Bit Random - Front Light Positioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Go for it. The further your eye is from the source of the light at night, the better your brain can interprete what it sees.

Hmmm.....maybe if I had a brain.

250px-M31bobo.jpg

Anyway I got a Cateye Volt300. Works for me on my commute. Mounted on handle bars. I dont think it could fit on any part of the forks tho.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Hmmm.....maybe if I had a brain.

View attachment 380034

Anyway I got a Cateye Volt300. Works for me on my commute. Mounted on handle bars. I dont think it could fit on any part of the forks tho.
Try the Brompton front bracket it'll go there above the forks.... I've just bought one and that's the plan

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I recall that, in my childhood / youth (1950's / 1960's) it was quite common to have light bracket mounted on front fork, right hand side, about a third of the way down the fork. I have not seen a light fitted in this position for many years. These were battery or dynamo power lights by the way, we had moved on from acetelyne power lamps by then ;)

presta

Guru
I recall that, in my childhood / youth (1950's / 1960's) it was quite common to have light bracket mounted on front fork, right hand side, about a third of the way down the fork. I have not seen a light fitted in this position for many years. These were battery or dynamo power lights by the way, we had moved on from acetelyne power lamps by then ;)
I used to have mine on the fork leg, but I took it off after a crash where a motorist pulled out from the left in front of me. His view of my light might have been obscured by the tyre.

This probably doesn't apply in these here modern times (and anyway, @BoldonLad started it :smile: ) but back in the late 70s I had a bike with a light on the front fork that was attached by bolts and a sharp screw that dug into the fork. At ~20mph the light bracket decided to work its way loose and swung into the wheel.
They say cycling is the closest thing to flying....

Tim Hall

I use a nice fork crown bracket from B&M like this:
1471542_1.jpg

I mount a B&M Ixon Pure on it:
1812271_1.jpg

They have a range of other brackets but the one I pictured is the one to go for. I'm not sure whether the plastic bit is Cateye compatible, but I guess you could just swap it out.

Above is ideal, but doesn't look cateye compatible. A 3D printer would come in handy for DIY manufacturing alternatives, start up costs still quite prohibative though :laugh:. Alternatively you might be able to bolt an existing mount on to it, subject to you finding one that will accept the bolt. Clip on lights are not ideal for fork mounting for this very reason.

Last edited:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Nice but there dynamos, I'm more of a blingtastic commuter/ credit card tourer so thought detachable lights were the way to go
Not sure what you mean there, but modern hub dynamo systems are fantastic – loads of light and best of all, fit-and-forget. You don't appreciate how liberating it is never to have to charge lights or worry about running out of power until you experience one.

Top Bottom