Bike storage in garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hi all

I've been mulling this idea over, to fit the family bikes into the garage without taking up too much space.

At the moment I have 3 bikes, and my wife has 1, with another on the way.
I have 2 of them on a horizontal rack on the wall, with the other 2 leaning against each other underneath them.

This isn't going to be possible when the 5th bike arrives, so I've been thinking about how best to store them.

For horizontal space, hanging the bikes vertically makes most sense. But bikes are taller than they are wide, so that will encroach into the main space in the garage.

So what I want to do is have vertical racks that swivel. That way I can hang the bikes vertically, but pivot them so they overlap each other to some extent, so do not stick out from the wall as much. I'd still need to stagger the heights a bit so that the handlebars didn't interfere with each other, but in my mind it feels like a really efficient way of doing it. The downside is that if you want one of the "underneath" ones, you need to swing the others out before you can get to it.

Does that make sense?

I don't think such a system currently exists, so I'm thinking about how to build it. Any ideas? I wonder if strong canvas straps with hooks on would work, so they could twist slightly.

PpPete

Legendary Member
When you talk of hanging vertically - I take it this is with some sort of hook in wheels ? I use the basic plastic covered hooks screwed into the wooden beams for 12 of the 16 bikes that reside in our garage. As the hooks are about 1.5" wide and most of the rims are narrowish it is possible to twist the bikes around the axis of the hook by quite a bit.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
When you talk of hanging vertically - I take it this is with some sort of hook in wheels ? I use the basic plastic covered hooks screwed into the wooden beams for 12 of the 16 bikes that reside in our garage. As the hooks are about 1.5" wide and most of the rims are narrowish it is possible to twist the bikes around the axis of the hook by quite a bit.

16 bikes! Good work.

This could work well, and probably easier than canvas straps. I could angle the hooks at 45°
I don't have overhead beams though, so I'd need to construct some way of mounting them to the wall.

Top Bottom