Birmingham cyclist muggings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
[QUOTE 3439521, member: 45"]Yeah, and all you've said to put meat on your experience is that you've just seen some hostility. What form did this take? How much experience? Where are the press reports that quantify your opinion?[/QUOTE]

My experience comes from living there, probably for longer than you have lived. Living in an area, or just visiting are very different things, and I daresay the type of job you do may also have a bearing on your beliefs.

And I have no intention of getting into an arguement with anyone. This is the cafe, not social whatever it is. My orignal point is as said, brum is no better or worse than anywhere else where crime is concerned. Ive known some great people, the salt of the earth, and ive known some that should remain anonymous. And I dont think I said it is a dangerous place, just that caution should be uppermost in some areas.

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439536, member: 45"]You said more than that. You've said that these Asian communities are no-go areas but given no, anecdotes, examples, statistics or reports to illustrate other than saying that you've seen some hostility. Without explaining what that means.[/QUOTE]

Did I say asian. There are plenty of irish people who live in those communities as well. And before you say I must think that the irish who, live there must be tinkers, I am of Irish stock. Im the first generation of my family to be born outside Ireland. And as I said, I lived in those areas. If i had said they were no go areas, I would hardly have lived there would I.

welsh dragon

As for saying they are no go areas, I meant as in very few people go there accept the people who live there, because there is nothing for people from other parts
of the city to go there for.

welsh dragon

[QUOTE 3439562, member: 45"]You said that people are disillusioned with the people in those areas and that there is hostility. Now you're saying that they're no-go areas because there is nothing there for some. That's very different.[/QUOTE]

People are disillusioned with the area, and yes there is hostility. I LIVED THERE. I don't need to justify what I said about the community I lived in and you merely worked or work in. Enjoy your arguement.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Geez you two, just get a room will you.
As someone who currently lives and cycles here, I can tell you I haven't felt threatened riding in most areas of Brum during the daytime, but I would not ride through them at night. Most people are decent enough, but large amounts of the younger generations from all ethnicities have a very violent outlook towards others and you will often get hassled by groups if on your own in many areas. On the whole it's not a bad place to live, and certainly could be better. I shall be moving out of Brum next yr, simply because i'm a bit tired of the crowded nature of this city. Anyone who's been to the Bullring and german market in the leadup to xmas will know exactly what I mean.

As for saying they are no go areas, I meant as in very few people go there accept the people who live there, because there is nothing for people from other parts
of the city to go there for.
Just gawd knows how come across this thread.

That i must say is the most curious attempted definition of that term i have ever heard.

Virginia Water could be a no go area.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3439582, member: 45"]You said to very different things, and I was just trying to clarify which one you meant. Because my experience in those predominantly Asian communities differs wildly from whichever of the two you mean.

They're not disillusioned because of risk. Mainly, they're disillusioned because what were once predominantly white areas are now predominantly Asian areas. It's a shame, because by avoiding those areas because of they're missing out big time.

If anyone wants a fantastic illustration of this loss, go to Handsworth during Vaisakhi.[/QUOTE]

You'd sound more convincing if you lived anywhere near the places you seem to think are safe to walk(and cycle) through.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
mugging.jpg
Where does one buy these magical lights?

They're called Shitelites and are sold exclusively at Poundland, the mecca of the discerning shopper.
Built to exacting standards and imported from Patagonia, the Shitelite is a cycle lamp that runs on cheap and readily available blocks of dried Llama droppings which, when ignited by a micro stick of gelignite in the combustion chamber, gives out a claimed 2000 candlepower beam of light.An added bonus is that the burnt noxious gases escaping from a nozzle at the rear of the lamp assembly can, allegedly, propel a bicycle up to speeds in excess of 100 kph.
Weighing only 12 kilos and as compact as a family sized refrigerator, the Shitelite is IMO the ideal Xmas gift for for all safety conscious cyclists.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3440389, member: 45"]I'm 43. Work that out. If you want.

It doesn't change the fact that areas like Sparkhill and Alum Rock (which by some wild coincidence have a predominantly Asian community) are not, not even today, dangerous no-go areas where people are at any more risk walking or cycling through than they would be in, for example, Northfield, Weoley Castle or St Georges. That last one is in Bristol, just for comparison.[/QUOTE]

You'd still sound more convincing if you lived in these "crime free" areas instead of Somerset.

Top Bottom