Bkool Smart Bike experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s2ook

Don’t know if it would bother you but Bkool also doesn’t measure watts accurately. Most people report over reads between 10-40% on the Bkool pro. Does the spin bike have it’s own power meter? That could make a difference but I wouldn’t assume to rely on Bkool readings. Also if you did discover your unit was inaccurate a wouldn’t rely on Bkool to be honest in their responses.

I'm not certain how it derives power TBH.

According to the road c.c. review it's within 2-3% of the Garmin vector with no drift. It's reliable if not 100% accurate.

I really want to see a review by DCR.

A unit like this should in theory be better than a smart turbo with tyre contact. There's fewer variables and less heat produced by the components.

Tough choice.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
3% would be totally acceptable to me.

Why do you think dcrainmaker hasn’t reviewed it yet? I could hazard a guess.

Agreed a unit like that should be more accurate than a roller style turbo. But for the record the Bkool pro performs dreadfully compared to turbos of a similar type.

Tough choice? I get the strong impression you’re leaning heavily towards a Bkool unit. Get one. Worse case it sucks and lesson learned. No biggie.

I can’t keep on saying the same thing in different ways and my experience is limited to what I’ve already said so I’ll leave it like this I think. On this sub forum there is a lot of guys who have owned or own a Bkool unit. So in that sense I don’t think you could of come to a better place to ask about Bkool in general. I’d be very very surprised if any of them would considered buying the spin bike. Or any other Bkool product again for that matter. Take that for what it’s worh and best of luck whatever way you go :smile:

s2ook

3% would be totally acceptable to me.

Why do you think dcrainmaker hasn’t reviewed it yet? I could hazard a guess.

Agreed a unit like that should be more accurate than a roller style turbo. But for the record the Bkool pro performs dreadfully compared to turbos of a similar type.

Tough choice? I get the strong impression you’re leaning heavily towards a Bkool unit. Get one. Worse case it sucks and lesson learned. No biggie.

I can’t keep on saying the same thing in different ways and my experience is limited to what I’ve already said so I’ll leave it like this I think. On this sub forum there is a lot of guys who have owned or own a Bkool unit. So in that sense I don’t think you could of come to a better place to ask about Bkool in general. I’d be very very surprised if any of them would considered buying the spin bike. Or any other Bkool product again for that matter. Take that for what it’s worh and best of luck whatever way you go :smile:
I appreciate your experience. I'm just very much hoping against all odds that this device bucks the trend.

DCR did run a preview of the unit from eurobike last year along with the new bkool air. Neither unit was at a working stage at that point though. I suspect bkool' US distributors are awaiting stock and given the depth of the reviews DCR does it will be a while before it goes to press.

I am considering other options:

https://www.kettler.co.uk/racer-s/

This is a similar style albeit less versatility with regards to structured workouts.

However, it does have superzero carbon aero handlebars and campag eps shifters so for the weight weenie conscious indoor cycling enthusiast this is obviously a major selling point :-)

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
The question is why are you against a top of the range direct drive trainer, Kickr, Neo, Hammer etc? They take up about the same space.

You could have a turbo, dedicated PC, large screen monitor, rocker board for the cost of spin bike. Zwift, trainer road, BRVR are setup to work with most trainers. I doubt these spin bikes will get a foothold at the cost they're being offered at, to make the likes of Zwift workout any glitches they come with.

Ps I've used a Bkool pro along side my Wahoo kickr DD. I only used the Pro because I was uncompetitive within Bkool races. Ignoring the massive over power reading s. I have raced flat courses producing an average 400+ Bkool watts.

In Bkool and Zwift on my Kickr I can manage 320W

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I appreciate your experience. I'm just very much hoping against all odds that this device bucks the trend.

DCR did run a preview of the unit from eurobike last year along with the new bkool air. Neither unit was at a working stage at that point though. I suspect bkool' US distributors are awaiting stock and given the depth of the reviews DCR does it will be a while before it goes to press.

I am considering other options:

https://www.kettler.co.uk/racer-s/

This is a similar style albeit less versatility with regards to structured workouts.

However, it does have superzero carbon aero handlebars and campag eps shifters so for the weight weenie conscious indoor cycling enthusiast this is obviously a major selling point :-)

Haha! To be fair the wattbike atom hoods were dreadful so going with campag is a vast improvement. Same price as the neo bike though but doesn’t seem nearly as interactive.

The eurobike fiasco is Bkool all over!

s2ook

The question is why are you against a top of the range direct drive trainer, Kickr, Neo, Hammer etc? They take up about the same space.

You could have a turbo, dedicated PC, large screen monitor, rocker board for the cost of spin bike. Zwift, trainer road, BRVR are setup to work with most trainers. I doubt these spin bikes will get a foothold at the cost they're being offered at, to make the likes of Zwift workout any glitches they come with.

Ps I've used a Bkool pro along side my Wahoo kickr DD. I only used the Pro because I was uncompetitive within Bkool races. Ignoring the massive over power reading s. I have raced flat courses producing an average 400+ Bkool watts.

In Bkool and Zwift on my Kickr I can manage 320W
I'm not against a turbo and if it was just for me a neo would be top of the turbo shopping list. I've had a tacx fortius and various Cycleops trainers before.

A spin bike offers a robust, easily adjustable platform for users. I had previously considered a spin bike with some power pedals. However, something like the bkool ostensibly ticks these boxes with the added bonus of the ergometer features to allow structured testing and workouts.

