Bikebulder Di2 or Ultegra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I went in to buy our kitchen outright years ago and noticed on the wall they had a 3 year interest free credit deal, so I took them up on that and left the money in the banck for contingencies.

Paypal Credit is 0% over 4 months, used that a few times (just make sure you've paid it off in full in 4 months).

I've bought all sorts on 0% for a year deals, the goods are no more expensive than without it, money's that cheap to borrow that it's in the shops interest to offer it where possible so you choose their shop rather than the one down the road.

You will have lost more in depreciation leaving the forcourt in your new car than I pay in interest on ours over 6 years..

I perfer to have a lump in the bank for emergencies personally.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I thought this was about di2 or ultegra.........were did all the martin lewis wannabes come from

Back to the OP, have you bought the di2 yet? If not, why?

bpsmith

Veteran
I thought this was about di2 or ultegra.........were did all the martin lewis wannabes come from

Perhaps the OP is interested in the advice, being as though they raised the topic within this thread?

U

User6179

Yes I could look at Kysriums also rather than Cosmics , not serious racer but want something just that bit better for improvement

I bought the Cosmics but wish I bought the Kysriums, The Cosmics are fine but they are just Aksiums with an aero rim, not that light and not really that aero.

jowwy

Perhaps the OP is interested in the advice, being as though they raised the topic within this thread?
i cant ever remember him asking for money, loan and interest advice...........but hey i have been on holiday and maybe i missed that bit

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I suspect the OP is now wishing they'd kept quiet about buying the bike on credit. I think the diversion into financial matters might be my fault for mentioning how expensive Di2 is to fix when it goes wrong...

jowwy

Tut , throwing your money away on lavish holidays and Di2 . Bloody hooray Henrys :laugh:
and sram etap :wahhey:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I am just pointing out that not all credit is bad credit and it has its place if you’re clever in how you use it and don’t go overboard.

My only complaint about saving is that those who save continually, often don’t get to enjoy their hard earned cash. I know of a number of people have have sadly passed, leaving a stack of cash that served no purpose to them. None of it being left to me btw, which I am glad about, as would have hated the fact that they never got to experience something they could have done.

I'm inclined to agree that 0% finance can be clever IF you have a pretty much guaranteed secure income where you know there is absolutely no chance of default, such as you receive a pension or investment income. Where debt can be dangerous is if your income is less secure or can vary wildly from month to month. Even though I have a very secure job, if I was off sick long term my income would reduce, and if I had a lot of debt to service, default would be a possibility. Because I only ever spend using money I have, I can always choose to stay in and not have a night out for example, whereas if I owe money on credit I can't really choose to skip a repayment. For that reason I regard debt as an outgoing like a utility bill, and consider it to reduce disposable income.
Enjoying your cash is a good point, and I think it depends a lot on your age. When you're young you should be saving hard to make yourself financially secure. Once you've got a house and all the nice cars/motorbikes/push bikes you desire plus a reserve of cash, then you don't need to save obsessively. What you never want to do though is be in the position of approaching retirement age with no assets to your name, no cash cushion, and still having a load of outstanding debt to pay off, as you'll then have to work till you drop. I want the choice to retire when I feel like it not be forced to work on to survive.

Venod

Eh up
I have never tried Di2 but a lot of people sing its praises so if you really want it I would take this option over wheels anytime, I have ridden cheap and expensive wheels and find very little difference in performance especially if your not racing, as long as they are not heavy, save some cash on the wheels and I would avoid the deep rim aero jobbies for general riding.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
I went for 45mm rims to be able to use them for general riding. They’re light enough for the hills and don’t catch the wind like 60mm rims do. Perfect all round wheels in fairness.

I think I would go with the Di2 though, in the basis that it’s an integral part of the bike, compared to wheels, from a build point of view. Never used Di2, but do like the idea of it someday. eTap would be my choice though.

jowwy

I went for 45mm rims to be able to use them for general riding. They’re light enough for the hills and don’t catch the wind like 60mm rims do. Perfect all round wheels in fairness.

I think I would go with the Di2 though, in the basis that it’s an integral part of the bike, compared to wheels, from a build point of view. Never used Di2, but do like the idea of it someday. eTap would be my choice though.
Both etap and di2 are a dream to use. Im lucking to own both and hate using mechanical on the spare mtb when it gets real wet and muddy.......

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran

No not yet , after ideas as in the post I said around 2 months so wanted some advice first. Still weighing up what to go for :wacko:

Top Bottom