Bike to Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thinking, quite seriously now, about running the Birmingham Half Marathon in October.

So, I can ride 50 miles at a reasonable pace (top 20% of the last Sportive that I did), and have been up to 75 miles. I love the challenge of a good hill, and every day I do a 6 mile commute as fast as I can get away with - recently averaged 20.3, but that was a special route - straight and flat main road for the first half. So I'm happy that I'm reasonably fit.

But I don't run. I last ran for a reasonable distance in 1990, and that was 5k. 13 miles and a bit is much longer. Tonight I have just done 2 miles, and feel pretty similar as far as leg muscles go, to a 40 mile ride.

Any tips for converting my cycling fitness to running? I guess I just need to get some miles in those running legs.

Broadside

Guru
I'm not a runner but I am fit through cycling. I recently went away on hols for 2 weeks (no bike) so went for a 2 mile run
to get some exercise. Like you my legs didn't feel too bad and I reckon I could have run twice the distant quite easily. However I know I am not conditioned for running and didn't want to injure my cycling legs.

The day after my legs ached quite a bit and by the second day DOMS had really kicked in and they hurt a lot, it took about 4 days for them to return to normal. So my point is, you may be fit but allow your tendons and muscles time to adjust to running as it will not happen overnight. Push it too quick and you will probably end up injured.

Let us know how you get on, I am tempted to take up running as an addition to cycling so would be interested to hear.

heliphil

Guru
it seems that you will have the fitness / stamina already, but you will need to get your legs used to the pounding of the streets - build up gradually - 3 runs a week will be fine - no need to go beyond ~ 9 or 10 miles a two weeks or so before the race and starting out from the 2 miles you have already done

ps - get a decent pair of running shoes

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

And don't run in cycling shorts. Even if they are the only ones with pockets in.

So, next time will be cycling top, and football shorts. Then down to the shop to buy some running kit!

carolonabike

I did the GNR last September before taking up cycling again at the beginning of this year and I still run a couple of times a week.

I found that cycling hugely improved my aerobic fitness, so I think the danger may be that because you have a good fitness base, you can run further and faster than you would as a running beginner, risking injury; as dmoran says your legs are not yet used to the impact of running. The two activities are very different beasts.

I would suggest taking it easy for a few weeks until your legs catch up with your lungs, run two or three times a week but keep it slow and steady. Start with 2 or 3 mile runs and build up gradually, you have plenty of time. There is no need to be running hm distance until September. I found it gave me confidence knowing I had ran 13 miles but many people run a hm without ever having ran that distance.
I only did it a cuple of times the month before the race and it was hard work :ohmy: .

I also found there was quite a step up from 10 to 12 miles.

ooh, and yes, definitely don't try running in cycling shorts. Chafing... ouch.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Get down to a running shop and outfit yourself with a decent pair of running shoes, this is an absolute neccessity imo. I'd also invest in some running socks (they really do help prevent blisters) and some decent running shorts. You will be fine with cycling jerseys, but I personally prefer to run in something a bit looser. For distances over 10km, I personally feel owning the kit is worth the outlay, since a small niggle will soon elevate into a big niggle in long distance events.

The big step for you wont be the actual cardiovascular fitness, you probly have this part of the run in the bag, it will be less developed muscles and ligaments that are your source of concern. Be very wary of going too far even if you feel fine, cycling and running uses different muscles and running puts your ligaments etc under more stress, these improve much slower than your cardiovascular system, so ultimatelly this is the limiting factor. Run short and steady, focus on keeping good form and increase milage gradually, often it is said to increase no more than 10% a week, this is pretty sensible if not a bit arbitrary.

If all you are interested in is completion, then you will be good to go in as little as 2-3 months with consistant moderate runs of increasing length with one long slow run per week, you wont even need to go up to HM distance in training for a respectable completion. I am planning to be marathon completion fit within 4 months from now with a decent middle distance running base and then to do some speed training to get fully fit by next April.

If you are planning to aim for a certain time, then training will need a bit more structure, if you provide a bit more detail (preferably including a 5km or 10km time trial effort time - your local parkrun would be a good place to get a 5km time) myself and a few others here with running experience may be able to provide you with some more ellaborate advice including some pacing guidance, you will also want to be running further than the HM distance on longer runs too.

BTW, If you sign up to parkrun you should recieve a £15 off voucher for sweatshop (I am assuming this still applies since they are still sponsors) which will help you out in buying some nice running shoes. You could also use parkrun as a bit of incentive to get out and run 5km each week.

brockers

It would be interesting to hear whether your running has an effect on your bike fitness.

In my case, I go out for a 1/2 hour run twice a week. That's all I can manage before either my calfs, hips, or cv gubbins pack up. I get back on my bike though and I'm flying. I have a feeling that it's because I'm working at more or less bike threshold (HR between 170 and 180 however gently I run!) levels, which is the best bang-for-your-buck training you can do.

jay clock

Massive member
I am doing my first Ironman on Sunday, so have a bit of experience in this field. I have been doing triathlons for about 5 years, and the running I assumed I could handle easily based on my cycling fitness. WRONG! I learnt I had to take it easy. I did couch to 5k http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and that was excellent. You might be able to accelerate it a bit, but to be honest I have seen loads of people get injuries by winging it....

