Bike to Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian 74

My favorite 1/2 Ironman thingy is ," A Day in the Lakes", bloody good day out, swim in ulswater we had 2ft waves this year and last year it was so warm you could do it without wet suits. Cycle over Kirkstone and shap, then finish it of with a cross country/ a bit of felly half marathon. Magic.

If that sounds a bit much the Cleveland Steelman is pretty flat flat flat, which is alright for speed but can be a little boring.

Good luck with your training and don't overdo the running, 2-3 times a week should be sufficient if you do loads of cycling.

wave.gif

fimm

Veteran
I get the impression that "A Day in the Lakes" makes Ironman 70.3 UK look easy, though? And Ironman 70.3 UK has a tough bike course? I did Aberfeldy Middle yesterday - swim in Loch Tay (always cold, got a bit wavey for us slower swimmers yesterday), cycle round Loch Rannoch (nice flat course except you go out over a big hill near the beginning and come back over it towards the end), run along by the river (undulating is the word, I believe...)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I get the impression that "A Day in the Lakes" makes Ironman 70.3 UK look easy, though? And Ironman 70.3 UK has a tough bike course? I did Aberfeldy Middle yesterday - swim in Loch Tay (always cold, got a bit wavey for us slower swimmers yesterday), cycle round Loch Rannoch (nice flat course except you go out over a big hill near the beginning and come back over it towards the end), run along by the river (undulating is the word, I believe...)

Congrats on your race yesterday, what were your split times like?

Ian 74

I get the impression that "A Day in the Lakes" makes Ironman 70.3 UK look easy, though? And Ironman 70.3 UK has a tough bike course?
I did Aberfeldy Middle yesterday - swim in Loch Tay (always cold, got a bit wavey for us slower swimmers yesterday), cycle round Loch Rannoch (nice flat course except you go out over a big hill near the beginning and come back over it towards the end), run along by the river (undulating is the word, I believe...)

First well done you looks like a great event and it sounds like you had a blast... Mentioning IM UK 70.3 as you did I thought I'd take the opportunity to get something off my chest.... Hrmmm here goes.

Sadly with IM prices the way they are I don't think I'll be doing wimbleball any time soon to compare the two. Just checked the web made me chuckle £210 man that takes the
angry.gif
p1ss, don't forget the £18 booking fee on top.... A Day in the Lakes £40 bosh, great day out tough, rewarding course in some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK...

I'm sure IM UK70.3 is a fab event, I just don't think it is geared towards us poor people.

Any way sorry for having a rant it just annoys me.
thumbsup.png

fimm

Veteran
Yes, with Ironman you pay a lot and you're paying for the brand and the experience so on. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. I think Aberfeldy was £80? I was pretty slow - I thought I was in the last dozen or so, but turn out to have been 25th ish from last - 47 minute swim, 3:40 bike, 2:05 run (8 minute T1 because I was really cold coming out of the water...) total time 6:44.

Ian 74

Yes, with Ironman you pay a lot and you're paying for the brand and the experience so on. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. I think Aberfeldy was £80? I was pretty slow - I thought I was in the last dozen or so, but turn out to have been 25th ish from last - 47 minute swim, 3:40 bike, 2:05 run (8 minute T1 because I was really cold coming out of the water...) total time 6:44.

£80 is a reasonable figure. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and 25th ish from last ain't bad. I did the old man of coniston tri on a whim with no training and came LAST this year. I had an excellent day ended up doing 5 wainwrights instead of 4 but I was really pleased and proud to complete it in someways coming last was the icing on the cake. 8 and a bit hours all told, Truly brutal and I'll be back again next year but faster... Maybe, unless I get lazy again.
wacko.gif

tsddave

I used to run alot.

Afew pointers:=

1) Get yourself fitted to some good quality running shoes. Dont trust the shops - read running magazines and running websites for the best information on your foot type and what makes of shoes are best for it.

2) Dont go any real distance in new shoes, especially not an event. Break them in for at least a months worth of running 1st.
This assumes you will run at least 3 times a week.

3) Take fluid and a light energy snack with you on your runs. Dont be afraid to wear a backpack either. This can contain a rain coat and other essentials for long runs

4) In training for an event get yourself on a good exercise plan to prepare yourself for an event. Dont rush things it will only end in tears.

5) Sleep proper hours , eat healthy and drink plenty of water throughout every day. It will make a world of difference to whatever sport you do.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
8.5 miles last week, but for some reason didn't feel good, so was only doing 9 minute miles.
Gave blood this week, so reluctant to push this up again until next week. So planning a 7.5 miles with my training partner/minister tomorrow, and 8.5 again on Thursday home from work. With Parkrun on Saturday to finish the week off.

Legs hurting during and after running, but don't get worse during the run. Mostly at the bottom of calves at the back, and a slight hint of plantar fasciitis still remaining in the left foot.

Went cycling on Saturday - 60 miles and some serious climbing (1,400 ft on one climb, and two others in the 600ft region). Loved it, and nothing hurt. So suffering from "don't like running" syndrome at the moment. However Pubrunner on the same ride has seen me ascend these hills, and thinks that I should finish easily in 1hr 45mins. Like his confidence!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are you trying to do all of your runs at the same longer distance? I think you might be better off doing something like

Tuesday - 3-5 mile
Wednesday - 4-6 mile
Friday - 3-5 mile
Sunday - Long run

You might also like to start doing some speedwork (now you have got some miles into your legs) on the wednesday and friday too, maybe tuesday 1km reps x 4 with 2 mins easy running in between (plus a 1 mile warm up and cooldown), and friday fartlekk or 30-30 reps.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Only three runs a week at the moment. One day is pushing hard (long and fast), one day is more gentle - 11 minute miles and 6+ miles in length, but more sociable, and Parkrun (Saturday) is speed work, but no reps. Might replace one of the longer runs with the proper speed work instead, although if I time Parkrun right I can make that 1 mile fast, 10 minutes rest, 5k fast, 5 minutes rest, 1 mile fast.

If I have a good long run this week, then might feel a lot better.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

6.5 miles on Wednesday
9.5 miles on Thursday.

Lower calf left leg was complaining, otherwise it would have been 10.5 miles. Thought caution was the better option, especially as the last mile was downhill, so wasn't cheating to walk it instead. I'd done all the hard work.

Yes, much better. Back down to 8min 10s miles, except on uphill bits and where I stopped for a drink.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

9 miles, at consistent 8 minute mile pace, and no pains at the end - just general muscle tiredness. And felt pretty good too at the end.

Feeling confident for 23rd now.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Pubrunner on the same ride has seen me ascend these hills, and thinks that I should finish easily in 1hr 45mins. Like his confidence!!

A fair prediction, I feel ! 1hr 45mins is pretty much 'spot on' 8 minute mile pace !

9 miles, at consistent 8 minute mile pace, and no pains at the end - just general muscle tiredness. And felt pretty good too at the end.

Feeling confident for 23rd now.

Pace is the key; you should (imo) be aiming to do 8 minute miles all the way round. Consistent pace is the thing and if you can achieve that, your confidence will grow during the race. But don't worry if you get held up at the start and your 1st mile is 8.30. However, if you do a 7.30 1st mile, you'll almost certainly 'pay' for it later.

Best of luck ! . . . . . . . & enjoy it !

Top Bottom