Birthday Bike - Pashley? Gazelle? Something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I had a Pashley Britannia but sold it and deeply regret doing so, to the point where I ordered another, the Aurora, which I love, but the men’s equivalent is a little above your price range. Get the Briton, because I said so.

Why do you suggest the Briton over the Roadster Sovereign out of interest? I would be torn between the two.nif the sovereign was available in the red then it would be an easier decision.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I'm not too worried about the weight really.

The Briton i would want to add a rack and lock

The sovereign I would probably swap the saddle.

I have been some nice reviews of the Gazelle Tour Popliar. I just wish I could test ride them all.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Finally my 3rd bike is a 1974 Raleigh Wayfarer which probably gives me a similar riding experience to ones I am looking at.
The idea would be for it to be used running around town, chilled out afternoon rides and riding up to the office if I need to go there (only 1.5 miles away).

OK, so you already have a Raleigh Wayfarer and like the way it rides. Don't start laughing now, but let me say this; a Wayfarer, by 3-speed roadster standards, is actually quite a sporty bike!. The weight, give or take, is 35 lbs and they are built on the Raleigh Sports frame which has quite nimble handling. They're no racers but they aren't tanks either.

The kind of traditional roadsters you are contemplating, sometimes referred to as "Dutch bikes" are usually quite a bit heavier, have bigger wheels, longer wheelbases and slacker, more ponderous geometry. Comfort-wise in a straight line - great. Handling on twists & turns and the amount of effort required to get one up a gradient - not so good.

I would think very hard before buying something like a Pashley or Gazelle with 28" wheels. They look nice and traditional, but they are best suited to flat terrain, as they lack the very low gears of a triple-equipped hybrid or MTB that takes the pain out of getting a heavy bike up an incline.

I've given quite a bit of thought as to what I would like from a 3-speed and for me it comes down to practicality and low maintenance but without excessive weight. The problem is, the lightweight end of the 3-speed market has pretty much become extinct. What's left is the heavy end. My intention is to build a lightweight 3-speed from a 1980's 531 tourer frame I have and fit as many alloy components as possible. That should give me the practical qualities I want but still be fairly sprightly. I can't buy such a bike new any more though, so my only option is to build one DIY.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
OK, so you already have a Raleigh Wayfarer and like the way it rides. Don't start laughing now, but let me say this; a Wayfarer, by 3-speed roadster standards, is actually quite a sporty bike!. The weight, give or take, is 35 lbs and they are built on the Raleigh Sports frame which has quite nimble handling. They're no racers but they aren't tanks either.

The kind of traditional roadsters you are contemplating, sometimes referred to as "Dutch bikes" are usually quite a bit heavier, have bigger wheels, longer wheelbases and slacker, more ponderous geometry. Comfort-wise in a straight line - great. Handling on twists & turns and the amount of effort required to get one up a gradient - not so good.

I would think very hard before buying something like a Pashley or Gazelle with 28" wheels. They look nice and traditional, but they are best suited to flat terrain, as they lack the very low gears of a triple-equipped hybrid or MTB that takes the pain out of getting a heavy bike up an incline.

I've given quite a bit of thought as to what I would like from a 3-speed and for me it comes down to practicality and low maintenance but without excessive weight. The problem is, the lightweight end of the 3-speed market has pretty much become extinct. What's left is the heavy end. My intention is to build a lightweight 3-speed from a 1980's 531 tourer frame I have and fit as many alloy components as possible. That should give me the practical qualities I want but still be fairly sprightly. I can't buy such a bike new any more though, so my only option is to build one DIY.

Thank you for the response, it all makes sense.

I think the issue is I want something that I will still have in 40 years time and it will still perform just the same. A bit like a Swiss watch.

I appreciate my Wayfarer is not a heavy bike comparatively and it's probably as fast on the flat as my modernish hybrid, although it takes a little more ramp up time.

Where I live is not pancake flat so I appreciate what your saying about the weight. I could really do with being able to ride some of the bikes, but lack of stock everywhere is making this troublesome.