Agreed, too, get decent shoes and kit, and learn what level of clothing you need in various weathers.

VamP

Banned
HM is about the limit of distance that most fit people can run without any training. Whether you'd want to do that is questionable.

As Rob3rt says, what is your goal?

If it's just completion then just get your legs used to running. Once or twice a week, no need to go for mileage, just aim for cca 30 minutes - 1 hour running time each time. Whatever speed feels comfortable. Get plenty of rest. Work on economy of technique, focus on running with low impact, get good shoes!

Get a couple of longer runs (cca 2 hrs) in before your race, but not in the last week before. Usual warming up, warming down, stretching, tapering and carbo loading advice, but remember that the HM is quite a short event compared to what you are used to cycling. 2 hours is a respectable time, but if you get serious, you might do it in 1.5 hrs.

If you have a time in mind, you'll need to tailor your training to that, and do a lot more volume.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Three goals:

Run it, and enjoy running it.

Faster than 2 hours. I won't consider running a marathon unless I have a good chance of doing it in less than 4 hours, so that gives me a 2 hour target for the HM.

Raise money for HMSA

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Three goals:

Run it, and enjoy running it.

Faster than 2 hours. I won't consider running a marathon unless I have a good chance of doing it in less than 4 hours, so that gives me a 2 hour target for the HM.

Raise money for HMSA

A 2 hour HM runner most likely will not produce a sub 4 hour marathon but it will be a good base to work on. Faster than 2 hours is most likely doable for you though, its just under 9.5 minutes per mile. If you would like some information on structured training I can recommend several texts or provide some basic info (I am not a qualified coach yet but I am a qualified and insured run leader under the UKA with some experience of outlining training programmes and a reasonably experienced runner, although someone like jay clock will probly be a better bet for advice for longer distances). For most detailed advice I would require at least a 5km time, 10km time preferably (used to work out some rough training pace zones).

VamP

Banned
A 2 hour HM runner most likely will not produce a sub 4 hour marathon but it will be a good base to work on. Faster than 2 hours is most likely doable for you though, its just under 9.5 minutes per mile. If you would like some information on structured training I can recommend several texts or provide some basic info (I am not a qualified coach yet but I am a qualified and insured run leader under the UKA and a reasonably experienced runner, although someone like jay clock will probly be a better bet for advice for longer distances). For most detailed advice I would require at least a 5km time, 10km time preferably.

Crikey! Sounds like you know your shoot.

At the risk of muscling in on here, I have a PB at 10k of 46 minutes, and would dearly like to get below 39 minutes (my GF's PB). Any hints and tips? I would be looking for the most impact for the least effort :biggrin: as most of my training time goes on cycling.

I just know you're going to suggest interval training :wacko:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The simple answer is of course intervals (there are many combo's of intervals you could use), they give you the biggest bang for your buck but long slow runs shouldnt be neglected, for 10km training I end up running about 25 mile a week with the longest runs being about 8-9 mile.

I also use a 4 phase training process, base, build, build, peak. Each lasting 4 weeks, 3 weeks of hard work and progression followed by one week recovery. Each phase is composed of a different combination of base runs, long slow runs and intervals (of varying length and structure).

I can only provide basic advice based on reading and what works for me. Hopefully I will get my coaching training paid for soon though :tongue:

You will be hard pressed to knock 7 minutes off your PB in a rush though (your gf is very fast, I am at about your pace), could take longer than a year and several iterations knocking a few minutes or less off each time, the faster you get the harder it is to knock time off.

VamP

Banned
You will be hard pressed to knock 7 minutes off your PB in a rush though (your gf is very fast, I am at about your pace), could take longer than a year and several iterations knocking a few minutes or less off each time, the faster you get the harder it is to knock time off.

Yeah, I have already noticed that it's not easy to knock off significant chunks any more. I have been trying to get to her speed for nearly six months now, so I totally appreciate the magnitude of the mountain.

Thanks for your tips, I'll do some reading in that direction.

Most of all I need to decide whether I really want to catch up, or just let her have this one tiny little victory, and beat her in cycling, rock climbing and skiing :biggrin:

Who said it was not (gentle)manly to pick on girls? :blush:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
BrumJim,
Beware of injuries. The bike is a constrained set of movements, running is not. Most injuries for triathletes appear to be from the run. I had a number of calf injuries when I first started to do tri's. Stretching every day helped prevent injuries.

I read a number of papers on this, some to do with stretching before races and training, some after and the effects, they turn up in google.

What I summarised was you must stick to the same routine whatever it was, don't chop and change. If you stretch post exercise you may get a performance increase of 5 to 7 % (endurance atheletes). I never stretch before, just my preference.

Last year was the first running race I ever did ( a 10k) so I'm no runner.

What I do is sit on the floor each night while watching the tele and do some stretching, I use my watch to time each stretch and go through the same routine. I've been injury free for 6 months now (fingers crossed) and I've done sprints/olympic/duathlons/time trials and the cyclone this season and I am building up to Kielder.

HTH

Top Bottom