Bike stolen? Don't copy this owner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I think he got off lightly. Weaponising a motor car to attack and ram someone on a bicycle (thief or not) is tantamount to attempted murder. And only an 8-year disqualification?! The man should never be allowed control of a motor vehicle again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Very lucky some innocent schmoe on a similar bike didn't get killed. I'm all for harm befalling scumbags, but as a result of their own stupidity, not through people turning all great white hunter on them.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5160235, member: 43827"]What mixed feelings?

The thief deserved punishment for stealing a bicycle e.g at most a fine.

The thug who knocked him over deserved a long prison sentence.[/QUOTE]
Mixed feeling one is as you describe, thug mows down poor wee soul who just wanted to go see his mam.

Mixed feeling 2, how would I react if I saw poor wee soul happily cycling along on my pride and joy? Obviously I wouldn't be advocating driving into him but ask anyone who's lost a bike to a thief how they felt or what they would do should the opportunity arise.

Just mixed feelings.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I do not like the idea of vigilante action, no matter what the crime.

Ramming the thief with a motor vehicle was OTT, even if the driver was certain it was the actual thief.

But, why was the bicycle thief not prosecuted?

glasgowcyclist

but ask anyone who's lost a bike to a thief how they felt or what they would do should the opportunity arise.

I've been the victim of bike theft, twice, when my bike was my sole means of transport. I was angry, of course, but would it never enter my mind to do what this thug did.

There's no justification for ramming the bike thief.

Slick

Guru
I've been the victim of bike theft, twice, when my bike was my sole means of transport. I was angry, of course, but would it never enter my mind to do what this thug did.

There's no justification for ramming the bike thief.
I thought I'd made that clear.

glasgowcyclist

I thought I'd made that clear.

It was clear you wouldn't advocate it, I was addressing the subsequent "but".

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't ram my own bike, for the simple reason I wouldn't want to damage it. I couldn't give a toss about the welfare of the thief. I'd have got past them, had them off the bike, then beaten the crap out of them.

huwsparky

Über Member
I wouldn't ram my own bike, for the simple reason I wouldn't want to damage it. I couldn't give a toss about the welfare of the thief. I'd have got past them, had them off the bike, then beaten the crap out of them.
But what if you were at the point where you had the choice to make? Split second decision to take him out or he rode away the bike never to be seen again!

huwsparky

Über Member
Temper, temper, having your bike stolen is not worth going to prison for.
The way forward is trying to secure your bike as best you can and getting decent insurance, not trying to kill someone.
Just get another its not worth getting upset about.
If I caught someone stealing something of mine, I have no idea how i'd react, that's the truth.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Shouting & chasing: Yes. But ramming someone on a bike? No way.

I'm glad to see that deliberately dangerous driving does result in reasonable punishment, at least in this case.

Top Bottom