Bike to Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm thinking running shoes on bike in this one, mainly because I don't really have the time to practice transitions, don't really know if duathlons are going to be my thing, so don't want to particularly invest in new kit, and am not concerned if others consider me a newbie. Especially if I can get a decent placing :biggrin: . There's nothing I like better than beating peeps on TT bikes in time trials, with my road bike, and shoe straps flapping in the wind. :whistle:

The race we're doing is Sandy Balls, 5.5km run, 20 km bike, 5.5km run. The bike piece is relatively short, and I can't see trainers on bike costing me more in time than the time I'll save in transition.

If I catch the bug then I'll go all the way :rolleyes:

GF has flatly refused to spend any money on kit specifically for this race, saying she'll do the whole thing in her boarding shorts :hello: and on flat pedals (no clips) off her commute hybrid. She'll probs still pannel me.:wacko:

Yeah, brick sessions. Agreed. I'm finding running and cycling in same day tough, never mind straight on top of each other.

Try using some straps like re-strap maybe? They are easy to get in and out of, work well with running shoes (I find proper straps and clips a bit awkward in bigger trainers with laces) and are reasonably secure. I use them on my fixed because I like that bike to be a bit casual.

fimm

Veteran
I'm thinking running shoes on bike in this one, mainly because I don't really have the time to practice transitions, don't really know if duathlons are going to be my thing, so don't want to particularly invest in new kit, and am not concerned if others consider me a newbie. Especially if I can get a decent placing :biggrin: . There's nothing I like better than beating peeps on TT bikes in time trials, with my road bike, and shoe straps flapping in the wind. :whistle:

The race we're doing is Sandy Balls, 5.5km run, 20 km bike, 5.5km run. The bike piece is relatively short, and I can't see trainers on bike costing me more in time than the time I'll save in transition.

If I catch the bug then I'll go all the way :rolleyes:

GF has flatly refused to spend any money on kit specifically for this race, saying she'll do the whole thing in her boarding shorts :hello: and on flat pedals (no clips) off her commute hybrid. She'll probs still pannel me.:wacko:

Yeah, brick sessions. Agreed. I'm finding running and cycling in same day tough, never mind straight on top of each other.

All that sounds reasonable to me. After posting earlier I went out for a lunchtime run and while I was out remembered a clubmate who is a strong swimmer and runner but new to cycling - she cycles in her trainers and is pretty fast over the whole race.

(I remember once passing a plumpish bloke on a TT bike going downhill. I did think "there's no way I should be able to pass you..." I can't remember if that was the year I was on my MTB (in trainers) or after I got the road bike)

Another tip is to walk transition once you've racked your bike. Go to where you'll come in off the run, look for where your bike is (how many racks to the left/right? How many supports from the end? Any landmarks? (NOT other bikes as they may or may not be there when you get there!) and know what route you are going to take to get to it. Same with the Bike In point - this is harder as at most all you have to find is a pair of trainers, and in your case it will just be your racking spot - know where you have to go and how you're going to get there.

Edited to add that for those distances I would go with just the energy drink on the bike and nothing else.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
+1 for the walk round transition. There is nothing better for picking out newbies than a lost bike.

+1 for the energy drink only, its enough.

There are loads of people who get the bike off the rack, run to the mount point jump on and spend the next 100 yards fiddling with their shoes.

Make sure you remember to pick up the helmet first and the bike last on the way out and take the helmet off last on the way back after racking your bike. You don't want a penalty for mixing things up.

If you get the chance, go and watch a tri and you'll see all the mistakes people make. You get disoriented when you come out of the water and forget all kinds of stuff, like how to walk.

I use elastic laces in all my trainers now, I just tie them in a knot and curt the ends off. It drives me mad if I have normal laces flapping when I'm running. Who wants to losen their laces when they take their shoes off!

VamP

Banned
Look at all the multisporters coming out of the woodwork :hello:

Thanks for the feedback, it more or less supports the assumptions I had made, so that's a relief.

I read on an American website that people mark their racking spot with a distinctive towel. Is that something that is allowed in UK events also?

Pottsy

My ex did a beginners tri a few years ago in Richmond Park with the swim in a local hotel leisure complex. She had no problem finding her bike after the swim as it was the only one left after she'd finished blow-drying her hair
blush.gif

I'm not suggesting this a s a good racing tactic though VamP.

VamP

Banned
My ex did a beginners tri a few years ago in Richmond Park with the swim in a local hotel leisure complex. She had no problem finding her bike after the swim as it was the only one left after she'd finished blow-drying her hair
blush.gif

I'm not suggesting this a s a good racing tactic though VamP.

:biggrin:

I think I agree with you. Especially as there's no swimming in my event, and I got no hair :whistle:

fimm

Veteran
I read on an American website that people mark their racking spot with a distinctive towel. Is that something that is allowed in UK events also?

It is common to have a towel at your bike for after you've been swimming - I don't know if you'd get away with it for a duathlon though...

If you're looking for a UK based triathlon site/forum, I can recommend http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is common to have a towel at your bike for after you've been swimming - I don't know if you'd get away with it for a duathlon though...

