Bkool FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
This may be a silly question but can you use the Bkool Pro Turbo Trainer without (or even with power) power for using with cycling videos on youtube. Basically just as a normal turbo trainer. Does it have to be plugged in to use it?
Based on what I sometimes do with the Bkool Classic, yes you can.

Obviously, it can't adjust the resistance to simulate slopes but it still works as a basic turbo. If you plug in, you get some resistance. If you don't plug in, the resistance is minimal so you'll probably have to go up a few gears from your normal ratio to stop yourself spinning out. Good for pretending that you can ride fast :hyper:.

uncle_adolph

Über Member
This may be a silly question but can you use the Bkool Pro Turbo Trainer without (or even with power) power for using with cycling videos on youtube. Basically just as a normal turbo trainer. Does it have to be plugged in to use it?

If you want to use Tacx-type videos for free using your BKool it's quite easy to do so.

Use this software:

https://ibooij.github.io/big-ring/

And there are plenty of places to get free films to use with it.

The software can be used to give a set power output, so you can imagine you're climbing like Chris Froome, or you can use ANT+ FE-C control.

Well worth a try!

ashworthacca

Über Member
Based on what I sometimes do with the Bkool Classic, yes you can.

Obviously, it can't adjust the resistance to simulate slopes but it still works as a basic turbo. If you plug in, you get some resistance. If you don't plug in, the resistance is minimal so you'll probably have to go up a few gears from your normal ratio to stop yourself spinning out. Good for pretending that you can ride fast :hyper:.

If you want to use Tacx-type videos for free using your BKool it's quite easy to do so.

Use this software:

https://ibooij.github.io/big-ring/

And there are plenty of places to get free films to use with it.

The software can be used to give a set power output, so you can imagine you're climbing like Chris Froome, or you can use ANT+ FE-C control.

Well worth a try!

Excellent, thanks for the clarification guys, very much appreciated.

I'll take a look at the software uncle_adolph, cheers :smile:

ashworthacca

Über Member
As far as I know, you have to plug it in!

If you have the latest firmware (3.06) you can switch it to the new ANT+ FE-C control so you can use it with software other than Bkool, but you will still need something to control the resistance. I understand that the free Golden Cheetah should handle FE-C (http://www.goldencheetah.org/ confirms this), or you can pay for Trainerroad or the like.

The free Bkool software will let you ride segments (without video) and you can create them manually, so you can setup simple resistance profiles if you want, to accompany anything else you want to watch while training. Not really getting the most from the trainer, though!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I do have a Bkool subscription but I also have a couple of sufferfest videos and GCN on Youtube that I thought I'd try out. I know that I can't control resistance but was unsure whether power was needed to my Bkool Pro. I didn't want to do any damage to it :smile:

ibooij

Über Member
Hi Guys,

I wrote Big Ring, the application mentioned above. I'm using it with an Elite trainer myself, but also have a friend using it with a Bkool Pro. If you have any questions about the application, or would like to see things fixed/changed, please tell me.

cheers,
Ilja

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thanks Geoff,

I do have a Bkool subscription but I also have a couple of sufferfest videos and GCN on Youtube that I thought I'd try out. I know that I can't control resistance but was unsure whether power was needed to my Bkool Pro. I didn't want to do any damage to it :smile:

@ashworthacca - it's fine to use the trainer not plugged in. From the Bkool website's FAQs here http://www.bkool.com/help/viewArticle?categoryId=3181&articleId=3316&sectionName=trainer

"If you want you can use the trainer without the simulator and without plugging it in. In this case the intensity will depend on the gear you select on your bike."

jmup55772

Hello, couple questions from someone thinking about moving from Zwift:

If I have a "non-controllable" trainer and a power meter, can I participate in leagues?
Does syncing the ride to Strava include the virtual route on Strava like Zwift or just the raw data (power, hr, time, etc.)?

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
If I have a "non-controllable" trainer and a power meter, can I participate in leagues?

