Bikebulder Di2 or Ultegra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
I am looking at a bikebuilder option for my next bike, think you get better value than a big name with less spec that most dealers sell.
Anyway my question is what would be better,couple of options are for Ultegra Di2 R8050 with Mavic Kysrium wheels or Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels,
Or the other option I am looking at is Ultegra R8000 with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels, the prices are similar only £30 difference.
I have read reviews and video on Di2 but how good is it ,is it worth it with the cheaper wheels or go for ultegra with the carbon wheels, any owners of all the above could give me an actual true review and what is better option. I am not racing or competion levels , just like going out on rides few hills just the normal, but want something a touch better as upgrade.
Open to any other options if there are better ideas ,early days so deciding what spec to build and buy in the next couple of months.
thanks for reading

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Di2.....

pclay

Veteran
Hmm, it's a tough one. Di2 is fantastic. No more adjusting gears. Press a button and you get a perfect gear shift. I also got some Mavic ksyrium pro a few months ago. That's a £600 wheelset. I can go at least 1mph faster average over 40miles with these wheels. So what do you want? Gear changes that work flawlessley, or more speed?

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Hmm, it's a tough one. Di2 is fantastic. No more adjusting gears. Press a button and you get a perfect gear shift. I also got some Mavic ksyrium pro a few months ago. That's a £600 wheelset. I can go at least 1mph faster average over 40miles with these wheels. So what do you want? Gear changes that work flawlessley, or more speed?
Yes dilemma, looking for a upgrade , so yes speed to a extent but not racing style so not essential and the gears as I’ve heard are brilliant and I could add the wheels later on if an offer came around , Merlin have good offers on wheels now and then , but to change a groupset would be dearer, still undecided.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just get both, save a bit more in the piggybank, almost always cheaper when buying as a whole than upgrading later. Do Ribble (?) negotiate on price if you speak to them

bpsmith

Veteran
PayPal Credit is also available at a number of vendors now.

NOT advocating going into debt, but it’s the same as saving for me. I just stick with what I would have saved each month, but enjoy over the Summer.

RegG

Über Member
I've just upgraded my bike to Ultegra 8050 Di2 and it is brilliant! If it is within your budget, go for the Di2. Upgraded wheels can come later and are an easier upgrade.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
From what you say about the type of riding you're doing, you'd probably get more benefit from Di2 than from fancy wheels - not in terms of performance, but in your enjoyment of the bike. Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels have 45mm rims, which might provide an aero benefit if you're a serious racer but otherwise they're just bling. Probably not any lighter or more durable than the other wheel options either. And they'll need special brake blocks.

I like Di2 and would have it on all my (geared) bikes for preference but it's not a deal-breaker for me - I'm happy enough riding a bike with the latest Tiagra, to be honest, which performs perfectly well enough for my needs. But Di2 is very nice to use. The only real downside I can think of for Di2 is that it's very expensive to repair/replace parts when it goes wrong/gets damaged (£140 for a rear mech, which I had to replace on mine) but it's generally very reliable. Charging isn't a big deal so don't let that put you off.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you get a chance to test ride them, or is it pot luck as to how well the machine rides?

Edit - don't worry, Google got the better of my curiosity.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
From what you say about the type of riding you're doing, you'd probably get more benefit from Di2 than from fancy wheels - not in terms of performance, but in your enjoyment of the bike. Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels have 45mm rims, which might provide an aero benefit if you're a serious racer but otherwise they're just bling. Probably not any lighter or more durable than the other wheel options either. And they'll need special brake blocks.

I like Di2 and would have it on all my (geared) bikes for preference but it's not a deal-breaker for me - I'm happy enough riding a bike with the latest Tiagra, to be honest, which performs perfectly well enough for my needs. But Di2 is very nice to use. The only real downside I can think of for Di2 is that it's very expensive to repair/replace parts when it goes wrong/gets damaged (£140 for a rear mech, which I had to replace on mine) but it's generally very reliable. Charging isn't a big deal so don't let that put you off.
I wish it was only 140 for a di2 rear mech:cry:

Top Bottom