Bikes, Clothing etc etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelcycle

Judging by the length of this thread quite a few people! ;)

Have seen these sorts of threads on a number of forums and it might be interesting to note that 99.99999% involve people who buy at the cheaper end calling higher end buyers millionaires rather than higher end buyers calling cheaper buyers paupers

Did you know that 90% of all statistics are made up. I read that on t'interweb.

I guess the broader point is context and you should know your audience when giving the advice. I would think the main issue for most people when deciding what to buy is price point. If you have someone and it is clear their price point is "entry" level then saying "ohhh, I have some high end stuff, it is great, you should as well..." may come across as a sneaky way of saying "I am considerably richer than yowse" rather than legitimate advice. Cue some people taking the Michael.

Of course if you added "I know it's probably a bit more than you wanted to pay but think of it as an investment and given it will last longer and perform better it is actually better for money" then things would probably be a whole lot different.

Moda

Did you know that 90% of all statistics are made up. I read that on t'interweb.
Well I made up my statistic but my gut feeling is its about right.

I recently asked about some eyewear and although I didn't explicitly state a budget I did refer to a model costing £175. There were a number of replies recommending sub £10 glasses. I at no point felt like making comments about the entry level cheapness. I was greatful for any replies.

Iguess the broader point is context and you should know your audience when giving the advice. I would think the main issue for most people when deciding what to buy is price point. If you have someone and it is clear their price point is "entry" level then saying "ohhh, I have some high end stuff, it is great, you should as well..." may come across as a sneaky way of saying "I am considerably richer than yowse" rather than legitimate advice. Cue some people taking the Michael.
In none of the threads that have been pointed out do I (personally) feel the comments have been or intended to be belittling to the OP. I found the Rapha comment useful as i'm considering the purchase of that jacket. It seems to me that there's something in my original statistic ie why the huge disparity?

Of course if you added "I know it's probably a bit more than you wanted to pay but think of it as an investment and given it will last longer and perform better it is actually better for money" then things would probably be a whole lot different.
You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i never advised the OP to buy a rapha softshell, my answer was in reply to vicksters quote on wearing a long sleeve jersey, therefore i did not need to add the above statement. Now if somebodh posted the question could you advide me on the best softshell to buy, then personally i would advise on the two that i have, as its the only ones i have tried and tested.

michaelcycle

I am sure that no one means to be belittling or show off (well, maybe sometimes a little...) but rather how you perceive what you are saying in your mind may not be how it is received by the people reading a thread or the OP. It is hard enough to convey intent and tone in RL but it is much more difficult online. What you may believe to be an innocuous statement may not come across that way. By the same token the "criticism" you receive for your actions may not be criticism at all rather than banter. I find that theory a bit more convincing than "you are all well jell".

Hence my point that two people might be saying similar things but because they are worded in a different way they are viewed differently - one negative and one positive. Its how to win friends and influence people. I'm not kidding you!!!!!!

darth vadar

Über Member
Many years ago, I entered a works golf competition for a bit of a chuckle, and the guy I was playing turned up wearing all the right gear, a full set of clubs, and a trolley.

I turned up with a seven iron and a putter.

And, guess what?

I beat him.

chriss2.0

most people have the resorses to buy decent gear. its a question of patience(saving), and quality over quantity.

i was always taught that you can buy a £20 pair of shues that last you for a month or you can buy £80 pair and last you 5 years. what actually works out cheaper?

unless ur one of those "status symbol people" than ur just buying a badge

Top Bottom