Bike storage in loft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that ‘pain cave’ was a typo and you meant to type ‘man cave’ instead. What followed was a weak attempt at humour* and was not intended to cause offence or be judgemental of less mainstream lifestyles.

* Crap jokes never survive close inspection or detailed explanation, do they?
People commonly refer to the space where they have their turbo trainer setup as a “pain cave” :okay:

Slick

Guru
I'm not particularly hardy but it's not the cold in my loft that bothers me. It gets hotter than Dutch love up there in the summer. So much so that on a sunny day I feel quite faint after more than a few minutes. It's pushing 40C.
Get out of there long before feeling like that. People have died in loft spaces in summer due to the fact that death can occur when the body temperature rises by the smallest increment. Insulated lofts are no place for anyone. :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good training for your holidays in Saudi though.

My loft is cold and a bit damp because no matter how well ventilated the loft and house, moisture goes up round the ceiling lights and settles up there. Not enough to make condensation but enough to make stuff feel a bit damp.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that ‘pain cave’ was a typo and you meant to type ‘man cave’ instead. What followed was a weak attempt at humour* and was not intended to cause offence or be judgemental of less mainstream lifestyles.

* Crap jokes never survive close inspection or detailed explanation, do they?
hahaha.... I nearly suggested it would be easier if he slept in the loft and kept the bikes downstairs. Then I thoght better of it:rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've turned my loft into a workshop with a fully strengthened insulated floor, suitable for a loading greater than a habitable room. There are quite a few expensive metal tools that I thought might rust but it's not an issue. Before I converted it, there used to be a cold water storage tank with an open top. In the summer, it used to get quite humid and things would rust. I moved the tanks and replaced them with ones that had tightly-fitting lids. The rust problem never came back.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Many years ago (I was still at school!!!) we lived in a dormer bungalow where you accessed the roof space through the rear of the built in wardrobes.
Was there a lion and a witch in there?

I'm not particularly hardy but it's not the cold in my loft that bothers me. It gets hotter than Dutch love up there in the summer. So much so that on a sunny day I feel quite faint after more than a few minutes. It's pushing 40C.
Yes i would rather wonder/worry about what it might do to tyres.
If long term storage, not for frequent use, you could of course take them off.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Assuming that it's structurally sound and accessible and all that stuff, if you want to use a turbo up there consider that it will also need good ventilation, should not overheat in summer, and bear in mind that even a quiet turbo could transmit quite a bit of noise through the floor.

Top Bottom