Birmingham cyclist muggings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Birmingham is no better or worse than any other city . it's all about obeying the rules about you're safety. Certain areas are no go for most people. Areas like Alum Rock, Sparkhill, Sparkbrook, lozells, handsworth parts of Edgbaston and other areas. It also depends on how you act and react to places and people. Perspective is the key here. Even the city centre can present problems, just like any other town or city.

Birmingham can be a nice place to visit. I lived there for 45 years. However in the latter years I lived there, more and more brummies were becoming disillusioned about the areas where they lived, and the people who lived there, and how they're areas seemed to be going downhill. But as I said, obeying simple rules can make all the differance.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Brummies tend to be disillusioned. I think it is a permanent state of being.

welsh dragon

Not just one thing, but lots of things. Engineering companies shutting down, the car industry disappearing, houses in old areas being torn down, and communities being displaced. Unemployment, immigration to and from the city, lack of money being spent in areas. Community centres and youth clubs being disbanded, and of course generally people being to busy to busy to talk to one another. You name it its happened, just like every city.

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439377, member: 45"]There's a reason people don't feel safe in areas like Alum Rock and Sparkhill. And it has nothing to do with risk.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever live in Alum Rock, or sparkbrook?

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439396, member: 45"]Worked in Alum Rock and Ward End. Family in Ward End. Sister lived in Sparkhill for years.[/QUOTE]

Working in Alum rock and living there are 2 totally different things. I lived in those areas for 30 years and saw the changes taking place every day.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Not just one thing, but lots of things. Engineering companies shutting down, the car industry disappearing, houses in old areas being torn down, and communities being displaced. Unemployment, immigration to and from the city, lack of money being spent in areas. Community centres and youth clubs being disbanded, and of course generally people being to busy to busy to talk to one another. You name it its happened, just like every city.

ELEPHANT IN ROOM.jpg

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439432, membis r: 45"]Yeah, it's certainly changed. My grandad was born in Alum Rock. My mom grew up there. It's not become a no-go area.

As I said, it's not about risk.[/QUOTE]
Obeying the rules of the game as I said Is what's needed. People in brum can be some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Some though aren't. Sadly.

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439440, member: 45"]What rules?[/QUOTE]

About your own safety. Dont do stupid things. Especially at night. Stay in groups, stay away from alleys if possible. Dont flash your money, or jewellery, if youre a woman don't leave your handbag . Make sure its closed. They usual things.

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439461, member: 45"]Oh OK. How is that any different whichever part of any UK City you're in?[/QUOTE]

No. Of course not. As I said further up, birmingham is no better or worse than anywhere else, or any other city in the UK. :thumbsup:

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439480, member: 45"]OK. Thanks. So why do you think that the areas you listed are no-go areas?[/QUOTE]

Ive seen it for myself. The hostility. Fewer and fewer people entering those areas, when those areas are in the nwws more and more for all the wrong reasons, when even the police won't enter certain areas. Not nice.

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439490, member: 45"]Funnily enough the last time I spent an evening working in one of those areas I was with the police. They didn't seem too concerned, while the Asian women brought us all food and drink.

You're right, fewer people are entering those areas. But not because of any risk.[/QUOTE]

I daresay if your being accompanied by police you won't be concerned for youre safety. Not everyone is though. ^_^

Top Bottom