Bike to Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Yes, not eating breakfast before a long run/race is a bad idea.

Everyone is different, so what you need to eat before, during and after a long race for recovery will be very much personal to you. What most runners do when training for a half or longer is use their long training runs to try out different fuelling methods, so they already know what works by the time they get to the race.

Like VamP, I can run a half without taking on energy during the race, as long as I've had a decent breakfast. I do need water, however, but only in small sips or it starts to make me feel queasy.

colinr

I've never had an issue with skipping breakfast, even with fairly intense exercise. I'm prone to cramps and stitches so tend to do better with a big meal the night before to carry me through.

As for symptoms, I was being polite, it was more or less runner's diarrhoea but without the 'results'. On reflection I think it was a) the gels - they've had the same effect before and b) this was the first run I've done that was significantly longer than an hour. So more practise and gels only for the bike.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
One of the TdF riders was suffering stomach cramps from Energy Gels, IIRC, so that could be the cause.

Interesting, as I ride on Jelly Babies, and was planning on running on the same, even though running short pockets are smaller than cycling jersey ones. Could be something to consider.

lulubel

Über Member
I've never had an issue with skipping breakfast, even with fairly intense exercise.

Long runs are about duration rather than intensity. I'd certainly agree with leaving a long gap between food and a fast run.

But a lot of people do have problems with gels, so that would be the first thing to look at if your stomach's getting upset. The only thing is, if you struggle with taking on any form of energy during your runs, you may have to start eating breakfast just to have enough fuel in your body to get you through the run.

VamP

Banned
I've never had an issue with skipping breakfast, even with fairly intense exercise. I'm prone to cramps and stitches so tend to do better with a big meal the night before to carry me through.

As for symptoms, I was being polite, it was more or less runner's diarrhoea but without the 'results'. On reflection I think it was a) the gels - they've had the same effect before and b) this was the first run I've done that was significantly longer than an hour. So more practise and gels only for the bike.

I'd agree with that assesment.

As for stitches and cramps, I too am a sufferer, and for a 10k or 5k I will make sure the gap between breakfast and race is longer than 3 hours, 5 hours would be ideal for me. That's because in these races, you're running flat out from the go. In a half (or full) the first 20 minutes is easing in, and even thereafter I rarely approach threshold speeds.

I do think that 15 hours is too long though, but if you have experimented and that is the only way you can prevent stitches, then you have to go with it.

Slamming in a gel just as you get up to speed on an empty stomach is asking for trouble though. How about a gel or energy drink an hour before the start - that might be worth experimenting with. Preferably in training rather then on race day.

As stated above everyone is different in this regard, my GF can eat a square meal 10 minutes before setting off on a 10k run, and still leave me trailing. Grrr, I hate her! Well obvioously I love her, but sometimes she could be a little less superhuman :rolleyes:

VamP

Banned
One of the TdF riders was suffering stomach cramps from Energy Gels, IIRC, so that could be the cause.

Interesting, as I ride on Jelly Babies, and was planning on running on the same, even though running short pockets are smaller than cycling jersey ones. Could be something to consider.

Experiment in training.

I couldn't eat jelly babies while running, but others can.

The only time I take on food in a running race is in the full marathon, and that would be half a banana about 30-35km in. And I'll slow right down, or even walk as I eat it. And stay slow for another 5-10 minutes*

*That should be in past tense, as I resolved some time ago never to run another marathon again :whistle:

colinr

It's like getting bike fit right though, make a small adjustment then spend an hour finding out if it worked or not :smile:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I used to get cramps in triathlons going from the bike to the run. Mostly due to nerves from the start. I tried using 1/2 tea spoon of bicarb in water before I left the house after breakfast and this helped me.

I heard some years ago that Steve Cram used to take it before racing to help prevent lactic acid build up.

The Jogger

Legendary Member

If I need to bring fuel with me on a run, either jelly babies or something else to eat, I wear a cycling shirt and make use of the back pockets. Phone, jelly babies, does an excellent job and of course breathable.

VamP

Banned
Right, here's a new tangent!

