Bl**dy Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
In order for civilisation to tick along nicely we need to tolerate one another's foibles and accept that everyone makes mistakes.

Part of this entails not ranting about BLOODY DOG OWNERS, BLOODY WOMEN WITH PUSHCHAIRS, BLOODY CYCLISTS or PEOPLE WHO WALK TOO BLOODY SLOWLY every time someone fitting the above categories mildly inconveniences you.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Why should a well trained dog have to be on a lead where there are no people/cyclists/other? I've spent time, money and energy ensuring she has excellent command and recall.

I hate the retractable leads and the only long lead I have ever possessed is one used for training. The lead/harness fitted in public places is short.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069853
Other animals

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

Or do you just want to pick and chose which bits of the Highway code you like and want to follow?

"Give cyclist room" Oh yes like that one, everyone should do that... "Dogs... Keep it on a short lead..." Nahh don't like that bit, I'll ignore it?

Other animals

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

Or do you just want to pick and chose which bits of the Highway code you like and want to follow?

"Give cyclist room" Oh yes like that one, everyone should do that... "Dogs... Keep it on a short lead..." Nahh don't like that bit, I'll ignore it?
I presume you wear belt and ankle bands as the Highway code advises or is that a bit you choose to ignore?

Little yellow Brompton

I presume you wear belt and ankle bands as the Highway code advises or is that a bit you choose to ignore?

No, I read the full line...

"reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark"
and chose the "reflective clothing" part , making the "and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands)" redundant.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Other animals

Are you all there? :rolleyes:

So when I go walking over Cannock Chase, through forests, for example, you expect the dog to be kept on a lead?? Or does the Highway Code apply to forest and woodland areas?

I've never said I don't keep her on a lead on public pathways etc because I do.

No, I read the full line...

"reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark"
and chose the "reflective clothing" part , making the "and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands)" redundant.

and the cycle helmet, fluorescent/light clothing in the daylight as well, every ride?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I blame the farmers as well - their cow's poo all over the roads, and I get covered in it. Not nice following a wheel and a 'mate' goes through a big sloppy pile and you are right behind the rear wheel. :evil: Fields are for cows ! :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd advise taking the new Magicshine 880 down the canal path and vapourising everyone in your path - you'd have a nice person/animal free ride !

Jezston

Über Member
and the cycle helmet, fluorescent/light clothing in the daylight as well, every ride?

None of these, including the dog stuff has any "YOU MUST" in it, so it's all recommendations rather than law.

Chill, gents.

ATEOTD dog shoot is a pain in the arse for everyone .... especially for those owners with dogs that have an obsessions of with rolling around in the stuff. xx(

As far as I can tell my friends biggest problem when we take his dog out is stopping him eating it:eek:

No stories from me that someone else hasnt already shared a variation of, having had a couple years now of sharing paths I'd say dog owners arn't the worst people I can meet. Frankly its nice to meet a couple dog walkers sometimes to share a hello with:thumbsup: Better than those flashers the 'canal path cycling' thread is warning me about:huh:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The problem with so called "designated cycle paths" is that they are not exclusive use paths, they just mean you can ride your bike on them.

I was at Fowlmead at the weekend, where the tarmac cycle track is very explicitly designated exclusively for the use of cyclists, with plentiful signs everywhere warning pedestrians not to walk on it. I still encountered plenty of dog walkers using the track, including a large group taking up its whole width at one point.

The best way to avoid dog walkers, thier dogs and the mess associated with them is to use the properly surfaced designated cycle paths called roads

I often use the Crab & Winkle Way between Whitstable and Canterbury, a shared offroad path for cyclists and pedestrians. It's a quiet, flattish route, well away from the busy main road, which is narrow, twisty and hilly and thoroughly unpleasant to cycle on at peak traffic times. You're not seriously suggesting that I should be forced off this pleasanter alternative and have to take the main road just because some inconsiderate twerps can't be bothered to keep their animals under control? Are you? Really?

When I'm in charge, my first act will be to ban umbrellas. Hateful things. And then I'll ban coat hangers. Yuck. But my third act will be to make it law for dog owners to keep their animals on a short leash at all times when in public places.

d.

Little yellow Brompton

I blame the farmers as well - their cow's poo all over the roads, and I get covered in it. Not nice following a wheel and a 'mate' goes through a big sloppy pile and you are right behind the rear wheel. :evil: Fields are for cows ! :wacko:
Not to mention that damage that is done to the road surface by the effluent. There is near me a lane that is locally called "cowshit canyon" where the road surface has been destroyed by the milking herd , so much so that the LA had to resurface it a few years ago.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Spokey, I hope you're not having a go at me now, as I was the OP. If anyone can be bothered to read a post properly before making a kneejerk reaction it would be appreciated. I'm a dog owner myself and was having a go at the irresponsible owners, not the dogs. However, I can understand the negativity towards dogs from people who've suffered from the selfish attitude of those owners even if it's misplaced.

No, not you. I mean't the original poster of the bit that was quoted by Staffy not the OP of the whole thread. I did read your post properly and thought it was fine. Hope that's cleared that up sorry about the confusion - in future I'll quote post numbers! ^_^

staffy

As far as the having dogs on leads at all times thing goes , I had my dog on a lead on the PAVEMENT the other day whilst he was sniffing a hedge some d*ck decides to ride right at me at a pace then slams on rides around me stops ten feet ahead when I mention to him to ride on the road seeing as he is an adult he tells me 'maybe you should walk your dogs in the park' the funny thing was it was me he was going to hit and it had nothing to do with my dog. I've experienced it from both sides when riding on a cyclepath a dog owner {not the dog} has decided to let it roam across the path and when they see me they give a bemused look as to why I want to pass , I've also had it whilst walking on the canal path where I stand in with my dog to let a bike past and they go hurtling past and not so much as a 'thanks' and before you say well I should have your dog under control I'm on about me myself standing in so they can pass on their own little race track.

Top Bottom