Bkool Smart Bike experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

keke

Thanks for sharing the review link. I'm going to take a measuring tape next time I go to the gym and see what the spinning bikes Q factor is there. It seems to be the reviewer's main concern. I haven't thought about it before...

I have the 2nd gen white BKool classic and have been more than happy with the platform as is. A cadence sensor was missing from the box and the original power supply was dead on arrival and they sent a new ones quickly. All been working as it should since May 2015. Some very rare downtime. They did an important firmware update for free (FE-C Support) and the software is does get updates all the time. I have always got answers from support. New BKool Fitness app for spinning classes looks good.

Good to hear it is as silent as they claim.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Thanks for sharing the review link. I'm going to take a measuring tape next time I go to the gym and see what the spinning bikes Q factor is there. It seems to be the reviewer's main concern. I haven't thought about it before...

I have the 2nd gen white BKool classic and have been more than happy with the platform as is. A cadence sensor was missing from the box and the original power supply was dead on arrival and they sent a new ones quickly. All been working as it should since May 2015. Some very rare downtime. They did an important firmware update for free (FE-C Support) and the software is does get updates all the time. I have always got answers from support. New BKool Fitness app for spinning classes looks good.

Good to hear it is as silent as they claim.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to help you the way I hoped. You have helped clear something up for me though. I now understand better how companies as poor as Bkool limp on. Very best of luck.

OP
OP
K

keke

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to help you the way I hoped.

I'm still on the fence, probably won't buy for a few months to avoid teething issues and happy to read more about your challenges. What sorts of things went wrong for you? I'm not a competitive athlete, just in this for fitness.

s2ook

If your looking for something to use for structured sessions such as intervals. You’ll want a unit that changes resistance quickly and with smooth transitions. If there is a lag in resistance changes then the ramp up and down will be poor. Particularly when doing short sharp intervals. So the lag will be an issue.

What issues do tacx have? From what I understand their suooort is a million times better than Bkool. Which isn’t saying much because Bkool support isn’t poor, it’s virtually non existent... if you want a decent spin bike and aren’t interested in Zwift. Why not get a second hand wattbike pro? You can pick them up for the same or less than the Bkool heap of junk. And they have an excellent track record for what you are looking for.

I have a wattbike pro for my clinic.

It's clunky and hard to perform structured sessions as the resistance is based on the operators ability to work a set cadence whilst performing adjustments to the vent. Try doing any 15" / 30" intervals on that and you'll be pulling your teeth out. It's fine for steady state, longer intervals but doesn't have the versatility that an ergo unit has.

I've had a tacx fortius previously. The software was poor, setup took forever and it required constant calibration. It also locked frequently. My experience with tacx support was poor as was most other users in those days. It may have improved.

I really want a spin type platform TBH. it provides a more varied workout and I especially like the inertia. I have considered a spin type indoor bike with power pedals but the same limitations apply as per the wattbike pro. The BH Fitness iSpada 2 seems to tick most of the boxes including the ability to automatically adjust resistance but user experience/reviews are non existent.

<Tommy>

I have a wattbike pro for my clinic.

It's clunky and hard to perform structured sessions as the resistance is based on the operators ability to work a set cadence whilst performing adjustments to the vent. Try doing any 15" / 30" intervals on that and you'll be pulling your teeth out. It's fine for steady state, longer intervals but doesn't have the versatility that an ergo unit has.

I've had a tacx fortius previously. The software was poor, setup took forever and it required constant calibration. It also locked frequently. My experience with tacx support was poor as was most other users in those days. It may have improved.

I really want a spin type platform TBH. it provides a more varied workout and I especially like the inertia. I have considered a spin type indoor bike with power pedals but the same limitations apply as per the wattbike pro. The BH Fitness iSpada 2 seems to tick most of the boxes including the ability to automatically adjust resistance but user experience/reviews are non existent.

Wattbike pros are still used by cycling teams around the world. Track racers, road racers tri athaletes etc. You can pre set them for ramp training and interval workouts so no need to manual adjust during sessions. It doesn’t have ergo so if that’s a deal breaker I can understand that.
But the Bkool offering is not a viable alternative. I can’t keep on saying the same thing but you will be setting your money on fire! The wattbike atom is a viable alternative if you want to use it as a spin bike as opposed to going on Zwift etc. But for me the lag in gear shifting, which gets exaggerated the more gears / resistance you change in one go, is a deal breaker.
There are more offerings coming out later this year from tacx and others. And that’s what I’m personally holding out for. It sounds like you had a crappy experience with tacx and I’d find it hard to return to a company I felt let down by to be honest. But the tacx neo is widely recognised as the best turbo trainer on the market today for reliability, accuracy, build quality, and noise. And I know from people who have had issues with their trainers that the customer support has been swift and satisfactory.

