Bl**dy Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Not dog person I take it LYB? No problem, to each their own :smile:

Whether I was a "dog person" or not, the number of dogs that I counted , out of control /fouling playing fields, paths and tracks was less than the number of dogs I counted that were under control etc ... Numbers are numbers you don't get "dog person" numbers and non "dog person" numbers.

Norm

What gets me are the people who pick up their dogs turd, neatly tie the bag then hang the feckin' thing on a fence, gate, tree etc, etc. What the hells that all about? You've bothered to pick it up and bag it, now bin it :cursing:
+1
Bagging and not binning is almost worse than not picking it up in the first place.......
Obviously I am not trying to speak for anyone else but I'll bag it and put it high (out of kids' reach) in a tree if my dog takes a crap on the outward leg of the walk, then I'll grab it again on the way back past. This does happen fairly regularly, for me, as the dog does seem to favour one particular place to take a dump which is near the start of the walk.

I've never forgotten to pick it up on the way back, though, something which I'd quickly spot the next time we walked that way anyway.

I then put the bag in my own bin.
Not dog person I take it LYB? No problem, to each their own :smile:
See, look, you've responded now and he's off again.:rolleyes:

endoman

I can speak from both sides. New cyclist, New dog owner. Cycling for 8 months, never had bother with a dog, mainly ride on road, but occasional trail. Dog owners v good round here. Had dog for 3 months, he's a Ridgeback pup, take him out on cycle paths off lead. He's pretty good, we have trained him, and taken him to classes, if we see a group coming, we recall him and he's back on lead. Never had a cyclist complain yet, mostly try to keep him off lead on open land on the moors etc. If loads of people around he's back on the lead t his age and size.

Loving both the dog and the bike, can't wait to take him out with me on the bike.

col

Legendary Member
I hate it when they give enough slack in the lead , and the mutt drools all over your clean trousers, then rubs passed leaving loads of hairs too as they pass:cursing:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm pretty new to Dog ownership, (though I grew-up in a house-full of them).
I've 40 odd years of cycling behind me.
I've also raised 3 kids.

And here's the thing ... in a perfect world, nobody would get in the way, or intefere, or annoy or inconvenience another soul on the planet with their or their charges behaviour. But life's not perfect, people are not perfect, dogs are not perfect, kids are not perfect a little bit of 'live and let live' goes a long way. none of us set-out to annoy or inconvenience.

I'm sure my kids have annoyed others, I'm certain my cycling has annoyed others (mostly drivers!) and I know even after a few weeks of Dog ownership, we've managed to annoy one or two. He's young and a sighthound, so he'll see something appealing and race-off to greet them, sometimes he comes back when called, sometimes I catch him before he goes, sometimes he encouters someone who's happy to meet him and sometimes somebody who is scared or dislikes dogs or doesn't want a muddy footprint. Most people are tolerant, a few are not. I can understand that, but none of this is out of malice. We're training, learning, trying to enjoy our hobby, sharing the outdoor space, not aiming for conflict.

I've had 1 jogger and 1 cyclist take umbridge. The cyclist came barreling down a cinder path through the park, (it matters not what kind of desinated path it is) I had stopped chatting to 2 teenage girls walking the opposite direction with an older Whippet. Dogs were on leads. The cyclist swerved tightly around us at full tilt shouting 'zarking dog walkers' and sped off. Totally needless.
So there are wnakers everywhere, some walk dogs, some ride bikes, some have annoying kids. Sometimes we come together unexpectedly and it's beholden on us all to make the best of the different circumstances when that happens. Personally I always slow right down on shared paths especially where there are young kids or dogs running around, it's just common sense. If I want to ride fast, I use roads, that what they're there for.

On the subjecy of dog shoot, like any form of littering, it's indefensible and a pox on those who don't clear up after.

Steady as you go.

Whether I was a "dog person" or not, the number of dogs that I counted , out of control /fouling playing fields, paths and tracks was less than the number of dogs I counted that were under control etc ... Numbers are numbers you don't get "dog person" numbers and non "dog person" numbers.
Fair enoughski, I rarely encounter dogs on my commute or my rides, so I'm happy :smile:

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
Better then while on the bike on your side a dog is trying to chase you. Worst of it, it was a Pug breed. They are soo cute and tiny. Thankfully it did not get too close to my front wheel or it would of been cycled over! Pug dug. lol

cd365

Guru
I am also a new dog owner and due to now being out in the dark walking my dog a couple of things I have noticed are:

1) 1) the amount of cyclists without lights hurtling down shared use paths, though some have high-vis on
2) 2) the complete lack of public bins, would never consider leaving it bags of crap up in a tree or anywhere else though

When I do come across a cyclist or a ped I ensure my dog is tightly at my side, he is a very curious puppy so wants to say hi to everyone.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
A couple of years ago we went, with GF's son, his partner and 2 kids, to Wells-next-the-Sea and spent a pleasant hour or so on the beach. As we were packing up her son picked up the baby from the blanket she'd been lying on ready to put her back in the pushchair as a dog came bounding towards us and ran straight across the blanket. Her son shouted at the owner to keep control of his dog. The response we got was "Learn to share the beach". If the dog had run at us 30 seconds earlier it would have run across a 9 month baby. If he hadn't been holding the baby I don't know what he would have done to the owner.
As the owner walked off I noticed that he did put the dog on a lead but no word of apology. I think he realised how close he was to having caused a serious incident and injury.

staffy

Dogs should be banned and culled. Only those professions that need them should be allowed to have them. A bit like guns ie the police can carry them, no one else. There is absolutely no reason for dogs.

This runner mauled by two vicious pit bull type dogs.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16141257
What an intelligent response NOT , you're the type of person that would piss and moan about somebody making a 'Pay some road tax' comment yet you come out with utter dribble like that and why exactly did you choose to post that story concerning supposed pitbulls attacking a man when the OP was telling us about having to brake sharply and telling us of how a dog fouled on a path?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Don't worry about Cranky staffy old boy, he's as soft as the proverbial really. :wub:

This subject has been done to death on here.

staffy

Cheers for the reply Snapper it's just one of those things that's annoying , I am all for people having their opinion it's just when it ventures into the absurd I bite the bait.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
What an intelligent response NOT , you're the type of person that would piss and moan about somebody making a 'Pay some road tax' comment yet you come out with utter dribble like that and why exactly did you choose to post that story concerning supposed pitbulls attacking a man when the OP was telling us about having to brake sharply and telling us of how a dog fouled on a path?

Well you beat me to that.

@ Staffy - you clearly know very little about dogs and typify all the arrogance that mankind has regarding this planet and the other creatures that inhabit it.

Tbh mate I had to have my dog put to sleep last year and your post has needled me. I'd also go so far to say that as a representative of mammals in general he made a better fist of it than you ever could.

staffy

Well you beat me to that.

@ Staffy - you clearly know very little about dogs and typify all the arrogance that mankind has regarding this planet and the other creatures that inhabit it.

Tbh mate I had to have my dog put to sleep last year and your post has needled me. I'd also go so far to say that as a representative of mammals in general he made a better fist of it than you ever could.
Errrr what! because I don't agree with Crankarm saying 'dogs should be banned and culled' , you're saying I know little about dogs please do elaborate on this .

Top Bottom