Billions of air pollution particles found in the hearts of city dwellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, the same Guardian that just a few weeks ago published a sycophantic review of the bloated Audi Q7.

keithmac

Guru
They said the other day that particulates from brakes/ tyres and wearing down of the road surfaces outweighed the particulates from vehicle emissions.

So they've basically written off the car industry on a whim when they demonized the diesel engine.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although it's the nitrous oxides, more so than the particulates, that have landed the diseasel in the bad books. It's exposure to these which are killing children with respiratory illness, and reducing life expectancy.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Although it's the nitrous oxides, more so than the particulates, that have landed the diseasel in the bad books. It's exposure to these which are killing children with respiratory illness, and reducing life expectancy.
Something doesn't sound right here. Every body agrees that life expectancy is going up, more old people than ever in human history , the same people who breathe all that polluted air. Strange!

Drago

Legendary Member
Something doesn't sound right here. Every body agrees that life expectancy is going up, more old people than ever in human history , the same people who breathe all that polluted air. Strange!

Except that life expectancy is no longer rising in the UK. It has stalled over the last few years

Nothing has changed with regard to diesels and particulates and NO2 but now there's further evidence that particles from things like catalytic converters, brakes etc have an even more insidious effect on the human body. Links have already been established between air pollution and things like asthma, life expectancy has dropped, cancers are rising, you'd have to be particularly stupid not to be concerned by this even though they've yet to investigate and prove a link between these particles and disease.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Nothing has changed with regard to diesels and particulates and NO2 but now there's further evidence that particles from things like catalytic converters, brakes etc have an even more insidious effect on the human body. Links have already been established between air pollution and things like asthma, life expectancy has dropped, cancers are rising, you'd have to be particularly stupid not to be concerned by this even though they've yet to investigate and prove a link between these particles and disease.
I never said I was not concerned that I think that the food that we eat has also a lot to do with it, especially fast food that kids love so much and parents encourage them to have "as a treat".

I never said I was not concerned that I think that the food that we eat has also a lot to do with it, especially fast food that kids love so much and parents encourage them to have "as a treat".
I would agree. There's more evidence to show that being overweight puts you at greater risk of things like cancer, type2 diabetes has been known about for some time and is already putting a huge strain on the NHS.

The only thing we can do is tackle these things one at a time as they are discovered. Did you watch the programme on BSE the other night and the absolutely breathtaking denials of government and industry that there was any risk or they bore any responsibility for it until the evidence was undeniable. The patterns are always the same with these things, deny, where's the proof, re-assure the public there's no evidence and then switch track when people start dying and the evidence is undeniable.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Even though cyclists don't produce exhaust gases, could they inhale more of them than a car driver who breathes air via the vehicles Pollen Filter? Ie. are we the ones working to lower emissions but suffering more than the people who produce them?

Even though cyclists don't produce exhaust gases, could they inhale more of them than a car driver who breathes air via the vehicles Pollen Filter? Ie. are we the ones working to lower emissions but suffering more than the people who produce them?
I don’t doubt this, I think we are all breathing this in, maybe proximity to exhausts does increase the toxicity, the thing is, for me, i. Going to die anyway, whether or not I cycle, so I just enjoy it whilst I can.

Top Bottom