I am also seriously considering some of the more modern Gazelles . I suppose I could always buy a used Pashley / Gazelle and get something more modern for my birthday, that way if it is not suitable it would not be a £800 ornament. Then get a more new modern commuter as a present.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think the issue is I want something that I will still have in 40 years time and it will still perform just the same. A bit like a Swiss watch.

I appreciate my Wayfarer is not a heavy bike comparatively and it's probably as fast on the flat as my modernish hybrid, although it takes a little more ramp up time.

Where I live is not pancake flat so I appreciate what your saying about the weight.

Your existing 3 speed will still work perfectly in another 40 years time if you look after it. No modern build roadster will be any better or more durable than a Nottingham-built Raleigh. They were the benchmark standard in 3-speeds for decades.
I've got one the same age as yours, although mine isn't a Wayfarer it shares the same frame design. It will probably outlast me and it isn't pampered.

I'm not sure if the Wayfarers came with a rack (something in my head tells me they didn't), but if you do have a rack then put a pair of panniers on it and load it with a stone of ballast. Something benign that won't slosh around and feel odd. If you can still get on with the Wayfarer at a running weight getting close to 50 lbs, then you would probably find a Pashley or Gazelle OK to live with. If that extra weight causes the bike to become a real handful and a slog to get around on, my advice would be give the heavy 3-speed genre a miss and stick with a relatively light 3-speed sports roadster like the Wayfarer.

All uphill

Still rolling along

A couple of years ago I spent a weekend in the Netherlands riding an old (1970s) lightweight 3 speed Gazelle. It was a joy! One of those bikes that just felt right and didnt distract me from the things I was looking at.

One day I will bring cycle one back from NL to be my perfect everyday run-around.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wasn't aware Gazelles also came in "Sports" versions. All the ones I've seen have been in the heavy roadster category, bolted-in seatstay jobs with really slack frame angles.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Were they 26" wheel, or 700's or old-school 28"?
I'm going to mate an AW hub 700c wheel I have with a full 531ST touring frame and see how that turns out. Hopefully can keep it to around 30lbs with guards and rack, and without derailleur chain frictional losses, it should be quite mechanically efficient as well as silent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Your existing 3 speed will still work perfectly in another 40 years time if you look after it. No modern build roadster will be any better or more durable than a Nottingham-built Raleigh. They were the benchmark standard in 3-speeds for decades.
I've got one the same age as yours, although mine isn't a Wayfarer it shares the same frame design. It will probably outlast me and it isn't pampered.

I'm not sure if the Wayfarers came with a rack (something in my head tells me they didn't), but if you do have a rack then put a pair of panniers on it and load it with a stone of ballast. Something benign that won't slosh around and feel odd. If you can still get on with the Wayfarer at a running weight getting close to 50 lbs, then you would probably find a Pashley or Gazelle OK to live with. If that extra weight causes the bike to become a real handful and a slog to get around on, my advice would be give the heavy 3-speed genre a miss and stick with a relatively light 3-speed sports roadster like the Wayfarer.

I do have a rack on my Wayfarer so could give it a go. Might even stick my little boy and his seat on there. Although mine is currently sporting a 4 speed hub.

I suppose my, possibly deluded, idea was born from watching Velocipedium on YouTube and watching how he cruises around on his three speeds.

I am not one to buy expensive things very often but I got a nice watch for my 30th and wanted something as timeless for my 40th. My main hobby is amateur radio which these days does not lend it self to buying something that will last you 40 years ( despite my main radio being the same age as me, they don't make them like the used to). But a decent steel bike will probably outlive me if it's not left in the damp to rust.

Back to the drawing board maybe.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
A couple of years ago I spent a weekend in the Netherlands riding an old (1970s) lightweight 3 speed Gazelle. It was a joy! One of those bikes that just felt right and didnt distract me from the things I was looking at.

One day I will bring cycle one back from NL to be my perfect everyday run-around.
I wasn't aware Gazelles also came in "Sports" versions. All the ones I've seen have been in the heavy roadster category, bolted-in seatstay jobs with really slack frame angles.

The Gazelle Van Stael seems to meet the lightweight sporty description, 15kg but caliper brakes.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-gb/models/van-stael

Top Bottom