Bike to Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
For real. Arnica helps to prevent bruising. I don't know exactly how it works, but I would guess it's either something to do with helping the tiny tears in the muscles to repair, or clearing the old blood from the tears out of the muscle.

I'm not a big fan of homeopathic remedies in general but I have a sneaking regard for arnica - my wife used it on a cat after he'd had some teeth removed and his recovery was amazing. Since then my wife has always pointed out (somewhat smugly in my opinion) that cats are not subject to the placebo effect.

Fiona N

Veteran
.... Since then my wife has always pointed out (somewhat smugly in my opinion) that cats are not subject to the placebo effect.

Well actually they are :biggrin: Homopathy works on animals in the same way as it does in people - being tended to makes you get better a bit quicker and if you get special attention that's even better. Humans are animals after all ;)

The placebo effect works on the owners too! Arnica is a herbal remedy not a homeopathic one. Homeopathy is a load of cr*p with no science behind it, whereas some herbal remedies such as arnica and st johns wort do actually work with known mechanisms of action.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hey BrumJim, you going well, I think you will complete pretty easy. I ran my 1st half marathon distance last sunday (unofficial route, clocked using two garmins, Garmin Edge 500 stuffed in my shorts pocket and a Forerunner 205).

I just got put onto claiming my running handicap (well I got told about it ages ago by someone at parkrun, but didnt act until now as I get told about lots of things by the UKA, parkrun and local clubs so half of it I forget), if you want to log training miles per week and have your parkrun times (and other events) linked to your profile and be provided with race listings you may wish to enter you can get your handicap and it will tell you how fast you need to run over certain distances in order to improve it.

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/

It may or may not be your kind of thing, but its free and all you need to do is register and tell it your parkrun barcode number (minus the A at the start) for automatic updates to profile based on the parkrun system. For other events you need to tell it your time and event and using your details it will find you and link the data to your profile.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
OK, put my age-graded score of 57.27% from Parkrun into the web site here: Running for Fitness

Looks like I'll complete the 1/2 marathon in 1hr 45, as long as I keep training. Which looks good. And looks even better if you extend that to a full marathon (if I ever do one), making 3 hrs 45 possible. Wouldn't do one if I thought I would take longer than 4 hours.

However, it is based on a split of 8mins 15 odd seconds for the 1/2 marathon. Last week I ran 5.5 miles with 9 mins 10 secs splits, which is quite a lot slower, and I thought I was pushing quite hard. Either I'm not running anything like as fast as I can do, or the web site is spreading lies and deceit.

Can I trust it?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
OK, put my age-graded score of 57.27% from Parkrun into the web site here: Running for Fitness

Looks like I'll complete the 1/2 marathon in 1hr 45, as long as I keep training. Which looks good. And looks even better if you extend that to a full marathon (if I ever do one), making 3 hrs 45 possible. Wouldn't do one if I thought I would take longer than 4 hours.

However, it is based on a split of 8mins 15 odd seconds for the 1/2 marathon. Last week I ran 5.5 miles with 9 mins 10 secs splits, which is quite a lot slower, and I thought I was pushing quite hard. Either I'm not running anything like as fast as I can do, or the web site is spreading lies and deceit.

Can I trust it?

I wouldnt trust it.

I will use myself as an example, I run 5km in 0:21:37, 10km in 0:46:51 and it took me, 2:12:xx and 1:58:xx to complete a half marathon distance both times I have done so (in training - not a race). Although both times were "long slow runs" not race efforts so probly set off too slow and I blew up a bit in the last 2 mile both times and havent done any speed training for months :tongue:

These equations etc work pretty well for some people, so maybe its just me that is an exception!

colinr

There's a disclaimer somewhere on that site that explains the times are based on putting in the appropriate training, they're not instant translations from one distance to another.

Pottsy

Don't trust it as the others have said.

I can run sub 1:39 half marathon but a 3:45 marathon is probably beyond my current fitness level. As Rob3rt says, those ratios between run times only apply if you've done all the training for the appropriate distance i.e. for a marathon you're doing a sufficient amount of long runs, or for a shorter distances, the appropriate amount of speed or interval or tempo style training. They won't work if you're just stepping up to a longer run for the first time.

Also, just as a point to make, if you've not run a marathon before, it's a lot, lot, lot tougher than a half marathon, I'd say about 5 to 10 times harder for most people.

VamP

Banned
Also, just as a point to make, if you've not run a marathon before, it's a lot, lot, lot tougher than a half marathon, I'd say about 5 to 10 times harder for most people.

+1

Absolutely. I would agree to run a half at the drop of a hat, and not worry about training particularly, but I would think long and very very hard about agreeing to do another marathon. And then train religiously.

The pain of the last 5k has to be experienced to be believed.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
1 min 10 seconds quicker this week on Parkrun. But different park with less hills, so was probably a quicker course.

Got to push distance up to 6 miles this week or next.

Ellis456

What lower muscles do you work different from cycling?, anyone know?. is it worth also dedicating a day for jogging or just stick to cycling?.

I injured my self after an ultra and now come to a stop after 4-5 miles yet I can cycle 30 odd miles and any hills with out the slightest twinge which just goes to show what a completely different set of muscles are in use.
The advantage running has given me is a big weight lose which now makes cycling so much easier especially hills and of course a big improvement in general fitness apart from a screwed leg :smile:.

Willo

The physio who helped me recover from a serious achilles injury a couple of years back recommended Arnica. He told me he'd been sceptical initially but has noted improved recovery when it's applied. I now use a herbal rub that contains Arnica called Nature's Kiss whenever I get some aches in my lower legs (you can get it in running shops or online at places like Wiggle).

Do build up the running slowly and allow recovery time. And sorry if stating the obvious, but trainers suited to your specific gait are important too. I find mixing running with cycling has been great for me. Problem is that since I got into cycling, the running increasingly feels like a chore im comparison!

marooned

Über Member
I don't know what different muscles you use, but biometrically, it is a totally different movement. Also you may not be used to impact sports. If you want to be runner, you will need to spend time running (may sound obvious). Although cycling gives you a cardio workout, you need to train your body to run.

What lower muscles do you work different from cycling?, anyone know?. is it worth also dedicating a day for jogging or just stick to cycling?.

Top Bottom