Thought about buying a cheap bike and throwing it on a turbo trainer? Personally I like the stand alone unit but just wondering wheee you stand.

s2ook

Wattbike pros are still used by cycling teams around the world. Track racers, road racers tri athaletes etc. You can pre set them for ramp training and interval workouts so no need to manual adjust during sessions. It doesn’t have ergo so if that’s a deal breaker I can understand that.
But the Bkool offering is not a viable alternative. I can’t keep on saying the same thing but you will be setting your money on fire! The wattbike atom is a viable alternative if you want to use it as a spin bike as opposed to going on Zwift etc. But for me the lag in gear shifting, which gets exaggerated the more gears / resistance you change in one go, is a deal breaker.
There are more offerings coming out later this year from tacx and others. And that’s what I’m personally holding out for. It sounds like you had a crappy experience with tacx and I’d find it hard to return to a company I felt let down by to be honest. But the tacx neo is widely recognised as the best turbo trainer on the market today for reliability, accuracy, build quality, and noise. And I know from people who have had issues with their trainers that the customer support has been swift and satisfactory.

Thought about buying a cheap bike and throwing it on a turbo trainer? Personally I like the stand alone unit but just wondering wheee you stand.

How do you preset a wattbike pro?

The ramp test is one of the most frustrating tests to perform as it's constant changes in resistance using the resistance slider and changes to cadence. There's no robust nor repeatable way of doing it. It's completely manual adjustment on ours either by the air vent, magnetic resistance wheel or changing cadence.

As for lag, even on a ramp test as long as the lag is consistent when changing resistance, a unit like the smart bike will still be repeatable for comparable sessions.

I hadn't realised the atom was a fixed drivetrain like a spin bike though. I might have a look at that as well.

Tacx are going to release a static bike based on the NEO but it's over double the price of this which given the lack of additional features and cost over a standard neo unit is hard to swallow.

I had a fluid pro trainer with an old bike/powertap hub but again setup is an issue. I can also purchase a static bike for work so it makes more sense...

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
The Q factor won’t be your biggest issues. Your biggest issue will be it’s produced by Bkool!

Seriously run! Don’t look back! Get away from that piece of junk as fast as possible!!!

Do not make any assumptions about any of the problems being fixed. It won’t get better. It’ll probably get worse. Bkool are a complete bunch of clowns. I’m not saying this for effect. They really are a joke. Go into the main Bkool thread and ask for general options on Bkool and their product. Bare in mind most of us have experience of Bkool over a few years. It’s not even like it’s the Bkool pro which is relatively cheap so it makes a case for value for money. That spin bike is a big chunk of change.

On a side note I’d be highly surprised if the lag improves. I’ve owned a wattbike atom which has a similar issue. It isn’t a software problem it’s hardware. You just can’t change resistance on a spin bike at the same speed as a real bike. If I well respected company like wattbike cant improve it, then the Bkool monkey boys have got more chance of getting $hit out of a rocking horse!
hmmm - shall we put you down as a maybe ?
you seem a little indecisive ^_^ pssst do you want to buy a bkool pro :secret:

s2ook

On the road cc review it states q factor at 214mm whereas on fitness inn it lists it as 179mm

https://www.fitnessinn.co.uk/bkool-...XvOLT5bZJS9_O0mWNvA01gslAGFluNQxoCzJIQAvD_BwE

Quite a difference...

<Tommy>

How do you preset a wattbike pro?

The ramp test is one of the most frustrating tests to perform as it's constant changes in resistance using the resistance slider and changes to cadence. There's no robust nor repeatable way of doing it. It's completely manual adjustment on ours either by the air vent, magnetic resistance wheel or changing cadence.

As for lag, even on a ramp test as long as the lag is consistent when changing resistance, a unit like the smart bike will still be repeatable for comparable sessions.

I hadn't realised the atom was a fixed drivetrain like a spin bike though. I might have a look at that as well.

Tacx are going to release a static bike based on the NEO but it's over double the price of this which given the lack of additional features and cost over a standard neo unit is hard to swallow.

I had a fluid pro trainer with an old bike/powertap hub but again setup is an issue. I can also purchase a static bike for work so it makes more sense...

Sorry s2ook I just saw this. It possible I got the wattbike pro confused wth the spin bike I used in a gym on holiday last year, so sorry if that’s the case. It does seem odd to me though that a bike used so widely amongst pro athletes is so disagreeable to you. Perhaps a different version of the unit.

The lag in resistance change is an issue, particularly in erg mode because it isn’t consistent. Because you can find yourself in a position where the resistance yo yo’s in a way that is inconsistant with your cadence when the watts increase in an interval session. It’s annoying during long intervals. It makes it impossible to do short intervals.

