Bike to Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

Not as amazing as the posts above, but went for my first proper run since February after coming down with severe runners knee.

Done 3.8 miles in 33 minutes. Feel really good and the knee feels perfect. Hopefully combined with the cycling I should progress in both disciplines. But its baby steps for now. Not going to go too far too fast. Made that mistake before.

Just out of interest they say the glutes are very important in running as in they need to be well used so they fire I think my physio said so at least cycling is good for producing strong and fully functioning glutes ?

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Glutes have not been a problem when running at all.
Calf muscles been giving me the most grief. On very long runs, the tops of my thighs start to complain.
Quads and glutes not even being hinting of strain.

Glutes have not been a problem when running at all.
Calf muscles been giving me the most grief. On very long runs, the tops of my thighs start to complain.
Quads and glutes not even being hinting of strain.

My upper legs have been fine too but in the past I have had knee problems which according to the physio could have been caused by lazy glutes :smile:

Glover Fan

Got some DOMS today, but not as bad as when I have started running before. Aches in my quads. Strange because when I ran they didn't hurt at all, but my calfs were awful, but don't hurt today!

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

OK, half marathon on Sunday.
I've really been enjoying the tapering. Would have preferred to have started it a bit earlier (say, June). Now for the hardcore bit - off the alcohol after tonight.
Weather forecast to be warm, but windy. Wind from the S/SW, so with us for the first half, against for the second. Not too sure how to deal with this - fight it for the first part, and recover for the second before the final 2 mile hill and 1 mile flat, or keep energy consumption constant, so starting off slowly, and picking up speed on the return.
Oh, and definitely going for a 1hr 45 time, Mr Pubrunner.

pepecat

How'd you go Jim? I was looking out for you on Mary Vale road, but must have missed you.

brockers

Slight hijack, but I think I've finally got this running lark sussed. It might be somewhere upthread, but somewhere someone said to go really slowly for the first five minutes. I tried that, and found my strides got much smaller, but it felt more natural. I've been midfoot running for the last year, but would still go off too fast, but by making my strides smaller and quicker I can go for longer without even breaking into a sweat. To go faster, I up my stride rate to about 4 per second but keeping the strides quite small with the result that I actually feel like a proper runner (sort of)! I guess it's like learning how to spin a higher but more supple and efficient cadence on a bike.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Sorry - was wearing a bright orange top, but no cycle helmet!

Did it in 1hr 46mins 11secs. Slightly disappointed that I didn't break the 1hr 45 barrier, but ran as hard as I could, and pleased with the result, especially since this was my first ever running event since 1990, and my longest ever by a factor of >4.

Top Bottom