Bl**dy Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

If the dog had run at us 30 seconds earlier it would have run across a 9 month baby.
Do you really see that as the only possibility> How about "If the dog had run at us 30 seconds earlier it would have noticed something on the blanket and gone round it." I've been around many animals over many years and I've yet to see any of them not notice a human of any age.

@ Staffy - you clearly know very little about dogs and typify all the arrogance that mankind has regarding this planet and the other creatures that inhabit it.

Tbh mate I had to have my dog put to sleep last year and your post has needled me. I'd also go so far to say that as a representative of mammals in general he made a better fist of it than you ever could.
I agree with what you say but I think you mean that to be @ someone other than Staffy.

Errrr what! because I don't agree with Crankarm saying 'dogs should be banned and culled' , you're saying I know little about dogs please do elaborate on this .
Stand down for a while, staffy, as he had agreed with what you said previously. I think he just put the wrong name.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Staffy/Spokeydokey, I think you have your leads crossed :rolleyes:

Crankers is the one with the spoon .....

edit: norm beat me too it!!!!

Bicycle

This could be as much fun as a Helmet Debate. But to stop that happening, we could all try to ease off the throttle a little.

My late father was a most humane and caring man, but regularly wound dog owners up by saying loudly that he'd have all non-working dogs put down as they were not in posession of an immortal soul (this from a man of no faith) and served no useful function in society. It was absolutely clear that he would never hurt a dog. He was having a giggle and stirring things up. Sometimes it worked very well; sometimes he was ignored.

People do that online too, but there are those who let this enrage them. I've fallen for it myself. We all have at one time or another.

Two of the best topics for a guaranteed furious response are pet ownership and cycling safety (including helmet use).

Personally, I find the need to own a dog slightly odd. Even odder are those folk who pay huge sums to buy pedgree dogs and then pay again to have broken pelvises on injured hounds repaired, or put their mutt through the misery of regular injections or similar for debilitating chronic conditions. One neighbour who hads a pedigree mutt pays a HUUUUGE sum in medical insurance, justifying it in terms of the monetary value of the dog... There is no irony west of Oxford. The dog is stupid and I fear the neighbour may be too. Sick dogs represent one reason why God gave us the shotgun. My cat agrees on this last point as far as dogs are concerned. He is unaware that I feel the same way about sick cats.

I've just noticed that he's watching me type this.

He can read.

I am f*cked.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
My cat agrees on this last point as far as dogs are concerned. He is unaware that I feel the same way about sick cats.

I've just noticed that he's watching me type this.

He can read.

I am f*cked.[/quote]

:laugh:

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Surprisingly, responsible dog owners have the same problem ....

yep, just as annoying to responsible dog owners!!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Used to pass the same old gent and his two Border Collies on the Ferry Road Path every morning when I first started out cycling. He'd see me coming, issue a command and the dogs would both drop and lie down until I'd passed. We'd exchange a friendly greeting / mention the weather as I slowly ambled by. Of course, using the roads for the last 4 years I've not seen him in a long, long time and I really do miss that little part of the morning routine.

What I don't miss are the irresponsible idiots letting their dogs crap everywhere, or the local neds thinking it was great fun to let their Rottweiler go for me as I cycled past.

Like good and bad drivers / cyclists / people, there are good and bad dog owners. Life's just like that.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Errrr what! because I don't agree with Crankarm saying 'dogs should be banned and culled' , you're saying I know little about dogs please do elaborate on this .

Oh Staffy - so sorry - not sure why I put @ Staffy - mean't to put @ original poster. Sincere apologies! Idiot moment this end. Hope I am forgiven!

Presume you are a dog lover too - my boy is over there on the left - died a week after his 12th birthday - devastated!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My favourite line is the 'oh don't worry he won't hurt you' line you get from dog owners - well how am I supposed to know that as the vile, snarling creature bounds towards me, making a beeline for my ankles. Is it Germany where dogs are required by law to be on leads at all times in public? Would be good here and might stop dogs running riot among livestock/ ground nesting birds too as is common hereabouts. And ban the feckin' bastards from beaches too.

Bad timing for me this thread I'm afraid, as I came home earlier with a shoe covered in dog sh*te yet again! Frankly if I never saw another friggin' dog it would be too soon.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
My favourite line is the 'oh don't worry he won't hurt you' line you get from dog owners - well how am I supposed to know that as the vile, snarling creature bounds towards me, making a beeline for my ankles. Is it Germany where dogs are required by law to be on leads at all times in public? Would be good here and might stop dogs running riot among livestock/ ground nesting birds too as is common hereabouts. And ban the feckin' bastards from beaches too.

Bad timing for me this thread I'm afraid, as I came home earlier with a shoe covered in dog sh*te yet again! Frankly if I never saw another friggin' dog it would be too soon.

The HIghway Code says that dogs should be on leads when on a pavement or cycle path, it's almost universally ignored. :-(

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Do you really see that as the only possibility> How about "If the dog had run at us 30 seconds earlier it would have noticed something on the blanket and gone round it." I've been around many animals over many years and I've yet to see any of them not notice a human of any age.

The dog in question ran through the group of us standing around the blanket and picnic stuff, as we were packing up, sending things flying. Our only concern was where the kids were. The speed that it ran in it was not going to stop and it didn't. It ran between us across the blanket and out the other side.

I don't believe dogs should be banned or culled but kept under some sort of control where vulnerable people are around.

Norm

Ok, I wasn't there (obviously ^_^) so I can't comment further, beyond repeating that I'd be very surprised if a dog actually stood on a child.

And I agree with your second point, and argued that a couple of times with Mrs Norm until she got the point. If a dog is running at you and barking, it is as scary as anything. And it doesn't matter whether or not it is wagging its tail and being followed by someone shouting "It's all right, he's very friendly", that is not acceptable behaviour for a dog.

Top Bottom