Bike to Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
6 miles on Monday, but bad pain in the base of a foot, led to hobbling around that evening.
Felt a lot better in the morning, but still can feel it today, so no more running until Saturday morning at the earliest.
Then hope to commute home next week by running (6.3 miles)

colinr

I ran my first half marathon yesterday and can confirm that if you don't train properly, that race predictor isn't at all accurate!

Also, I need to work out a way of not eating anything for a long time before running that far, was very uncomfortable by the end.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I ran my first half marathon yesterday and can confirm that if you don't train properly, that race predictor isn't at all accurate!

Also, I need to work out a way of not eating anything for a long time before running that far, was very uncomfortable by the end.

What did you eat prior to the run?

colinr

Ate chilli and pasta about 7pm the night before, then nothing until a gel bar 5km into the run (would've been about 10.30). I'm thinking big lunch the day before and very light evening meal next time. Don't think I needed the gel either, water should be enough.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My subjective, non-scientific, personal experience is that regular running (5km twice a week, 10km once) improves your climbing ability on a bike.

Half marathon in October then I'm going to find a 5km - 50km - 10km or similar dualthlon to have a crack at. Crack will be the operative word, I'm sure I will, on the second run. The 'mental' side of running is something I need to find an answer to.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Since I have started running my 6 mile commuting speed has improved. Last year - 19.7 mile/h maximum with the wind behind me. Last Friday - 20.7 mile/h with no wind at all.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ate chilli and pasta about 7pm the night before, then nothing until a gel bar 5km into the run (would've been about 10.30). I'm thinking big lunch the day before and very light evening meal next time. Don't think I needed the gel either, water should be enough.

I dont see why this should be a problem, might be an isolated incident. I would eat a big pasta based meal the night before, then some porridge the morning of the race. Then gobble a jelly baby every 2-3 miles. I usually feel a bit tired toward the end of a long run like a half, but other than that, fine.

fimm

Veteran
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
is quite good for predicting run times from other run times (with the usual disclaimer of "if you've done the training") - if I put my 1:42 half time in it predicts a 45 minute 10k, my actual 10k pb of 48 minutes predicts a 1:47 half (I would say the half times are a better indication of my running, it is a long time since I did a standalone 10k). It predicts a 3:35 marathon from my half time, which is interesting.

Dualthons tend to be 10k - 40k - 5k, or 5k - 20k - 5k in my experience.

I tend to follow my boyfriend's habit of a bit meal the night before a race, then something very light like white rolls with jam/honey or croissants/pain au chocolate for breakfast, then 2 - 3 gels during the race for a half. If there's a bit of a placebo/mental aspect to using gels, I don't quite see the issue if it gets me round?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
http://www.mcmillanr...gcalculator.htm
is quite good for predicting run times from other run times (with the usual disclaimer of "if you've done the training") - if I put my 1:42 half time in it predicts a 45 minute 10k, my actual 10k pb of 48 minutes predicts a 1:47 half (I would say the half times are a better indication of my running, it is a long time since I did a standalone 10k). It predicts a 3:35 marathon from my half time, which is interesting.

Dualthons tend to be 10k - 40k - 5k, or 5k - 20k - 5k in my experience.

I tend to follow my boyfriend's habit of a bit meal the night before a race, then something very light like white rolls with jam/honey or croissants/pain au chocolate for breakfast, then 2 - 3 gels during the race for a half. If there's a bit of a placebo/mental aspect to using gels, I don't quite see the issue if it gets me round?

I agree in a race, but in training, not for me. Using gels too freely in training may create over reliance. I tend to carry something just in case but wont use it unless I have to, in a race, I wouldnt hesitate to pop a few gels down me.

colinr

If there's a bit of a placebo/mental aspect to using gels, I don't quite see the issue if it gets me round?

That's absolutely fine, however I'm wondering if they're what caused my discomfort. Some running forums reckon it can be IBS but I don't believe that as it's only affected me a couple of times and I usually run within 5-6 hours of eating, had a 15 hour gap on this one.

Anyway, jelly babies are on the menu for next time (if there is a next time)

My subjective, non-scientific, personal experience is that regular running (5km twice a week, 10km once) improves your climbing ability on a bike.

I'm inclined (ho ho) to agree. My theory is that running is a constant effort with suffering to match, so you get used to putting yourself through the inconvenience of pain. It's too easy to slow down on a bike when it gets harder, running doesn't really let you.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Gel's can upset your stomach, you need to find ones that work for you. You can practice their use in training and see which ones work for you, but it might breed reliance on gels because to test them, you have to take them.

When I am running hard, eating something like a jelly baby makes me feel sick, I took one from the marshall at the Greater Manchester 10km and nearly threw up as I was approaching the finish. But usually on a half I'd be running under my threshold confortably enough to get one down me every couple of mile, too often and i feel sick. I tried every mile and about 8 miles in I felt sick.

On a bike you can freewheel every now and then, running you cant stop momentarily without coming to a halt, but you will slow down, in fact your brain will try to slow you down much more in advance of fatigue as a protection mechanism to avoid damage by making you feel uncomfortable when in fact you are safe for a good long while yet, you can overcome it and run through the pain and it will eventually subside (part of the advantage of hard interval efforts, they dont just work for the body, but also the mind) until real fatigue hits and the wheels start coming off :tongue:

Pottsy

Seems odd to suffer with your stomach from what you've said - maybe some nervousness on the day?

For me, I will have a big pasta dinner the night before, regular breakfast (cereal and toast) in the morning but at least 3 hours before race time and a coffee to wake me up and get things, erm, moving.

For a half marathon or less I don't need to eat at all during the run, maybe a sip or two of energy drink to help me in the last 2 or 3 miles. For a 10k I probably wouldn't even drink water unless it's very hot.

It's good to practice whatever the routine you find works for you in your training. If it's a big run, same meals, get up the same time, run at the same time of day etc. Then there shouldn't be any surprises.

fimm

Veteran
If I'm planning on using gels in a race, I'll make sure I use some in training running up to that race, so I know I won't have issues. I don't routinely use gels in training, though. I also agree that you can take too many gels/take them too close together - I've had stomach pain in the past from doing this. I think I only take 2 or 3 over a half marathon - I wouldn't bother with any nutrition at all, nor even water, for a 10k.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A 10km race is run at just under threshold, anything going in is likely to come back out in my experience. I usually feel pretty rough at the end of a 5km or 10km. Whereas at the end of a half, I feel fatigued but not like death. Although it should be noted, the half's I have ran were just for the sake of it, not in a race, just long training runs. So maybe when im going race effort I'll be close to puking at the end :tongue:

I dont touch anything on a 10km, only took the jelly baby because it was been thrust out at me as I ran past and my impulse was to take it and eat it, lol.

VamP

Banned

That's absolutely fine, however I'm wondering if they're what caused my discomfort.

Can you describe the symptoms?

I am a little horrified that you are not eating any breakfast on race day. I would get up at three in the morning if I had to, to make sure breakfast takes place. As Rob3rt says, porridge rules. You need to make sure that there are about three hours between breakfast and race start.

Gels can upset your stomach, so maybe that was the problem? It's hard to tell from your despription of the symptoms.

Personally, I would not eat anything on a half, and just take some water, and swill around my mouth and spit out again. I find any kind of a volume of anything in my stomach causes problems while running. Cycling I could eat a horse and still keep going :biggrin:

Top Bottom