Bike vs HGV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

[QUOTE 1649511, member: 3143"]Oh dear, the same ignorant contributions punctuated by the odd common sense post.

Nice post Sub, in theory you could say that your 10yr old daughter has more common sense then most of the pople that have contributed to this thread - and you would not be wrong.[/quote]

Agree. The weird thing is I doubt if any of the protagonists on here would ever dream of cycling up the inside of a lorry.. you can stick an army of people in the cab and rig it out with every electronic device under the sun but not one poster on here would cycle up its inside...would they ^_^

Dan B

Disengaged member
Agree. The weird thing is I doubt if any of the protagonists on here would ever dream of cycling up the inside of a lorry..
That's not weird, that's sensible. Nor would I dream of sticking my arm through a table saw, but that doesn't have to mean I don't think a guard on the machine wouldn't also be a jolly good idea

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
[QUOTE 1649511, member: 3143"]Oh dear, the same ignorant contributions punctuated by the odd common sense post.

Nice post Sub, in theory you could say that your 10yr old daughter has more common sense then most of the pople that have contributed to this thread - and you would not be wrong.[/quote]
Let's see if I guess this right!

The "common sense " posts are the one you agree with, and the "ignorant contributions" are the ones that challenge your perspective?

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1649572, member: 3143"]LOL come again, what logic? Correct me if I'm wrong but the last 'time' you banged on about some blind spot that does not exist, and then could not figure out how cyclists get killed if there is no blind spot, and needed a little help - from me - to show you the way.[/quote]
I don't think any of your posts were ever meant to be( or were actually) of any help. Instead they seemed to consist of you trying to find ways of explaining that whilst the cyclsist could be seen for X seconds the driver coudn't be expected to be able to avoid hitting them. Then you spat your dummy out...

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 1649580, member: 3143"]Really, all I read was blind spot this and blind spot that. Tried telling people that there are no blind spots[/quote]
If the driver can't be expected to steer clear of a cyclist going up his inside that he can see, it really makes no difference worth of note to anybody whether there are blind spots or not. Forget about the blind spots already.

Little yellow Brompton

If the driver can't be expected to steer clear of a cyclist going up his inside that he can see, it really makes no difference worth of note to anybody whether there are blind spots or not. Forget about the blind spots already.
I'm really at a lose as to why anyone would want to claim that the cyclist could be seen and yet still accept the "death" as just one of those things that happen. To my mind it simply makes the case for change even more.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good posts, User10571. They are the light of truth on this topic.

I must admit I've always felt a bit ambivalent about this video and taking part in it. I know there are cyclists that do stupid stuff around HGVs, and have filmed some of that myself, in real life. On the other hand, I feel desperately sad for those cyclists that HGV drivers killed through their bad driving. Dennis Putz, drunk, on the phone, and left hooking a cyclist for one example, and there are far too many other cases. Rightly or wrongly, I can't help feeling that the video to some degree excuses what is to my mind murder by lorry, and blames cyclists.

subaqua

What’s the point
If her cycle instructor didn't know not to go up the inside of an HGV, that's a pretty compelling indication right there that fixing the problem is going to be more involved than calling people stupid on the Internet

She clearly isn't, though.

oh the instructor knew, she just reminded him that cycle lanes put you in a bad place going to traffic lights. Her words not mine.

fixing the problem involves those who think its SAFE to do dangerous things such as ride up the inside of a large vehicle, having a mindset change and taking responsibility for THEIR OWN actions rather than bleating that somebody else should do something so thay can do what they like.

Little yellow Brompton

Good posts, User10571. They are the light of truth on this topic.

I must admit I've always felt a bit ambivalent about this video and taking part in it. I know there are cyclists that do stupid stuff around HGVs, and have filmed some of that myself, in real life. On the other hand, I feel desperately sad for those cyclists that HGV drivers killed through their bad driving. Dennis Putz, drunk, on the phone, and left hooking a cyclist for one example, and there are far too many other cases. Rightly or wrongly, I can't help feeling that the video to some degree excuses what is to my mind murder by lorry, and blames cyclists.
Wot E said!

Top Bottom