Bird Zero AM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
hmmmm getting an odd creek every now and again.... cant pin it down, does it when pedaling or free wheeling, rough or smooth........ no logic behind it.

AlanKiley

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at a bird zero and am struggling between the AM and the TR. How aggressive do you find the geometry of the AM?

I previously rode an Evil Sovereign, which was great fun on the downs but not so great pedalling up. This is why i'm considering the TR.

Lastly... What size did you go for, what height are you and how is the fit?

Many thanks,
Al

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
Hello,
i cant really comment on how aggressive the geometry is as its what i call the 1st serious MTB ive had, i had a cheap Saracen 29er before.

basically its great on the downhills and only let down by me on the hills :sad:

im 6' 2" and have the large frame.

perhaps have a day off work and pop down and try them out?

got mine messy again today ^_^
WP_20160508_13_43_16_Pro.jpg

AlanKiley

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the photo, looks like you've gone for pretty much the same build as I'm looking at!

Good to hear the sizing is right for you at 6'2". I'm 6'1" and was worried I'd need an XL.

How do you find the X Fusion fork? All the reviews I've read have been positive and the price difference to the Pike is considerable!

Really appreciate your offer of a test ride, but doubt I'd make it down anytime soon though.

Thanks,
Al

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the photo, looks like you've gone for pretty much the same build as I'm looking at!

Good to hear the sizing is right for you at 6'2". I'm 6'1" and was worried I'd need an XL.

How do you find the X Fusion fork? All the reviews I've read have been positive and the price difference to the Pike is considerable!

Really appreciate your offer of a test ride, but doubt I'd make it down anytime soon though.

Thanks,
Al
X fusion sweep is fine I think, but I'm used to cheaper forks with 3 settings..... I'll be honest and say that I'm not sure exactly how they should be set up.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'm interested in getting one of the TRs....

I just want a hardtail with modern geometry and preferably one you don't see every day! I also like Ragley's Piglet and Commencals.

Whyte's 901 seems highly thought of but they're fairly common...

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
stanton?

Ciar

Veteran
That's a tasty looking bike mate, i ended up buying a merida one twneyt 800 as i got a great deal from my local LBS, but i also replaced my commuter for a Cannondale Bad Boy III which has an identical paint job to yours :smile: i even bought two top caps for both bikes, great minds an all that!

Motozulu

Über Member
Late to the party as usual ^_^

I've got the Zero 1, so can't comment on the AM or TR, but I'm sure the geom. is the same. It's a really good climber and can handle any 'downs' I chuck at it. As for the Sweeps? every bit as good as my Pikes - just lacking the levelk of adgustment on the Pikes is all - but tbh - it doesn't make a lot of difference to me.

Motozulu

Über Member
I'm interested in getting one of the TRs....

I just want a hardtail with modern geometry and preferably one you don't see every day! I also like Ragley's Piglet and Commencals.

Whyte's 901 seems highly thought of but they're fairly common...

I ride Cannock all the time (I live 2 miles from the trail head) and in the 12 months I've had the Bird - I've seen one other, at one of the busiest TC's in the country. It is nice to have summat a bit different from the crowds - but it's not just about being different. I'd rate the Bird as one of the best HT's out there...

ajrr1

I visited Bird at their workshop yesterday for a test ride on a TR. Pretty cool to be able to chat with the guys who designed the bikes!
Some sod had turned up (having booked the AM for a ride) and taken the TR out instead, so I ended up testing the AM.
There are some good woods right on their doorstop so if you get lucky (and lost like I did) you don't even need to head over to Swinley.

Feedback on the AM: Sizing felt natural for me immediately (I rode a medium, I'm 5'10 1/2). Bike just feels amazingly planted on all surfaces and really pushed me to take things a bit faster than I would on my current bike. I loved it.

The TR in medium wasn't back in time for me to try, so I tried the large (I'm on the cusp anyway). It felt better going uphill than the AM but it felt a little less quick and nimble in the tight stuff. Some of that is no doubt because I was riding a large, but also because of the longer top tube and chainstays.

I spoke to them in some depth about the two bikes and they said (i'm paraphrasing so I hope I get it right!) that the AM is probably better for trail centre riding (Swinley etc) or if you go to the welsh trails (Coed-y-Brenin etc), but the TR will be a faster bike if you mix in more cross country or climbing (less likely for rear wheel to slip due to longer chainstays).

At the end of the day, I loved both bikes and would be happy to buy either. My heart said the AM, but my head said the TR since I will use it for a commuter bike during the week. Anyway, just placed an order for a TR (with a spec much higher than I dare tell my Mrs). Not due for delivery until beginning of August because I'm quite particular on the spec. It will be a long wait.

For info, I currently ride an old Azonic DS1 (possibly a spiritual predessescor of the AM). I recently rode a Whyte 901 which felt quite close to the TR, but I preferred the TR.
Don't discount the Pinnacle Iroko 3 if you are on a budget though... it's a bit shorter and geometry more old school, but has some similiarities, is stupidly light and you can get it for a grand with online voucher codes and £250 off for trade in (buy a kids bike for £1 from the tip and take it along!).

Alex

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Top Bottom