BKool Smart Air turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am not gonna weigh in on the Air ( though I love the unconventional look of it) but I wanted to say bridgy has nailed how the NEO works and feels riding downhill , either freewheeling or at the point you apply power.

hes too busy playing chess ! - good job rapha is extra stretchy :snowball:

:biggrin:

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I am not gonna weigh in on the Air ( though I love the unconventional look of it) but I wanted to say bridgy has nailed how the NEO works and feels riding downhill , either freewheeling or at the point you apply power.

Yes, that rear wheel look is actually pretty snazzy. I didn't win the limited edition, but frankly would have asked for the normal one if possible. :smile:

Have either of you tried another DD trainer, for instance the KICKR, Flux or Direto, and compared the feeling to the one on the NEO?

bobinski

Legendary Member
Yes, that rear wheel look is actually pretty snazzy. I didn't win the limited edition, but frankly would have asked for the normal one if possible. :smile:

Have either of you tried another DD trainer, for instance the KICKR, Flux or Direto, and compared the feeling to the one on the NEO?

I have tried the Kickr but only on Watopia hill and then back down. I have to say I liked the feel of the ride although I was in trainers on flat pedals. I turned around at the top then coasted down. I didn’t like the whine!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I have tried the Kickr but only on Watopia hill and then back down. I have to say I liked the feel of the ride although I was in trainers on flat pedals. I turned around at the top then coasted down. I didn’t like the whine!
That's the reason I got the kickr18. The pitch of the noise was at the 'pisses me right orf' frequency. I just need to get my drive train cleaned up to quiet down the noise I've got now, which is basically the chain and jockey wheels. I've got more noise coming from the fans I use than anything else.
:tongue:

I’ll tell you all Wednesday after I see the consultant and the brace comes off. I think I have forgotten how to bend my knee:ohmy:
All the best on Wednesday.

bridgy

Legendary Member

No, I've only ridden the Bkool Pro and the Neo. I'm sure different trainers which are trying to achieve the same thing by slightly different means will feel a bit different to ride, although as long as the power accuracy is good this shouldn't give any one an advantage as such, but might mean you adjust your riding style at times to suit it?

I just found a review of the Neo which both compares it to the Kickr and specifically mentions the downhill drive and explains it better than I probably can - worth a read if you're interested @Brusgaard (relevant section is about halfway down the article) - https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/06/tacx-neo-smart-t2800-user-review-june.html

Brusgaard

Über Guru
No, I've only ridden the Bkool Pro and the Neo. I'm sure different trainers which are trying to achieve the same thing by slightly different means will feel a bit different to ride, although as long as the power accuracy is good this shouldn't give any one an advantage as such, but might mean you adjust your riding style at times to suit it?

I just found a review of the Neo which both compares it to the Kickr and specifically mentions the downhill drive and explains it better than I probably can - worth a read if you're interested @Brusgaard (relevant section is about halfway down the article) - https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/06/tacx-neo-smart-t2800-user-review-june.html

My reason for asking if you tried another trainer is I don't get it, why many people choose the KICKR over the NEO. Yes, the KICKR is easier to bring with you if traveling around the world. In my book, getting a trainer without a belt (ie. less things to break/wear out), with no calibration need and supposedly accurate watts over time beats that. Price is/was about the same.

Well, the Lama's blog basically says the same you did. I guess one has to try the effect to speak about it, sorry.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In my book, getting a trainer without a belt (ie. less things to break/wear out), with no calibration need and supposedly accurate watts over time beats that. Price is/was about the same.

This is exactly my reason for getting the Neo, I did a lot of research and despite not getting on with Tacx over my Vortex, each time I came back to the Neo. I tried quite a few trainers and to be honest there was not a lot of difference between the Kickr and Neo in actual riding. But the points to made together with more 'rocking flexibility' of the Neo made it an absolute no brainer for me. The only downside - no climb, but I don't think I would have paid for that even if I bought a Kickr.

bridgy

Legendary Member
My reason for asking if you tried another trainer is I don't get it, why many people choose the KICKR over the NEO. Yes, the KICKR is easier to bring with you if traveling around the world. In my book, getting a trainer without a belt (ie. less things to break/wear out), with no calibration need and supposedly accurate watts over time beats that. Price is/was about the same.

Well, the Lama's blog basically says the same you did. I guess one has to try the effect to speak about it, sorry.
I notice he mentions in that article that setting the difficulty level in Zwift to 50% pretty much eliminates any feel of lower resistance from the downhill drive, and I usually have my Zwift set to about 50% for racing (just so I have fewer gear changes and can avoid having to drop to smaller front chainring on hills) so this probably explains why I don't tend to feel it even affecting the resistance

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

I agree with this. If we turn this thread slightly to incorporate ‘which trainer is best’, Wahoo design seems dated compared to the neo. I’m not really involved racing at the moment but from what I’ve read about the wahoo over reading watts, I have a feeling there’ll be lots of people on the message boards dismissing wahoo results.

Not that wahoo is dreadful. More that the neo seems to be the standard bearer.

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I agree with this. If we turn this thread slightly to incorporate ‘which trainer is best’, Wahoo design seems dated compared to the neo. I’m not really involved racing at the moment but from what I’ve read about the wahoo over reading watts, I have a feeling there’ll be lots of people on the message boards dismissing wahoo results.

Not that wahoo is dreadful. More that the neo seems to be the standard bearer.
Are you just trying to wind up @CXRAndy ? :laugh:

Top Bottom