Road cc have stated that the power tracks to within 3% of the Garmin vectors. Also, if the unit provides reliable/repeatable data then accuracy is not that important.

Here's my list so far:

Elite fuoripista - perfect in every way. Might end in a decree absolut once the bill lands though...

Bkool smart indoor bike - ticks all the boxes but poor reputataion and lacking user expetience

Kettler racer s - sturdy German built behemoth. Has ergo mode but limited versatility. Awesome handlebars.

BH Fitness iSpada racing ii - sturdy, cheapish. Ergo mode to 280w only.

Maybe I need to try zwift. I've only really used trainers for structured training sessions...

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Maybe I need to try zwift. I've only really used trainers for structured training sessions

Try several different courses over several days and also joins in group rides and the odd race . See Zwiftpower for the listing of courses and events. These list the time, duration and categories A,B,C,D,E

s2ook

We'll at least the lag isn't an issue for changes in resistance!

The problem is probably software as it needs to make reasonable adjustment for momentum to smooth out the transition. I wonder if this is the case on any other trainers as well. If it's not an issue on spinning classes then the hardware seems to be up to the job.

They really should have integrated buttons for shifting though although a fixed gear bike is hardly the platform to integrate gears anyway. It seems like the wrong tool for the job.

Maybe try a geared bike with a fixed hub and ride up alpe d'huez. The experience could be closer to reality than the reviewer gives it credit for :-)

Still, not great though :-(

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
I honestly think you should ignore all of the carefully considered advice you have received here and the reviews and just buy one! Then you can let us know if the Q factor affects you or, even worse messes with your knees, or if changing gears by tapping a phone screen is a hassle. Or if waiting for bkools infamous software updates sorts the niggles and oversights. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but people are trying to help. There is little than can be described as positive about the road CC review or that other review. I know they said power accuracy was often within 2-3% of vectors but if gen 1 vectors they often track 10% higher than most other PM’s. I am also reminded that Roadcc found the bkool Pro to be accurate power wise. It seems they get the only accurate bkool units!
Anyway, if you are only ever going to use bkools own software and spin and you are not worried about support for Zwift or trainer road or RGT etc and racing or group riding and like what you see and you have read then get your credit card out and give us all your review ^_^

s2ook

I honestly think you should ignore all of the carefully considered advice you have received here and the reviews and just buy one! Then you can let us know if the Q factor affects you or, even worse messes with your knees, or if changing gears by tapping a phone screen is a hassle. Or if waiting for bkools infamous software updates sorts the niggles and oversights. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but people are trying to help. There is little than can be described as positive about the road CC review or that other review. I know they said power accuracy was often within 2-3% of vectors but if gen 1 vectors they often track 10% higher than most other PM’s. I am also reminded that Roadcc found the bkool Pro to be accurate power wise. It seems they get the only accurate bkool units!
Anyway, if you are only ever going to use bkools own software and spin and you are not worried about support for Zwift or trainer road or RGT etc and racing or group riding and like what you see and you have read then get your credit card out and give us all your review ^_^
As I've stated previously I'm not going to be an early adopter of anything bkool given the reviews :-)

However, the q factor has been a complaint for the wattbike pro and after 5 years of use I've never found it to be an issue. The difference with the bkool is 6mm compared to the wattbike.

Power accuracy isn't necessary an issue. Reliability is. Any efforts need to be repeatable and whether it reads 3w or 20w too high won't be a problem (FWIW the wattbike is around 30-40w higher than both my powertaps at CP20).

I'm generally wary of the reviews posted so far due to the lack of objectivity. Both reviews seem to lack the depth required to assess the unit on its merits or lack thereof.

I completely take on board the criticism of bkool and the poor software/service. However, the bkool still remains on the list until DCR reviews it.

I'll gladly do a similar review (minus the unboxing part).

All I need are: powertap p1s, Garmin vectors, face to unos, Garmin 1000, 820, 520 and a Wahoo elemnt. Oh and the bkool bike.

That should about cover it :-)

bobinski

Legendary Member
As I've stated previously I'm not going to be an early adopter of anything bkool given the reviews :-)

However, the q factor has been a complaint for the wattbike pro and after 5 years of use I've never found it to be an issue. The difference with the bkool is 6mm compared to the wattbike.

Power accuracy isn't necessary an issue. Reliability is. Any efforts need to be repeatable and whether it reads 3w or 20w too high won't be a problem (FWIW the wattbike is around 30-40w higher than both my powertaps at CP20).

I'm generally wary of the reviews posted so far due to the lack of objectivity. Both reviews seem to lack the depth required to assess the unit on its merits or lack thereof.

I completely take on board the criticism of bkool and the poor software/service. However, the bkool still remains on the list until DCR reviews it.

I'll gladly do a similar review (minus the unboxing part).

All I need are: powertap p1s, Garmin vectors, face to unos, Garmin 1000, 820, 520 and a Wahoo elemnt. Oh and the bkool bike.

That should about cover it :-)

I don't think he will and if he does (or doesn't ) and you bite then I think we all deserve an unboxing :okay:

s2ook

I just received a response from bkool after asking how the unit measured power.

This is the response:

'Hey ###, the Smart Bike estimates power based on your weight and power output,

[Some kind of emoji which reflects utter disbelief combined with ROFLMAO]

Last edited:
Top Bottom