Bikes on trains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So i have some questions about taking a normal bike on a train as:

1. If you do this do you have to reserve a space?
2. Are there any restrictions
3. what happens if your bicycle gets stolen on the train?
4. any other info?
I'm wondering as i've applied for a job which i can only get to by a train and then 35 min cycle because 2 hours would be way to long for me to cycle from my area.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It depends on which train operator you are going to be using.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As @Supersuperleeds says, it depends which train operator run the service.

Up here in Gods Own County, Northern officially have a "two bikes per train" rule but with no pre-booking, it's technically first come first served.
I've never seen anyone turned away though, but it could happen. Regularly on my journey to work there will be 3 or 4 bikes on the train and no-one seems phased.

Trans Pennine Express have a two bikes pre-booked rule, but we got 4 on a train back from Scarborough after one of @nickyboy 's legendary rides with no trouble - just a polite request with sensible stowing and the guard was fine. Then another cyclist got on at the next stop making 5 bikes on the train. The only problem is that TPX will then reserve you a seat at the opposite end of the train meaning you can't see your bike...

Virgin East Coast and Cross Country are apparently a lot more pedantic about it, with compulsory booking. Virgin make you lock the bike in a compartment that only train crew have access to (so hope they remember at your stop!)

Edit to add: you need to keep an eye on your bike throughout - if it gets stolen the train company won't be interested. Check first as some have rules that forbid you locking the bike on the train.
If I take my bike on a train I normally either stay with it, unless I can get a seat where it's in direct line of sight and close enough to react if anything happens.

robjh

Legendary Member
Go to the National Rail enquiries site.
Look up a train journey that you are interested in.

When it displays the timetable, click on details
upload_2018-2-20_19-53-6.png

The next page will have a cycle icon. Click on it, eg.
upload_2018-2-20_19-56-8.png

This will then give you the bike conditions for the train company operating that service.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

It depends on which train operator you are going to be using.

As @Supersuperleeds says, it depends which train operator run the service.

Up here in Gods Own County, Northern officially have a "two bikes per train" rule but with no pre-booking, it's technically first come first served.
I've never seen anyone turned away though, but it could happen. Regularly on my journey to work there will be 3 or 4 bikes on the train and no-one seems phased.

Trans Pennine Express have a two bikes pre-booked rule, but we got 4 on a train back from Scarborough after one of @nickyboy 's legendary rides with no trouble - just a polite request with sensible stowing and the guard was fine. Then another cyclist got on at the next stop making 5 bikes on the train. The only problem is that TPX will then reserve you a seat at the opposite end of the train meaning you can't see your bike...

Virgin East Coast and Cross Country are apparently a lot more pedantic about it, with compulsory booking. Virgin make you lock the bike in a compartment that only train crew have access to (so hope they remember at your stop!)

Edit to add: you need to keep an eye on your bike throughout - if it gets stolen the train company won't be interested. Check first as some have rules that forbid you locking the bike on the train.
If I take my bike on a train I normally either stay with it, unless I can get a seat where it's in direct line of sight and close enough to react if anything happens.
1. It varies by service. :sad:
2. It varies by route. :sad:
3. You report it to the British Transport Police, otherwise situation normal. :sad:
4. http://www.atob.org.uk/rail-ferry-zone/ :smile:

Thanks guys i live in berkshire. So most of the trains are GWR (Great western railway) although seen a couple of cross country and that's all i've seen.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Go to the National Rail enquiries site.

View attachment 396732

View attachment 396736
This will then give you the bike conditions for the train company operating that service.

View attachment 396732

View attachment 396736
This will then give you the bike conditions for the train company operating that service.[/QUOTE]
Thanks that's helpful.

snorri

Legendary Member
There may be secure overnight cycle parking at or near the rail terminal at the work end of your journey, this might cost a little but could save you worries re. getting a bike on the train.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thanks guys i live in berkshire. So most of the trains are GWR (Great western railway) although seen a couple of cross country and that's all i've seen.

https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/on-board/cycles :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
To avoid bike getting stolen, stay with the bike or lock it to a solid part of the train with a d lock, ensuring its not blocking anything

Everything else covered

Anywhere around London on a potential commuter route, you'll be unwelcome before 9.30 or after 4pm on a weekday

If travelling at weekends, check no works anywhere which might mean the train is replaced by a bus...in which case you'll be riding to your destination

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
My daughter loves Thomas the Tank Engine and some of his friends came to Sodor from the GWR! :wub: Sorry, train geek here. We don't have commuter trains where I live.

Dommo

Veteran
Anywhere around London on a potential commuter route, you'll be unwelcome before 9.30 or after 4pm on a weekday

This isn't *always* true. If you're going against the general flow or even with it, but on a less cramped train, you can be fine. I've been doing a trip on GWR commuter trains into and out of Paddington for the past year with various non-folding bikes and as long as I pick certain trains, I've been fine, even at rush hour times. For example, a train that stops more and is slightly slower will be shunned by the majority of people, leaving all of it's 8 shiny, new carriages free for my perusal. I find that once you've done the commute a few times, you know which trains to get, which route to take through the station to avoid the worst crowds and where to stand without getting in the way when waiting for a train. I've not had an angry word all year from another commuter!

Reactions: mjr

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This isn't *always* true. If you're going against the general flow or even with it, but on a less cramped train, you can be fine. I've been doing a trip on GWR commuter trains into and out of Paddington for the past year with various non-folding bikes and as long as I pick certain trains, I've been fine, even at rush hour times. For example, a train that stops more and is slightly slower will be shunned by the majority of people, leaving all of it's 8 shiny, new carriages free for my perusal. I find that once you've done the commute a few times, you know which trains to get, which route to take through the station to avoid the worst crowds and where to stand without getting in the way when waiting for a train. I've not had an angry word all year from another commuter!
I have found this to be the same with South Eastern. When I moved to the wilds of Kent I bought a Brompton to go with the train journey. I found that certain rush hour trains on my route are never hugely busy in both directions. Seeing as I dislike the Brompton I am now taking my normal bike on the trains Monday to Thursday and the Brompton on a Friday. I did ask the guard if it was ok with the big bike and he said officially no, but as long as it's not too busy or causing an obstruction then they don't mind. And that has proven to be the case so far.
However, there is a caveat to that. When the trains are borked for what ever reason and over crowding does occur then you have to either wait or cycle the journey and for me that would be 29 miles.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I’ve been looking on website is says the time bikes aren’t allowed are

Arriving from R at 7.45-9.45
(This doesn’t affect me) as I’m not arriving at that time I’m leaving at 9.12 not arriving

Leaving from R 16;30-19.00
(This doesn’t affect me) as I would be leaving from a different train station.

The thing is don’t get is I want to book my tickets in advance but once I click next is says reservations are not possible. Although it said between that line to book a reservation and if Said online, calling or at ticket office. So does this mean you have to reserve because it’s not very clear

ukoldschool

seems pretty clear to me, ie you officially cant take a full size bike in peak times (as is the case on most trains)...

trains.JPG

Get a Brompton, then no issues :smile:

Top Bottom