If you're looking for a UK based triathlon site/forum, I can recommend http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/

I signed up on there yesterday, will be using it more regular after my tight deadline is over on monday and I can relax and browse around and get to know the forum a bit. Hoping to get told straight if I'm absolutelly mental for considering signing up for IMUK 70.3 next june when it takes place 3 weeks after my 1st marathon and I also cannot swim well, so would have to learn and train hard over winter in the pool :tongue: I think I may be nuts but I am seriously considering it.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Thinking, quite seriously now, about running the Birmingham Half Marathon in October.

So, I can ride 50 miles at a reasonable pace (top 20% of the last Sportive that I did), and have been up to 75 miles. I love the challenge of a good hill, and every day I do a 6 mile commute as fast as I can get away with - recently averaged 20.3, but that was a special route - straight and flat main road for the first half. So I'm happy that I'm reasonably fit.

But I don't run. I last ran for a reasonable distance in 1990, and that was 5k. 13 miles and a bit is much longer. Tonight I have just done 2 miles, and feel pretty similar as far as leg muscles go, to a 40 mile ride.

Any tips for converting my cycling fitness to running? I guess I just need to get some miles in those running legs.

Take it slowly. You might think so but runners use very different muscle groups and whilst runners adapt well to cycles, it's not always the case the other way around.
The most striking difference is the impact from running on knees, back, shoulders etc
It's something I would work towards quite gradually :smile:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
@Rob3rt you might want to look at the Cleveland Steelman in July? and give yourself time to recover from the marathon. I find big races of any kind take about 2-3 weeks to get any speed back in my legs and then its a week or two to after that to get really moving again. Sprints I can do a week a part and a Sprint to Oly is ok but an Oly takes me a week or more to fully recover.

Pack things tightly together and you will become more subject to injury.

Running is a pig for injuries its not like the bike where you have constrained movements.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
@Rob3rt you might want to look at the Cleveland Steelman in July? and give yourself time to recover from the marathon. I find big races of any kind take about 2-3 weeks to get any speed back in my legs and then its a week or two to after that to get really moving again. Sprints I can do a week a part and a Sprint to Oly is ok but an Oly takes me a week or more to fully recover.

Pack things tightly together and you will become more subject to injury.

Running is a pig for injuries its not like the bike where you have constrained movements.

Yup, I'm well aware of the issues, but it is very tempting to risk it (although my rage level would be very high if I got a DNF having spent £210 on entry). That other event is interesting, but call this shallow if you like, I would prefer to complete a branded IM event. Although I suppose I could do that cleveland event this year and maye the official 70.3 or even full IM the year after.

BTW, I'm a more experienced runner than I am cyclist, I run a lot more than I do cycle :smile: Cycling would be my 2nd sport.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride

But that's dependant upon your style of training, the type of shoes you wear, how often you train, pre and post run dietary intake

Many have integrated both sports excellently but they really are strange bed fellows

VamP

Banned
Yup, I'm well aware of the issues, but it is very tempting to risk it (although my rage level would be very high if I got a DNF having spent £210 on entry). That other event is interesting, but call this shallow if you like, I would prefer to complete a branded IM event. Although I suppose I could do that cleveland event this year and maye the official 70.3 or even full IM the year after.

BTW, I'm a more experienced runner than I am cyclist, I run a lot more than I do cycle :smile: Cycling would be my 2nd sport.

That looks like a tough event.

Personally I find the marathon distance a killer, so my biggest concern would the recovery between your first marathon, and the 70.3. What about doing a marathon later this year, or earlier next, to gauge how it affects you and your recovery speed?

Good luck learning to swim :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That looks like a tough event.

Personally I find the marathon distance a killer, so my biggest concern would the recovery between your first marathon, and the 70.3. What about doing a marathon later this year, or earlier next, to gauge how it affects you and your recovery speed?

Good luck learning to swim :thumbsup:

Im already signed up for Greater Manchester Marathon and have a place, so this event it set in stone now. Unless you mean trying another this year? I'm hesitant to do this even though I think I would make the distance with 3 months training, because if I overdo it and end up not being able to to do either of my targets for next year due to injury that would be devastating. I need arrive at the marathon in good shape. Actually this was one of my drivers for doing some duathlon and tri training, to get training in, but to reduce injury risk by shifting some of the load to bike and swim training.

VamP

Banned
Im already signed up for Greater Manchester Marathon and have a place, so this event it set in stone now. Unless you mean trying another this year? I'm hesitant to do this even though I think I would make the distance with 3 months training, because if I overdo it and end up not being able to to do either of my targets for next year due to injury that would be devastating. I need arrive at the marathon in good shape. Actually this was one of my drivers for doing some duathlon and tri training, to get training in, but to reduce injury risk by shifting some of the load to bike and swim training.

Yeah that's what I meant, squeeze another marathon in ahead of the Greater Manchester.

Not even an official one, just run the marathon distance in training, and gauge your recovery from that. That gives you opt out if anything feels wrong.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it, worthy goals.
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom