Bikes on Ferries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Thinking of taking a trip over to Isle of Man , liverpool to Douglas and return trip to Heysham . Anyone have any experience of this and any tips advice . Cheers

jay clock

Massive member
Not that one but whizzing to the front of the queue and wheeling a bike on board a ferry is possibly one of the most exciting things you can do in life

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Who runs the Isle of Man Ferries? IoM Steam Packet Co? That's what wiki says ... and quick search shows ...

https://www.steam-packet.com/FAQs#bikes

Can I take my bicycle with me?

Bicycles are carried free of charge when accompanied by a fare paying foot passenger. Passengers are advised to dismount and push their bicycles when embarking or disembarking from the vessel.

I've always had to book my bike separately on cross channel ferries though (and have in the past been refused because all the bike spaces were full).

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Take a bit of rope or a bungee with you. When I crossed from Scotland to Ireland, the fetid gritty rope they gave me was going nowhere near tying my bike to their lashing down points.
I swear they had just found it on the beach outside...

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
A long strip of inner tube to wrap around the frame, to protect it, is good for that as well.
Yeah, plus I taped a load around the rope that I took with me too.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not that one but whizzing to the front of the queue and wheeling a bike on board a ferry is possibly one of the most exciting things you can do in life
And let me assure you arriving on time, and being required to stand in a queue until I was the only one in the queue and last to board is one of the most tedious ways of passing three hours.
My only way of revenge was not to spend a penny in their cafeteria and never to set foot on their ferry again, Stromness 2000, B*******.:evil::boxing:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The ferry between Padstow and Rock (N Cornwall) across the Camel estuary has to change its landing points at low tide, particularly spring lows. These are beaches and the access on the west side is down some steep concrete steps. Take plastic bags to keep shoes from getting damp, salty (and sandy).

More generally (ferries), if in road shoes (ie with road cleats) take extreme care both down the ramp and up it, and on seaweedy slipways.

classic33

Leg End Member
Who runs the Isle of Man Ferries? IoM Steam Packet Co? That's what wiki says ... and quick search shows ...

https://www.steam-packet.com/FAQs#bikes

Can I take my bicycle with me?

Bicycles are carried free of charge when accompanied by a fare paying foot passenger. Passengers are advised to dismount and push their bicycles when embarking or disembarking from the vessel.

I've always had to book my bike separately on cross channel ferries though (and have in the past been refused because all the bike spaces were full).
Also
http://www.manxferries.com/

Top Bottom