BKool Smart Air turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Like said a few posts ago, in the era of the Pro, "nobody" really cared. We are talking accuracy / advantages of current/new direct drive models. As we all know, the Pro/Classic estimates/calculates (some would say guesses) power, and sometimes gets it right and sometimes wrong.

A preliminary review of the Air done by a fellow Dansih Bkooler, says the watts are within 5 watts of his Rotor INPower and P1 pedals. He did a 20 minute ride, and the avg. were as follows: P1 178w, Rotor 175w and the Air 173w.

I agree. When I bought my pro unit I did so knowing it wasn’t as accurate as other turbos. But they price relative to the accuracy (which I didn’t care about) was good. I wasn’t ready to spend a large sum on a turbo at that point. One of the problems with the air for me, is that it’s in the same price bracket as the neo. But it’s produced by a company who have a terrible record in pretty much every area I can think of. So knowing everything we do about Bkool it would be crazy to choose the air over the neo right now.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Like said a few posts ago, in the era of the Pro, "nobody" really cared. We are talking accuracy / advantages of current/new direct drive models. As we all know, the Pro/Classic estimates/calculates (some would say guesses) power, and sometimes gets it right and sometimes wrong.

A preliminary review of the Air done by a fellow Dansih Bkooler, says the watts are within 5 watts of his Rotor INPower and P1 pedals. He did a 20 minute ride, and the avg. were as follows: P1 178w, Rotor 175w and the Air 173w.
Has anyone raced one on Bkool against other people using Bkool Pros that you know of?

Brusgaard

Über Guru
One of the problems with the air for me, is that it’s in the same price bracket as the neo. But it’s produced by a company who have a terrible record in pretty much every area I can think of. So knowing everything we do about Bkool it would be crazy to choose the air over the neo right now.

I concur. The pros / cons done by the reviewer are as follows. Maybe the translations aren't 100% correct, but I guess you get the picture. Comments in ( ) are mine and not in the article.

Pros:
Nice even pedaling feeling
Easy to assemble and setup
Nice sound from rearhub when freewheeling
Surprisingly stable
Accurate watts - compared to the PowerTap P1's and the Rotor INpower
Nice colour (antracit grey)
Quieter than previous Bkool turbos

Cons:
Fragile paint on the feet (I did see some ugly white scratches on the one I tried! As the feet are where you put your feet when getting off, this would happen fast I guess)
Trainer cover made of hard plastic (could amplify noise / resonance)
The rocking/flexing takes some getting used to
Felt the trainer leaning to the left (as seen in my video)
Price and reputation of BKOOL - Should maybe have been priced at the Flux/KICKR Core/Direto level and not as the highend models.

<Tommy>

Tommy, are you getting the Neo? Lee is thrashing all comers, he needs a youngster to put him his place :smile:

Cyclechat. The only place outside of Eastbourne where being 39 makes you a youngster! (I’ll take it :smile:)

I ordered the neo bike a few months ago now. The latest is I’ll be getting it around the 27th of December. Fingers crossed on that one!

CXRAndy

Guru
This is probably the most interesting thing about it for me. Maybe the difference in performance between the two turbos makes Bkool try harder to create a platform equal to all.

Ive said it before, Bkool have trapped themselves with not resolving the Bkool Pro speed/ power advantage. They will have egg on their face if their new 'air' is more accurate and comparable to others(Wahoo, Tacx etc) and the Pro is producing bigger power, faster speeds. I doubt it though, the 'air' will use the same method and match the Pro, perpetuating their issue

<Tommy>

Ive said it before, Bkool have trapped themselves with not resolving the Bkool Pro speed/ power advantage. They will have egg on their face if their new 'air' is more accurate and comparable to others(Wahoo, Tacx etc) and the Pro is producing bigger power, faster speeds. I doubt it though, the 'air' will use the same method and match the Pro, perpetuating their issue

I don’t know Andy. I mean maybe. But why not just move forward with the air and say the pro is old tech that is being superseded? It’s what companies generally do with this sort of thing isn’t it? I know Bkool have historically hung onto the pro, rather than embracing power meter controlled turbos. But this could be the moment that happens. Either that or they just keep on deleting people complaining posts on Facebook when they highlight the differences in the turbos! Could go either way...

Top Bottom