike shop told me to use thread lock on pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Happiness Stan

What is 'nipping up'?

GilesM

Legendary Member
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Add the bike shop to the list of places NOT to go for servicing/advice.

Grease is applied to negate the effects of cro-moly steel sticking in aluminium and does a fine job of it. It doesn't "loosen" anything

Exactly, very odd advice.

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Threadlock has little or no place in the cycle workshop

It has it's place for certain things, usually bolts that should be tightened with a low ish torque, helps prevent them coming lose with vibration, and I would always use it on the bolts that hold the discs for disc brakes onto the wheels, and also the bolts in the rear suspension of a full suss mtb.

snailracer

Über Member
The usual problem with pedals is that they corrode themselves onto the cranks. Coming loose in use does not typically happen.

Both threadlock and grease will prevent corrosion by excluding moisture. But for threadlock to exclude moisture, you would need enough to cover the whole thread. A pedal spindle has a very large area of thread, so if you used enough threadlock to cover it all, you would struggle to loosen it for service/replacement in future.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I think the chap that gave me the advice had more spots than sense, the shop didn't stock threadlock, he told me to go to B&Q. Youthful exuberance me thinks. I could have applied it then sued them for new cranks and pedals.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I don't see the need for thread-lock on pedals! You only need it where there's going to be loads of vibration, which is why it's all over my motorbike! (well, not literally "all over"). I wouldn't put it on anything on my pushbike, unless it was a bolt that continually came loose.

Radius

SHREDDER
Sheffield_Tiger said:

I'd beg to differ. Permanent thread sealant has no place. Medium strength threadlock, such as Loctite 242, is a very useful thing to have around.

gwhite

Über Member
Radius said:
I'd beg to differ. Permanent thread sealant has no place. Medium strength threadlock, such as Loctite 242, is a very useful thing to have around.

+1
Threadlock is particularly useful on those parts subject to vibration i.e. all mudguard screws, rack fixings etc. It can also be useful with cup and cone BBs also but there's no need to cover all the thread, a drop will do.

GrasB

Veteran
Coppaslip on the pedal threads, though an application of non-perminent thread lock may make it easier to remove pedals than not using threadlock or some kind of anti-seize compound.

Sheffield_Tiger said:
If you're talking about the high strength stuff I'll agree but as for the medium & low strength this is a list of things where I've seen thread lock pre-applied
- disc mounting bolts
- disc caliper fixings
- stem bolts (both h'bar & steerer tube)
- seat clamp bolts

a list of additional things I've used threadlock on
- mudguard fixings
- bottle holder fixings
- seat post clamp

dodgy

The only place I would put threadlock is on bottle cage bolts, which have a curious tendency to loosen.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I put threadlock on my cleat bolts as I recently lost one and when trying to unclip found one foot rotated but stayed clipped in:wacko:. Is this wrong? Not had problem since;).

Top Bottom