Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

AresTo

Regular
And you have the fitness for it?

What do you mean? Can I control it ?

vickster

Legendary Member
And you have the fitness for it?

You don’t have to be super fit to ride a roadbike :scratch: I manage ok and I’m well crocked! He’s (I’m assuming they are male) 17 so probably fairly healthy and small so presumably also pretty light, good for hills.
He doesn’t actually say he’s going to race or even join a club.
Why shouldn’t he get a bike with drop bars if that’s what he wants.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The reason I ask is that if you're not riding at racing speeds you might find a racing bike is a bit too highly geared, and quite possibly too aggressive a riding position for leisure cycling as well.

Most road bikes these days come with a 1:1 lowest gear ratio, which unless you're really unfit and riding extreme hills is a pretty low gear for a light bike with no luggage.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
@AresTo the triban will suit you just fine.
As it's a new bike you won't have the worry of a possible damaged frame/forks or worn components. Decathlon will also service it after a month for free I believe. It'll be under warranty if it develops any serious faults and the money you save over the giant will buy you some decent lights, spare inner tubes, puncture kit, pump and a saddle bag to hold all that stuff.
That bike according to the web comes in at 10.9kg which is certainly not heavy by any standard.
The triban being at the cheaper end of the market will also have more relaxed geometry which you'll be thankful for during leisure rides. You don't need racing geometry. As the bike is cheaper, parts will be cheaper to replace when they wear out/break. Something a 17 year old will appreciate.
As a first bike, it's perfect. You can go more expensive when you get older. Something I and I'm sure many others here learnt the hard way.

Jameshow

Veteran
would you recommend a second hand bike or a new bike for a beginner?

Either they seem pretty new to me with a big discount. As soon as you ride it, it becomes used!

Some people like a new bike though, how else would the rest of us get secondhand bikes!!

OP
OP
A

AresTo

Regular
Other then bike do you guys have any recommendations of helmet?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Other then bike do you guys have any recommendations of helmet?

My advise would be to try before you buy for fit/comfort, but don't spend lots of money on it - it won't make any significant difference to your safety which helmet you have. Precisely which one doesn't matter. Decathlon or Halfords probably a good bet for something cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

AresTo

Regular
I still have a little question what is the difference between gravel bike and road bike is it just heavier and with wider tyre?

vickster

Legendary Member
I still have a little question what is the difference between gravel bike and road bike is it just heavier and with wider tyre?

Potentially different geometry too, gravel more relaxed. Doesn’t have to be heavier, depends what you’re comparing!

Top Bottom