Bkool FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
I wish they would hurry up with this firmware issue, it seems TR are the ones pushing for it and Bkool taking a back seat. I don't mind not using ERG but it seems daft to have a Bkool Pro and not be using the tech when training.

BuffaloYann

Thanks for providing this FAQ! I'm a new, Belgian, BKool-user and was happy to find this FAQ to get me going.

uncle_adolph

Über Member
A question.

I want to set up a session so that the only opponent I have is my own ghost......and not necessarily my best time. I go through the selection process....Players - Splits - Objectives - Details - and in Summary I should apparently hit Set. But there is no Set button. So I seem to send up with exactly the session I started with.

Is there an easy way (or any way!) to achieve what I want?

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
A question.

I want to set up a session so that the only opponent I have is my own ghost......and not necessarily my best time. I go through the selection process....Players - Splits - Objectives - Details - and in Summary I should apparently hit Set. But there is no Set button. So I seem to send up with exactly the session I started with.

Is there an easy way (or any way!) to achieve what I want?

On my Summary page, the button to create the session is called "Schedule", not Set.

Bkool Schedule.jpg

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Ah, I realise now what I was doing wrong. I was simply scheduling the session and then trying to edit it.....that doesn't work but I now see how to do it.
You've got it. Scheduling is the last thing you do, after you've set up all the parameters.
Hope you recognise the avatar, by the way, Asa......

Sheffield 6 - the wrong side of the city for me, geographically.
Footballwise, you could combine red and blue and still not make a good team of out them :whistle:

Alfie_Gooner

Is there any way to delete scheduled rides other than them just running out if they are not done on the day they are scheduled, need to tidy up my shceduled rides and can't find any delete button!!!:banghead:

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
There is almost nothing that you can delete on Bkool, it seems that their ethos is to not allow delete!

Geoff

uncle_adolph

Über Member
Re the firmware issue I am currently on my second BKool SmartPro and just like the first one this will simply not update. With the first one I had they even tried remote controlling my PC to force an update without success.....hence I returned it for a replacement. Both, I should add, were purchased through Amazon rather than direct from BKool.

I am now wanting to give Zwift a try but understand this requires firmware v3.06 whereas mine is permanently stuck on 3.02. After some correspondence with BKool (they are actually pretty good!) it seems that their earlier trainers shipped with circuitry which cannot be updated and hence whatever version of firmware you have you are stuck with.....but until you actually try the update you simply won't know. My guess is that a lot of retailers are still holding old stock and hence unless you buy from BKool it's very much pot luck.

As my replacement is only 10 months old they are replacing the circuit board free of charge so hopefully I will be good to go.

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
After some correspondence with BKool (they are actually pretty good!) it seems that their earlier trainers shipped with circuitry which cannot be updated and hence whatever version of firmware you have you are stuck with.....but until you actually try the update you simply won't know. My guess is that a lot of retailers are still holding old stock and hence unless you buy from BKool it's very much pot luck.

As my replacement is only 10 months old they are replacing the circuit board free of charge so hopefully I will be good to go.

Very interesting post, thanks.

I would think that regardless of age, they should replace the circuit board, as it is clearly defective from new!

As I understand it, EU rules would give you between 2 and 6 years to have this rectified!

Geoff

uncle_adolph

Über Member
Very interesting post, thanks.

I would think that regardless of age, they should replace the circuit board, as it is clearly defective from new!

As I understand it, EU rules would give you between 2 and 6 years to have this rectified!

Geoff

Having researched further it seems the switch was made in August 2014; any BKool trainers manufactured after that date have the new circuitry so there should be no problem in updating them. But if you wish to use an older trainer with the new ANT+ FE-C protocol such as used by Zwift then you will need to return the resistance unit to BKool to have it upgraded.

Whilst BKool are upgrading mine free it does mean I have to go a couple of weeks without my trainer. I suppose at the end of the day I will just have to be patient but it is rather annoying; why on earth didn't they tell me this about this time last year when we were trying to get my previous trainer sorted rather than simply suggest I get a replacement.....which turned out to have precisely the same problem?

ashworthacca

Über Member
This may be a silly question but can you use the Bkool Pro Turbo Trainer without (or even with power) power for using with cycling videos on youtube. Basically just as a normal turbo trainer. Does it have to be plugged in to use it?

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
This may be a silly question but can you use the Bkool Pro Turbo Trainer without (or even with power) power for using with cycling videos on youtube. Basically just as a normal turbo trainer. Does it have to be plugged in to use it?

As far as I know, you have to plug it in!

If you have the latest firmware (3.06) you can switch it to the new ANT+ FE-C control so you can use it with software other than Bkool, but you will still need something to control the resistance. I understand that the free Golden Cheetah should handle FE-C (http://www.goldencheetah.org/ confirms this), or you can pay for Trainerroad or the like.

The free Bkool software will let you ride segments (without video) and you can create them manually, so you can setup simple resistance profiles if you want, to accompany anything else you want to watch while training. Not really getting the most from the trainer, though!

Geoff

Top Bottom