Bike storage at work... who's liable for damage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Have you had a quiet word with the safety rep? Can't see them being happy with bike cluttering up the work place.
Making it known the cost of damage to your bike maybe coming his way may move him.
If not sowing the idea of a claim for injury if someone got injured by them being left on the shop floor at his instruction may well focus the mind.
I'm guessing the safety rep is the store manager, who's answerable to the area manager.

The AM didn't like bikes cluttering up the boiler room.
Now he doesn't like them cluttering up the staff canteen so they'll be cluttering up the warehouse instead. :wacko:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

It's at your risk. I can imagine a corner of the warehouse being safer than in the canteen from the H&S Elf's point of view.
if you'd seen our warehouse, you'd see that there's no quiet corner. It's the worst place in the premises to put them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
if you'd seen our warehouse, you'd see that there's no quiet corner. It's the worst place in the premises to put them.

Any chance of getting bike racks ? Many employers are crap. When I was at a construction company, I had to lock the bike in a store, but not the best place as it was within the workshop, and out of bounds to us office types...

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Any chance of getting bike racks ? Many employers are crap. When I was at a construction company, I had to lock the bike in a store, but not the best place as it was within the workshop, and out of bounds to us office types...
I spoke to the store manager about it today who mentioned getting some wheel benders fitted. But what's really needed is a heavy duty metal barrier to keep the electric pallet trucks well away from them. The delivery drivers don't give a f**k what they smash into.

DSK

I would also say that its generally at the owner risk.

Its typical of all types of parking these days, airports, car parks, work, for all forms of transport. You use their parking facility at your own risk and this effectively (at a high level anyway) eliminates the parking space people being responsible for damage/claims against them.

We have had all sorts from people squirting ketchup, dropping biscuits on bikes and you shudder to think that you are working with well educated, professional people......

D

Deleted member 26715

If the boiler room also has the gas shut-off & the electricity distribution board clear access is needed in the event of the Fire Brigade needing access

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Where do shop customers park their bikes? Is this a supermarket?
on the racks outside. There's space for 6 bikes.

when we were told we couldn't use the boiler room anymore, we were told to use the racks outside instead... but after pointing out that would only leave a couple of spaces for the customers to use, the canteen was the compromise.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

If the boiler room also has the gas shut-off & the electricity distribution board clear access is needed in the event of the Fire Brigade needing access
the corner of the boiler room we used to keep them didn't block anything.
But then again, the odd member of staff would just open the door and chuck their bike in rather than parking it properly.

classic33

Leg End Member
I kept mine in the building having asked if they'd be prepared to replace it, if it was nicked from outside.

Small walled yard out the back, but shared access and a lock that was easy to open. Also the fire escape route out for one of those on shared access.

DRM

Guru
I would ask to see the risk assessment regarding the boiler house, if as I suspect you work in some kind of store, the warehouse is the worst place as they don’t usually have room to swing a cat in there, plus there is the combination of trained chimp/fork truck risk of damage, the manager sounds like an arse who probably think your bike was £100 new and would think the actual cost of a decent bike was unbelievable

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I would ask to see the risk assessment regarding the boiler house, if as I suspect you work in some kind of store, the warehouse is the worst place as they don’t usually have room to swing a cat in there, plus there is the combination of trained chimp/fork truck risk of damage, the manager sounds like an arse who probably think your bike was £100 new and would think the actual cost of a decent bike was unbelievable
I would but I'm 100% certain there isn't one.

I'll have to try my best not to be an arse regarding this. For a company that promotes the C2W scheme as a perk, it's a bit odd that the area manager is actively discouraging cycling to work by taking away the sensible places to park our bikes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Does the company have a car park?

If so, ask why they're happy to spend mo ey on car parking (business rates will reflect that), yet arent prepared to spend it on proper cycle parking. Very pertinent too, seeing as ar driving has passed its zenith and the numbers will now only ever dwindle.

Top Bottom