GF and I have signed up for a duathlon in October. We both cycle, and we both run, so all seems good on that front. Nevertheless duathlons bring their own sets of challenges - namely transitions and mutually incompatible kits.

Any experienced dua- or tri- peeps wanna throw in their experience?

My current thinking is to stick to the knitting, throw flat pedals on the bike, and do the whole thing in running shoes. Clothes-wise, I'll see what running in my bib shorts feels like, and if that's pants (get it? :blush: ), I'll cycle in running shorts.

Am thinking no food, and just an energy drink on the bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

GF and I have signed up for a duathlon in October. We both cycle, and we both run, so all seems good on that front. Nevertheless duathlons bring their own sets of challenges - namely transitions and mutually incompatible kits.

My current thinking is to stick to the knitting, throw flat pedals on the bike, and do the whole thing in running shoes. Clothes-wise, I'll see what running in my bib shorts feels like, and if that's pants (get it? :blush: ), I'll cycle in running shorts.

I've never done a duathlon or tri yet but am taking it on next year, and am about to join a tri club for next season, so I have done a fair bit of reading. From my reading and a bit of a play on the turbo I would say:

Buy a tri suit, they have a thin ass pad that will make bike more comfy but will not chafe when you run.

Learn to set up your shoes on the bike and then put your feet into them whilst riding, basically shoes are already attached to pedals and you stand on the shoe to cycle off then as moving you put your feet in and tighten velcro.

Also either learn to undo all three straps on cycling shoes or buy tri shoes and learn to undo those whilst moving.

As you approach transition, freewheel, with one foot up, rip velco open, hold shoe, pull foot out then put it on top of the shoe, then pedal to keep momentum and then do the other foot.

Buy those elastic laces with a toggle for tightening for your running shoes, in transition jump off, rack the bike and pull the shoes on and go go go!

Lots of youtube video's of how to transition.

fimm

Veteran

I've done about a dozen duathlons and triathlons in the past 4 years, and so far I haven't bothered to learn the fast transition process that Rob3ert describes - I reckoned that I was slow enough that the extra minute or so saved by being really slick in transition wasn't worth the time spent learning how to do it. And it you try in a race without practicing first, you will come a cropper, and probably waste more time than you would just stopping and changing your shoes. Anyway you do need tri-specific bike shoes to do this, and there's no point investing in those if you've got perfectly good cycling shoes untill you decide you're really serious.

I do have tri-specific shoes, and speed laces in my trainers (those would be a relatively cheap thing to get) and I'm beginning to think that I really ought to learn the fast transition thing!

I would expect that most people would change their shoes for the bike in a duathlon. Cycling in trainers tends to say "newbie". It is your choice, though! How long is the one you've entered?

I did my first triathlons in a swimming costume, putting cycle shorts on after the swim and found that running 5km in cycling shorts was fine. I never bother to change my shorts if I'm running off the bike*. So I think you'll be fine wearing cycling shorts - but you are right to try it first! (These days I have trisuits).

*You should do some 'brick' sessions - ie cycle and then go for a run immediately afterwards. It is very useful to find out how weird your legs feel running off the bike. I don't recall doing any run to bike bricks when I was doing duathlon training.

VamP

Banned
I'm thinking running shoes on bike in this one, mainly because I don't really have the time to practice transitions, don't really know if duathlons are going to be my thing, so don't want to particularly invest in new kit, and am not concerned if others consider me a newbie. Especially if I can get a decent placing :biggrin: . There's nothing I like better than beating peeps on TT bikes in time trials, with my road bike, and shoe straps flapping in the wind. :whistle:

The race we're doing is Sandy Balls, 5.5km run, 20 km bike, 5.5km run. The bike piece is relatively short, and I can't see trainers on bike costing me more in time than the time I'll save in transition.

If I catch the bug then I'll go all the way :rolleyes:

GF has flatly refused to spend any money on kit specifically for this race, saying she'll do the whole thing in her boarding shorts :hello: and on flat pedals (no clips) off her commute hybrid. She'll probs still pannel me.:wacko:

Yeah, brick sessions. Agreed. I'm finding running and cycling in same day tough, never mind straight on top of each other.

Top Bottom