Bit of video from Sunday's London Ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In hindsight, looking at the left hand bend in the road, I should have taken a more primary position. And as you can see from the vid I let the driver know that I wasn't happy at his close pass.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It was interesting watching your strategies on the road, and my own, and how they differ a little from what I'd do on the recumbent. It's much easier to own road space on the recumbent, simply because that puts you much higher up the size/intimidation food chain.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As you can also see from the vid, I do not use those silly little cycle lanes. A complete waste of time. How wide are they? A foot at most?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thinking more about that vid. It reminds me of a conversation I had with TTCycle yesterday during the ride. Said she noticed that I usually hold a primary position behind waiting cars at lights rather then filtering. More often then not this is true.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ianrauk said:
Thinking more about that vid. It reminds me of a conversation I had with TTCycle yesterday during the ride. Said she noticed that I usually hold a primary position behind waiting cars at lights rather then filtering. More often then not this is true.

It gives the appearance that your filter to the front, and subsequent moving right in front the cars, may have got a driver a bit stressed. Looks like they set off from the lights in full, must get around cyclist, mode. But it's exactly how I do it if I filter. Biggest chance of me wobbling is when setting off and I'd rather discourage a close pass at that point in time. Plus it's perfectly correct practice but I do note that it can really bug some drivers.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
ianrauk said:

Funnily enough I thought that you went to the front much more than I would, at least in the first part of the ride until we met up with tollers and ttcycle. Not that there's anything wrong with going to the front, that's why there are ASLs, and why we're on two wheels after all.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I do like your positioning when taking the ASL though ian, getting infront of the car to stop them from squeezing past as you start off. not enough people take advantage of the width of ASL's.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gaz said:
I do like your positioning when taking the ASL though ian, getting infront of the car to stop them from squeezing past as you start off. not enough people take advantage of the width of ASL's.

+1. I liked Ian's riding, it was very good!!

siadwell

Guru
I'd be interested to see whether the Audi came from behind you or pulled in from the other lane.

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd pulled into the left hand lane at the lights 'cos he didn't fancy getting "stuck" behind that old Toyota.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
siadwell said:
I'd be interested to see whether the Audi came from behind you or pulled in from the other lane.

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd pulled into the left hand lane at the lights 'cos he didn't fancy getting "stuck" behind that old Toyota.

I wouldn't either, but in this case he stayed in the nearside lane since before the previous set of traffic lights.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ian...I think I spotted you this morning at the junction of Bromley hill.

Were you wearing a light coloured head scarf and a flimsy top...looking really chilly?

looking at this vid you looked familiar?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not me mate.. no commute for me today.. pregnant wife baby sitting

jonny jeez said:
Ian...I think I spotted you this morning at the junction of Bromley hill.

Were you wearing a light coloured head scarf and a flimsy top...looking really chilly?

looking at this vid you looked familiar?

Top Bottom