In fact the lag is bad enough for Wattbike themselves to recommend buying the pro unit rather than the atom if you intend to do short sharp intervals specifically for this reason. That’s why I’m surprised when you said how hard you found it to change resistance settings on the pro. Not questioning your experience at all but yeah, just surprised. I obviously can’t comment on the Bkool bike, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had the same issue.

Side issue but perhaps pertinent to the Q factor debate. I saw dc rainmaker dismiss the importance of variation in Q factor. He argues that people adjust between road and mountain bikes which have different Q factor, so it shouldn’t be an issue generally. For me I’m not sure. I had some quite bad knee problems this year. It’s possible it’s general wear and tear (I’m 38 so maybe it’s right that things start failing!). But I can’t dismiss the possibility it was Q factor or the poor resistance changes on the atom that brought it on as my problems coincided with my training on the atom. On the wattbike Facebook page some others have also mentioned similar issues, although of course this could also be coincidence. For what it’s worth the atom is not perfect but is technically compatible with Zwift, bigringvr trainerroad, sufferdest etc. Although you can’t do ftp on trainerroad because of erg issues I mentioned earlier... From what I understand the Bkool unit isn’t? That seems short sighted to say the least to me!

The neo bike has the same q factor as a road bike for what it’s worth. But I’m guessing you’ve watched the dcrainmaker piece on it. You are right in that it has many of the same fundamentals as the neo. That’s obviously no bad thing considering how highly the neo is rated. But it also looks like it succeeds where other spin bikes fail. It honestly didn’t occur to me all the possible difficulties in producing a functioning smart spin bike. But tacx have put a lot of good features into their bike. Basically it looks like it performs like a normal bike.

The reason the atom is £700 or so cheaper is possibly because they’ve cut corners on build quality. The shifters are very poorly designed with the rubber hoods miss fitting, which in turn means it slip and encourages unwanted shifts. Why is this a big problem? It can be if you find yourself in the toughest gear without warning. Again, I can’t see this being any good on the knees amongst other things. Also many people complain about seat post and stems constantly slipping while using the unit. I could go on. Sometimes you get what you pay for basically.

Is neo bike worth twice the neo? Well I’d probably ask the question is it worth £2200 or whatever it’s going to be rather than compairing it with a different type of product. For me it’s worth it yes. Because it does the things I want it to do and I can’t see another spin bike that does. But I think other companies are also bringing out smart bikes this year right? So most likely you’ll have a few options.

Just one last thing regarding Bkool. They are dishonest in my view. Rather than tackling known issues with their products they deny the problems exists. Rather than taking on board criticism they spend their time deleting negative posts on Facebook. Their customer service team play ignorant to obvious failings. They are purposefully vague in their answers, slow to respond and often times don’t address the actual issue you’re having. The products I have had direct use of (Bkool classic, and Bkool pro) are poorly made. Just judging from the very small community we have here they seem to have a very low average shelf life. And by the time people’s trainers have died, they have seen how poor Bkool are and are ready to move on to another brand as they’ve lost faith. So to tie yourself down to a company like that is not recommended!

Last edited:

s2ook

Sorry s2ook I just saw this. It possible I got the wattbike pro confused wth the spin bike I used in a gym on holiday last year, so sorry if that’s the case. It does seem odd to me though that a bike used so widely amongst pro athletes is so disagreeable to you. Perhaps a different version of the unit.

The lag in resistance change is an issue, particularly in erg mode because it isn’t consistent. Because you can find yourself in a position where the resistance yo yo’s in a way that is inconsistant with your cadence when the watts increase in an interval session. It’s annoying during long intervals. It makes it impossible to do short intervals.

In fact the lag is bad enough for Wattbike themselves to recommend buying the pro unit rather than the atom if you intend to do short sharp intervals specifically for this reason. That’s why I’m surprised when you said how hard you found it to change resistance settings on the pro. Not questioning your experience at all but yeah, just surprised. I obviously can’t comment on the Bkool bike, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had the same issue.

Side issue but perhaps pertinent to the Q factor debate. I saw dc rainmaker dismiss the importance of variation in Q factor. He argues that people adjust between road and mountain bikes which have different Q factor, so it shouldn’t be an issue generally. For me I’m not sure. I had some quite bad knee problems this year. It’s possible it’s general wear and tear (I’m 38 so maybe it’s right that things start failing!). But I can’t dismiss the possibility it was Q factor or the poor resistance changes on the atom that brought it on as my problems coincided with my training on the atom. On the wattbike Facebook page some others have also mentioned similar issues, although of course this could also be coincidence. For what it’s worth the atom is not perfect but is technically compatible with Zwift, bigringvr trainerroad, sufferdest etc. Although you can’t do ftp on trainerroad because of erg issues I mentioned earlier... From what I understand the Bkool unit isn’t? That seems short sighted to say the least to me!

