Bit close for my liking...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alvintc

Veteran
OK guys,

I'm not normally a complainer but wondered if anyone thought reporting this is worthwhile? Scared the crap out of me in all honesty!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you felt scared enough and feel bad enough about it to post a vid - then report it.

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
Happened this morning so I've filled in an online report. Was really looking for 2nd opinions as I wasn't sure after my recent off if my perceptions are out!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Definitely report it. That was dangerously close.
IMO it was a deliberate "punishment pass" given the opposite lane was completely empty.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That van driver should be sent for re-education. The Honda showed him how it should be done. Definitely a reckless punishment pass.

matiz

Guru
He was probably on his phone and didnt see you I would report him

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Report it, but don't expect Operation Crackdown do anything more than send an advisory letter.

Even so, I still think it's worth reporting as no one wants to receive a letter from the police and they may end up changing their behaviour. I report all close passes where I can clearly identify the registration number and they have nearly always sent letters to the owner of the vehicle.

In an ideal world, evidence like this would be used to fine the driver as the only real deterrent is a financial one.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Interestingly, when submitting reports without footage, occasionally you will be copied in on a counter letter explaining their version of events.

As a result, even if I do have footage, I sometimes submit reports without mentioning the footage, which I would gladly show after the counter letter.

Report it, but don't expect Operation Crackdown do anything more than send an advisory letter.

Even so, I still think it's worth reporting as no one wants to receive a letter from the police and they may end up changing their behaviour. I report all close passes where I can clearly identify the registration number and they have nearly always sent letters to the owner of the vehicle.

In an ideal world, evidence like this would be used to fine the driver as the only real deterrent is a financial one.

I've seen similar driving get three points and a sixty quid fine.

ETA:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nItD1nY9btQ

Reported this to Surrey Police. Driver prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. £70 fine and 3 penalty points.

Last edited:
Top Bottom