I don't know anyone who has taken part in any league runs that I've been involved with using a "non-smart" trainer and a power meter, but the Bkool web site has this to say... http://www.bkool.com/simulator/simulator2hEN

You'll be using the simulator with a power meter
The simulator will generate your workout data based on the information received from the power meter. Remember that it must be connected to the simulator via ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart.

Would be interested in how this works, if you give it a go. Worth trialing a Premium sub, if you can, to find out, or just pay for a single month?

Does syncing the ride to Strava include the virtual route on Strava like Zwift or just the raw data (power, hr, time, etc.)?

Pretty sure it does. I gave up on the Strava link as it only worked both ways, so every little real world ride I uploaded to Strava became a public Bkool session, which I did not want. Exporting manually and importing to Strava definitely included the virtual route, if the original session had one associated with it. I understand that it exports the GPS trace if the session was created with one.

Geoff

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
It looks like they have found a solution for the browsing routes issue of losing the settings when opening a route :smile:. Any selected route is now opened in a new tab, leaving the settings that came up with the route in place on the old tab :thumbsup:

ashworthacca

Über Member
@ashworthacca - it's fine to use the trainer not plugged in. From the Bkool website's FAQs here http://www.bkool.com/help/viewArticle?categoryId=3181&articleId=3316&sectionName=trainer

"If you want you can use the trainer without the simulator and without plugging it in. In this case the intensity will depend on the gear you select on your bike."
Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been away with work. Many thanks for this, it does clear it up now.

Regards

RJKflyer

Regular
Question for all (also posted in iOS thread but not sure anyone reads that).

Tried the new iOS version - don't know if this also applies to PC/Mac version, but...

Major issue - when event starts (i.e. countdown gets to 00:00), all the competitors shoot off into the distance and I'm left pedalling like fury but creeping away very slowly with some ludicrous virtual speed lag...!

Speed remains blue for 20 secs or so, and eventually winds up to the right number. I'd need to be 500kg and 100W for that sort of acceleration.

Anyone able to confirm or otherwise similar issues? (and/or is desktop version OK?) Thanks!

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Question for all (also posted in iOS thread but not sure anyone reads that).

Tried the new iOS version - don't know if this also applies to PC/Mac version, but...

Major issue - when event starts (i.e. countdown gets to 00:00), all the competitors shoot off into the distance and I'm left pedalling like fury but creeping away very slowly with some ludicrous virtual speed lag...!

Speed remains blue for 20 secs or so, and eventually winds up to the right number. I'd need to be 500kg and 100W for that sort of acceleration.

Anyone able to confirm or otherwise similar issues? (and/or is desktop version OK?) Thanks!

Do you by any chance have a Wahoo KICKR trainer?

This is exactly what the simulator does with a KICKR, we've discussed it in the mega thread and it happens to everyone with a KICKR since the last simulator update. It may be that it also happens for other non-bkool trainers.

If you have a bkool trainer, then I've not seen that.

RJKflyer

Regular
Do you by any chance have a Wahoo KICKR trainer?

This is exactly what the simulator does with a KICKR, we've discussed it in the mega thread and it happens to everyone with a KICKR since the last simulator update. It may be that it also happens for other non-bkool trainers.

If you have a bkool trainer, then I've not seen that.

Yes, I have a KICKR. Thanks for clarifying, and apols for not spotting.

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Yes, I have a KICKR. Thanks for clarifying, and apols for not spotting.

Thought so, the starts on the KICKR are comical at the moment!

Take a look at the start of this recording of a bkool ride, poor JLaw is trying to get going on his KICKR, and keep up with the rest of his team in a Team Handicap Chase...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/au5u6i0jxmo27h8/Bkool Indoor 26_04_16 19_59_52.mp4?dl=0

Could I ask if you have reported it to Bkool? The more people that report problems with a KICKR the more likely they are to do something about it.

Cheers,

Geoff

Top Bottom