The neo bike has the same q factor as a road bike for what it’s worth. But I’m guessing you’ve watched the dcrainmaker piece on it. You are right in that it has many of the same fundamentals as the neo. That’s obviously no bad thing considering how highly the neo is rated. But it also looks like it succeeds where other spin bikes fail. It honestly didn’t occur to me all the possible difficulties in producing a functioning smart spin bike. But tacx have put a lot of good features into their bike. Basically it looks like it performs like a normal bike.

The reason the atom is £700 or so cheaper is possibly because they’ve cut corners on build quality. The shifters are very poorly designed with the rubber hoods miss fitting, which in turn means it slip and encourages unwanted shifts. Why is this a big problem? It can be if you find yourself in the toughest gear without warning. Again, I can’t see this being any good on the knees amongst other things. Also many people complain about seat post and stems constantly slipping while using the unit. I could go on. Sometimes you get what you pay for basically.

Is neo bike worth twice the neo? Well I’d probably ask the question is it worth £2200 or whatever it’s going to be rather than compairing it with a different type of product. For me it’s worth it yes. Because it does the things I want it to do and I can’t see another spin bike that does. But I think other companies are also bringing out smart bikes this year right? So most likely you’ll have a few options.

Just one last thing regarding Bkool. They are dishonest in my view. Rather than tackling known issues with their products they deny the problems exists. Rather than taking on board criticism they spend their time deleting negative posts on Facebook. Their customer service team play ignorant to obvious failings. They are purposefully vague in their answers, slow to respond and often times don’t address the actual issue you’re having. The products I have had direct use of (Bkool classic, and Bkool pro) are poorly made. Just judging from the very small community we have here they seem to have a very low average shelf life. And by the time people’s trainers have died, they have seen how poor Bkool are and are ready to move on to another brand as they’ve lost faith. So to tie yourself down to a company like that is not recommended!
Thanks for your response.

I don't find the wattbike pro disagreeable as such. It does a job in the same way that riding a bike to train will. I just find that structured sessions require a lot of effort/concentration. I have a metronome set up to match cadence. For a ramp test it's a case of preprogramming it for the cadence required to match the wattage and then adjusting the fan vent which is an analogue slider (it's numbered but there's an infinite adjustment between). When you're gassing it really requires another set of hands. The atom is a much more advanced piece of equipment.

The bkool so far is the only actual 'spin' style or 'indoor cycling' bike/cycle ie fixed gear (no freewheel) and with a large weighted flywheel for inertia. All the others are basically stationary upright exercise bikes albeit smart.

It gives more variety. On a bkool you can perform single leg cycling for example (or even reverse if the mood takes you). This would feel very unnatural (or impossible on the neo/atom. On the neo technically you could perform eccentric cycling drills but on asking tacx they were not planning on introducing this feature in the near future.

At <£1k is the bkool worth a punt when buying for business?

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
If it doesn't do what you require then you can write it off against taxes. I would guess you write you Cap Ex down over three of 5 years, so if it lasts that long, remembering that it is a consumer product, then it doesn't 'cost' you anything in the long run.

I have a BKool pro, I won't be buying another BKool unit, The Bkool sim is advanced in some ways (private racing) and completely crap (Biased to BKool Trainers) in others. From what you have said you intend to use it not connected to any SIM, but as a 'Spin Bike'. ... I can't help thinking that if you have gone for a smart 'trainer/bike' then you'll get most benefit from it connected to a trainerroad or sufferfest sim, using sessions configured on that.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i have had a bkool classic , a bkool pro and a tacx neo
they are the only things i can compare , and i know that i wouldn't deal with bkool again
i emailed them times to try and sort issues out and got idiotic replies skirting my problems and in the end gave up and got the neo
i havent had a problem with the neo so no need to call for support so cannot say if they are helpful or not
i have looked on youtube at people taking both trainers apart and they certainly look worlds apart in durablity
if i was buying something for a business i wouldn't think about any unit with bkool on it - i looked after mine and still had issues - in a business they are going to take more hammer and dont think they will stand up to it
i understand this isnt going to help you decide as your looking a different products

s2ook

Thanks for the replies :-)

What it comes down to for me is:

1) is it durable/robust as a machine (it has a 2 year commercial warranty)
2) is the app for the smart bike reliable as there is no control for resistance on the bike.
3) can it be used occasionally for testing/structured workouts (not zwift/simulation)

I had looked at a BH Fitness iSpada but that provides a maximum of 280w in ergo mode.

I think if the bkool had a manual resistance it would be a no brainer I'd buy one without question. However if the app which controls resistance is unstable this would put me off for certain.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Don’t know if it would bother you but Bkool also doesn’t measure watts accurately. Most people report over reads between 10-40% on the Bkool pro. Does the spin bike have it’s own power meter? That could make a difference but I wouldn’t assume to rely on Bkool readings. Also if you did discover your unit was inaccurate a wouldn’t rely on Bkool to be honest in their responses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom