Birdy IV or Brompton MK5 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
And it folds ...:hyper::notworthy:

14191918_1268184926546061_3397956234692868173_n.jpg

14102365_1268185049879382_8420495825501881370_n.jpg

14184460_1268184989879388_8797859686786636396_n.jpg

14202602_1268185026546051_1074390562662560787_n.jpg

steve50

Disenchanted Member
That front suspension and frame layout looks complicated.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I notice the lack of a photo of the folded package from the side, to show how neatly (not) it folds.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
That front suspension and frame layout looks complicated.
It's dead easy and makes for a supremely comfortable ride. My current Birdy is 14 and the best riding folder I've ever owned, Including my Brompton.

@srw. I would suggest now Birdy have gone for the curved and hinged top tube that the folded package will be quite similar, not as small obviously. The older style frame with the intact top tube and fold under front wheel was slightly longer not that much larger than the Brompton. And better than the Dahon as it all interlocks without magnets

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Actually, didn't the Birdy fold once involve the front suspension releasing to tuck the wheel away, or am I getting mixed up? If you don't have to do anything to the fork it doesn't matter how fiddly it looks.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Actually, didn't the Birdy fold once involve the front suspension releasing to tuck the wheel away, or am I getting mixed up? If you don't have to do anything to the fork it doesn't matter how fiddly it looks.

Yes you're spot on, the top tube was a single piece, the up and under front wheel was how the folded package remained so small.

The spring unclips at the frame end and the whole front piece pivots down and under the bottom of the conventional looking straight down fork piece.

The niggle is routing the brake cable through the fork pieces and around that pivot point, it makes threading a new cable or outer a bit fiddly. You have to keep one or the other as a guide for the new one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bikegang

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
I notice the lack of a photo of the folded package from the side, to show how neatly (not) it folds.

It should be OK since there is still 1 hinge on main frame, so smaller fold than Birdy. But much wider fold than Brompton as you can tell from the photo.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
It looks good.

Certainly more stylish (IMHOOC) than a standard Brompton and better looking than the older Birdy.

I would say the only bad thing is that because they fold it the other way to Brompton your drive train is exposed when folded.

This could cause problems on packed trains with people getting their nice work clothes dirty or when (if) it goes in a car.

Last edited:

srw

It should be OK since there is still 1 hinge on main frame, so smaller fold than Birdy. But much wider fold than Brompton as you can tell from the photo.
Which is a big problem. The Brompton package is neatly designed so that you can comfortably lift it with one hand and walk with it. I'd be worried about barking my shins on those handlebars - either that or I'd need to hold it so far away from my body as to be very awkward.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Which is a big problem. The Brompton package is neatly designed so that you can comfortably lift it with one hand and walk with it. I'd be worried about barking my shins on those handlebars - either that or I'd need to hold it so far away from my body as to be very awkward.
^This

And I remain unconvinced that a QR for the bars, especially cow horn style bars, where considerable leverage will be exerted on that QR, is a great idea.

So in short, too wide, drivetrain in wrong place relative to fold, or vice versa, and questionable safety when honking...

srw

And I remain unconvinced that a QR for the bars, especially cow horn style bars, where considerable leverage will be exerted on that QR, is a great idea.
Ouch. I didn't spot that. I had a Dahon for a while, and among its many flaws was the fact that there was a QR on the handlebars, which made it extremely difficult to get the handlebar adjustment right. And that was a QR that wasn't essential to the fold, so I could just tighten it up fully and then leave it alone.

A QR attaching the bars to the stem? That's asking for disaster.

Top Bottom