Bl**dy Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm so sorry to hear of your dogs death do not want to think of it with mine , yours was a Weirmaraner judging by the pic ?

Yup his name was Arnie - he was born in Arneside Lake District.

Good dog, he was stock trained and the local farmers allowed him off leash (but on heel) in the fields full of sheep around our house. He was well trained with instant recall and would hit the deck on command even at full pelt. I used to clear all his (considerable) crap up - so guess he is off the hook with some of this threads comments!:laugh:

He was a mountain dog, climbed 71 Munroes, logged 200+ long hill days, Climbed Ben Nevis 14 times and Scafell Pike 12, completed the Three Peaks twice etc etc.

Only trouble he ever caused was he sneaked into next doors house and stole some Hot Cross buns and raided a picnic that had been set up across a bridleway, completely obstructing it by about 8 people. Initially they were not amused but when he sat and begged they ended up feeding him! He obviously charmed them.

We get very little anti-dog sentiment in this part of the world so some of these comments have taken me by surprise.

staffy

He sounds like he was a lovely thing Spokey , I'm used to people not being fond of dogs myself as many of the people where I live are from non dog as pets cultures and I don't expect people to like them because I do but people have gone mad IMO with dog hatred when I walk the street I can be 20 feet from somebody with my dog on a 4 foot lead and they will still make a song and dance at the sight of my dogs.

Hip Priest

Veteran
He sounds like he was a lovely thing Spokey , I'm used to people not being fond of dogs myself as many of the people where I live are from non dog as pets cultures and I don't expect people to like them because I do but people have gone mad IMO with dog hatred when I walk the street I can be 20 feet from somebody with my dog on a 4 foot lead and they will still make a song and dance at the sight of my dogs.

It's bigotry, plain & simple. It's no different from giving cyclists stick when they're doing nothing wrong.

Yup his name was Arnie - he was born in Arneside Lake District.

Good dog, he was stock trained and the local farmers allowed him off leash (but on heel) in the fields full of sheep around our house. He was well trained with instant recall and would hit the deck on command even at full pelt. I used to clear all his (considerable) crap up - so guess he is off the hook with some of this threads comments!:laugh:

He was a mountain dog, climbed 71 Munroes, logged 200+ long hill days, Climbed Ben Nevis 14 times and Scafell Pike 12, completed the Three Peaks twice etc etc.

Only trouble he ever caused was he sneaked into next doors house and stole some Hot Cross buns and raided a picnic that had been set up across a bridleway, completely obstructing it by about 8 people. Initially they were not amused but when he sat and begged they ended up feeding him! He obviously charmed them.

We get very little anti-dog sentiment in this part of the world so some of these comments have taken me by surprise.

Sounds a great companion Spokey and I love going to the Lakes with mine, nearly all dog friendly, as most country areas are.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I spend a lot of time in the local mountains and lower Fells in this part of the world and a handful of times every year I come across human crap, usually accompanied by sheets of crap stained tissue.

On the basis of some of the logic on here I guess that because of this the entire human race should be culled.

paulw1969

Ridley rider

Hi
might be a silly question (with your tag name being Staffy) but what breed of dog you have?

Hip Priest

Veteran
I love weimaraners. My dog, a whippet, would often play with one on the fields by my estate. Chasing each other around...etc My dog is fast, but thick, and the weimaraner would always corner her using stealth! Very intelligent dogs.

staffy

Hi
might be a silly question (with your tag name being Staffy) but what breed of dog you have?
Hi there , it's not a silly question at all after all it could be for anything but yes Staffy is the breed of my two they're mum and son and I'm used to snobbery from even other dog owners thanks to idiot owners ruining the breeds reputation and misreported news stories. That looks like a Staff puppy in your pic I have to say it should be illegal to have something that cute and adorable maybe a ban should be placed on it :tongue:.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I spend a lot of time in the local mountains and lower Fells in this part of the world and a handful of times every year I come across human crap, usually accompanied by sheets of crap stained tissue.

Yeah, I've come across of human shite whilst on MTB trails (Marin, Afan, FTD). Always thought MTB riders were dirty b*astards. :tongue:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've experienced it from both sides...

I'm sure most of us have, and I'm sure we'd all agree that there are inconsiderate people among all social groups, including cyclists. And I hope we'd agree that it's wrong to hate on all members of a particular social group just because they are members of that social group. Except estate agents and bankers.

d.

You're not seriously suggesting that I should be forced off this pleasanter alternative and have to take the main road just because some inconsiderate twerps can't be bothered to keep their animals under control? Are you? Really?

Whatever gave you that impression?

You may ride you bike where you like, if you find this rout more pleasant than another, then by all means use it.

I was just pointing out a generalization that roads offer a dog free alternative to paths. Of course specific examples will vary and like all generalizations, there will be exceptions.

Enjoy your ride amongst the doggy doo.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was just pointing out a generalization that roads offer a dog free alternative to paths.

You can't just throw that out as if you live in some utopia where roads are a welcoming environment for cyclists, neglecting to take into account the fact that some people prefer cycle paths because they offer a car-free alternative to roads.

Enjoy your ride amongst the doggy doo.

I was rather hoping to be able to enjoy my ride without that bonus feature. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expressing my disappointment with those inconsiderate dog owners who make cycle paths less pleasant than they could be.

I don't like football hooligans either, but the answer isn't to go to cricket matches instead. I like football, not cricket, see? Having to put up with football hooligans shouldn't be the price I have to pay for my preference.

d.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I airzounded a dog walker today. It was on the local river path and the owner was on one side of it, and the dog on the other, with the strap connecting them both going straight across the path.
I gave a toot, and it made the guy jump. He ran across to his dog and I apologised but noticed he had earphones in.

It really made me laugh because he jumped about 2 foot off the ground as well as his dog.

Top Bottom