Bl**dy pavement riding RLJ's...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

MacBludgeon said:
IGod I'm sad, I've just counted up all the stuff on my commute, so I have:-

2 traffic lights
1 level crossing - very unlucky to get caught at it
7 largeish roundabouts
6 mini roundabouts
15 turns at T junctions or crossroads - doesn't include some turns at roundabouts

I like level crossings, on one of my routes back from work there's one on a busy line so it's normal to have to wait. I get off and park the bike, open a pannier for something, twiddle with the computer, clean my glasses and enjoy the scenary while smiling at the increasingly impatient motorists alongside. It's hard not to laugh at the revving when the barriers start to rise. Great fun.

Twanger

Über Member
24 sets of lights here.

So where does this end?Total disregard for other people?

Im going away at the end of August where people have nicer manners.

I hope you RLJers don't moan when you get cut up yet again by a moton either using a mobile phone or not.It's the same thing to me.Disregard by all roadusers for the rules.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I don't see that many red lights round this way, but stop at 'em all (unless one of those stupid ones that don't 'see' cyclists, then will cross with care.

If I am stopped at one and a 'cyclist' goes through I will tell them what I think of their riding, which will let motorists know not all 'cyclists' jump reds.

I've got a set of those lights that dont see me generally early in the morning.Used to be fine when they worked via the circuit in the road.

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
Im going away at the end of August where people have nicer manners.

I hope you RLJers don't moan when you get cut up yet again by a moton either using a mobile phone or not.It's the same thing to me.Disregard by all roadusers for the rules.

Popping over to Vietnam I hope still :eek:

Second points I'd agree with. If you want to ignore some rules then I don't see why anyone else should be of a higher standard. RLJing where I am is pointless, it wouldn't actually save me any time. I'd much rather set a good example.

I have, occasionally, ignored lights very late at night, but only when there wasn't anyone around....if a cyclists jumps a red light but no ones sees it, did it really happen :smile:. Though if I did get caught I wouldn't start fussing if I got pulled over/start complaining about someone on their mobile.

Well im going to Bangkok but yes i'd like to visit Vietnam.Just reminded me but been so busy with work I haven't got round to it.Where did you stay before you went to Vietnam?

Fair enough I know im ranting about RLJers but this goes across the whole spectrum to people putting their feet on seats of trains.They don't do that in Japan.I doubt if they do it at home at least not without taking their shoes off.

That's what I say nice to get away from the rat-race,that's what a holiday is all about.

Second trip to Bangkok so next year I plan to go to either the Valley of Death or Egypt.Not sure yet.I get bored if I go to the same place more than twice.

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
Well im going to Bangkok but yes i'd like to visit Vietnam.Just reminded me but been so busy with work I haven't got round to it.Where did you stay before you went to Vietnam?

Which part are you going? Feel free to PM me with questions :smile:

It depends what you're up for and what you're after. The best place we stayed was Hanoi Backpacker Hostel (one in Hue too). Quite cheap dorm room and it is really good socially.

However, we didn't have any problems with budget hotels. The HCMC one was the worst (no window) but could put up with it for a couple of nights.

OOHHH, just re-read the question...Don't feel like deleting all the above soo, we flew from heathrow to BKK. In BKK we stayed in Lub D Hostel, which is nice! About £10 a night for a dorm. Not the cheapest place! We had a night and a day, before catching a 19.00 flight over. Had the three weeks, back to Bangkok and stayed in HQ hostel (near Pat Pong). I would stay there again, they had ammmamazzziinnggg duvets and pillows! Freezing cold air con too :smile:

I'm actually looking at doing some Vietnamese lessons with a local firm when back at UNI. I'd like to go again for a bit longer so it'd be nice to speak a bit more. We had some really good times with locals just using the few phrases we learnt.

Im staying in the Grand China Princess in Bangkok (Chinatown) same hotel again.

I dunno what im up for and what im after.Probably a bit of that Indiana Jones stuff but I am knocking on a bit.

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
Im staying in the Grand China Princess in Bangkok (Chinatown) same hotel again.

I dunno what im up for and what im after.Probably a bit of that Indiana Jones stuff but I am knocking on a bit.

We did a 2 day SaPa trekking trip with Hanoi backpackers which was great fun. Expect to be falling over and incredibly muddy but it was really good fun. Cost a reasonable amount, forget what exactly though. If you do it, you'll have these tribal women follow you. You'll have to spend a few quid and buy something, but make as much use of them as possible (you'll be 'forced' into buying something anyway).

equicyclist

thomas said:
Actually, talking about illegitimate pavement users, I saw a horse & horse rider walking along the pavement on Wednesday - is that legal?

I expect that if its a space set aside for walkers then its not legal but.....if the rider can prove he was avoiding an accident by doing so then may probably get away with it. Riders tend to do so on very busy roads where the cards are not mindful of them as a vulnerable user a bit like children riding their bikes on the pavement really. Safety first.

Mark_Robson

I find it hard to believe that the majority of people here haven't at some time ridden on pavements.
This thread seems to be fixated with commuting and being brave enough to ride on the roads, well I see lots of cyclists who don't have the confidence to ride on the roads as roads are a scary place for the inexperienced.
When I cycle alone I never use the pavements now, but when I first got back into cycling I used to for most of my journeys, and I make no bones about it, it was because I was frightened of the traffic.
Saying that when I am out with my two children we often use the pavements and we have done so since they learned to ride. I am weaning them onto the roads but but they don't have enough road sense yet to ride on the roads safely. I have seen many policeman over the years, on foot and on bikes and not one has suggested that what I am doing is wrong. We always give pedestrians the right of way and we are always courteous.
One of the problems I find is that we have cycle paths that suddenly stop when the path narrows and then restart 100m further along where the path is slightly wider so if it's clear you carry on using the pavement rather than dropping onto the road. If I were to see a parent with a eight year old on the pavement it wouldn't bother me in the least but I would hate to see the eight year old trying to navigate a busy road.
I think that it's easy to be elitist but not everyone who rides a bike is as hardcore or experienced as you lot. The way to get people off the pavements is to make the roads safer and less intimidating. We need a cycle lane either beside or on every arterial road.

And just to go totally off topic, I have never understood why some people sneer at cyclists who use cycle paths or cycle lanes.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I personally don't use cycle paths because I find that they can meander quite a lot through side streets in London and I find they slow me down.

Paradoxically the reasons above are also the reasons I think they are invaluable, I certainly wouldn't recommend a timid or new cyclist to brave the Old Kent Road in rush hour. So the two things I DON'T want to happen are:

1. Using cycle paths when present to become mandatory
2. Any less money be put in to developing new ones and improving existing ones.

I certainly wouldn't look down on someone for using one. In fact if they think it's a better place for them then I wouldn't want them in front of me on the OKR. :ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mark_Robson said:
And just to go totally off topic, I have never understood why some people sneer at cyclists who use cycle paths or cycle lanes.

I don't think many people on here would sneer at someone for using a cycle lane or path. They might suggest that using a cycle lane (as opposed to a path) tended to put the rider in a bad position, since such lanes are often too narrow and in the gutter, full of debris etc.

Paths are different. If they go where you want to go, and don't have a stupid barrier every few hundred yards, or take you alone through a dodgy area, they are brilliant. Again, it's not using them that can be a problem, it's trying to rely on them totally and therefore not gaining the skills needed to use the road when necessary.

Top Bottom